20 Things You Know If You're From Bad Axe, Michigan

Once a Hatchet, always a Hatchet.

2415
Grant Smith

With a population of 3,055 in 2013 according to the U.S. Census Bureau, Bad Axe, Michigan, is the largest town in Huron County. Surrounded by sugar beet fields and one of the five Great Lakes, growing up in Bad Axe was a unique experience.

Here are 20 things you know if you're from Bad Axe, Michigan:

1. When you tell people where you're from, they always ask you to repeat yourself.

No, I'm not saying "Bad Ass."

2. They then proceed to make a joke suggesting you're a bad ass.

As if you haven't heard it a thousand times.

3. People think you're crazy when you explain how your town got its name.

Some people way back when apparently found a broken axe stuck in a tree and decided to name the city after it. We even have it on display in our library. I'm not making this up.

4. You get confused looks when you say your town's name is Bad Axe but your high school's mascot is a hatchet.

We're the Bad Axe Hatchets. I know it doesn't make sense; just go with it.

5. For fun in town, you either went bowling or went to the movie theater.

And during the summer when everyone was out of school, the bowling alley would close so even that wasn't an option anymore.

6. Sometimes you'd just go walk around Walmart for a while.

It's the biggest store in the entire county. Everyone goes there.

7. You know you have to go in early if you want fresh Murphy's Bakery donuts.

5 A.M., baby. Totally worth it for a warm, gooey, early-morning donut.

8. You went to the fair every year.

Because the county fair is right in town, there was no reason not to go.

9. You paid far too much money to go to the fair every year.

The rides get worse every year and there's just too many creepy people for it to be worth it. Bechler's lemonade though, am I right?

10. You can't remember how many different names that one restaurant building has had.

You know the one. Across from Sonoco. It's been bought and sold so many times. What is it even called now?

11. If you wanted a nice meal, you either went to Rachel's or drove to the city.

And the city was at least an hour and a half away, making it not even worth it to go sometimes.

12. Big Boy was the place to go after big school events.

Like 8th Grade Rec, graduation, athletic events, etc.

13. No matter where you go, you're going to see at least three people you know.

It's impossible to not see someone. Sometimes you don't want to see people though, and then you try and hide in the aisles of McDonalds Food and Family or Walmart or wherever you happen to be. It doesn't always work out very well.

14. Hatchet Festival was just an excuse to shoot off fireworks and have a beer tent, tbh.

It's supposed to be a family affair with inflatables and a petting zoo, but let's be real, it was more for the adults to have a place to party.

15. Parades were a big deal.

People would literally set their chairs up on main street hours ahead of time to claim their spot.

16. And homecoming was possibly the most exciting thing to happen all year.

The whole town gets so hyped up about homecoming. Everyone is wearing blue and gold and it's the only time of year that the stands at Claude Marsh stadium are full.

17. Being twenty-ish minutes from the lake made for some really great summers.

Hot day? Drive to the beach. Want to go fish? Walk the break wall? You'll be there in no time.

18. You may have even jumped off the break wall once or twice (or ten times).

I've never done it myself, but I've heard stories. I should get around to doing that someday.

19. You know that we've shared a good deal of heartbreak.

So many incredible people in Bad Axe and the surrounding area have left us, but they'll always be in our hearts.

20. No matter where you go, you'll always remember our small town.

Once a Hatchet, always a Hatchet.