20 Things You Didn't Know You Needed For Your New Apartment

A Shopping List For Everything You've Forgotten

941
whchomes

The time has finally come. You are moving off campus into your own apartment. Originally, the move sounded like an exciting adventure. There are no RAs, hardly any rules, and you have your own kitchen! Everything was going great until you forgot all the little things that you need to function in your new apartment. Silverware and bedding are givens, but there are plenty of things that did not cross your mind. So, here is a pseudo-shopping list of items you probably forgot.

Kitchen

1. Dishwasher Detergent

If you are lucky enough to have a dishwasher in your apartment, you probably need something to put in it. Additionally, dishwashers need a special type of soap. Using regular dish soap will just lead to a soapy floor.

2. Sponges

If you do not have a dishwasher, sponges are your lifelines. No one wants to touch a plate of day-old pasta that you accidentally left in the sink overnight. Use a sponge.

3. Spatula

This is a very reasonable item to forget. You are not going to be flipping burgers, so why do you need one? There is a simple answer to this: grilled cheese. How can you possibly make that crispy, gooey, cheesy goodness without a spatula? You can’t.

4. Whisk

You probably will not use a whisk as much as a spatula; but, it is still a kitchen necessity. While you can use a fork for smaller projects, such as scrambled eggs, only a whisk will help you whip up those brownies for your cute new neighbors.

5. Plastic Wrap and Tin Foil

There are so many things that you will need plastic wrap and tin foil for: covering leftovers, packaging leftovers, and microwaving leftovers. Basically, you need them for leftovers. But, you went through the trouble of making food, so you better be able to enjoy it multiple times.

6. Dishtowels

You probably remembered bath towels and washcloths but not these kitchen necessities. Dishtowels dry all of your dishes and help you quickly clean up the counter when you spill an entire cup of coffee on it.

7. Measuring Utensils

While your standard meal is probably a bowl of cereal, you may have a desire to make a more complicated meal. If you don’t have measuring cups or spoons, you are pretty much cooking with a blindfold on.

8. Cutting Board

Sure, you could use the countertop to cut your ingredients. However, you probably will not receive your safety deposit back.

9. Silverware Organizer

So, you got silverware, but now all of the utensils are thrown together in a drawer. A silverware organizer helps you find a spoon easily without having to choose seven knives and forks before you grab one.

10. Can Opener

There is little hope of opening a can without a can opener. Even if you try, you will just end up with a can full of holes.

11. Coasters

It is great that your mom is loaning you a coffee table for your living room. What is not great is returning it with glass rings. Protect your furniture.

Living Room

12. Throw Pillows

No couch is complete without some cute throw pillows. Here, you can have some fun with different colors and patterns.

13. Side Table

You bought a lamp and now have nowhere to put it. So, you probably should buy an end table. Then, you have a place to put all of those year-old magazines you have been hoarding.

14. Art

Your bedroom is probably already decked out with pictures of your friends and family and personal objects. But, the living room wall often gets overlooked. So, find some cute prints online or steal some artwork from your art major friends.

15. Dining Table

Sure, you could just eat your meals on the couch or in you room. However, sitting down at a table never gets old. Plus, it is so much easier to multitask and do homework at a table.

Bathroom

16. Toilet Plunger

When your toilet clogs, a toilet plunger is essential. Calling your landlord for every quick fix is not ideal. If you can fix it easily, you should.

17. Bathroom Cleaner

Bathrooms get dirty and you can’t clean them with some simple Clorox. Only true bathroom cleaner can get all of those toothpaste and shampoo stains off the counter and shower.

18. Bath Mat

Nothing is worse than a soaking wet floor. A bath mat prevents that and adds a bit of personality to your bathroom. Plus, it feels like you are stepping onto a cloud when you exit the shower.

19. Shower Rings

You may have remembered to bring a shower curtain, but what about shower rings? That curtain is useless if you have nothing to hang it on.

20. Toilet Paper

If you lived in a dorm with a communal bathroom, you are probably not used to supplying yourself with toilet paper. However, now, this is the most important item in your bathroom. You don’t want to be left alone in the apartment without some spare TP.