20 Best Books To Read This Winter | The Odyssey Online

20 Best Books To Read This Winter

If you're bored this winter, grab a book and read!

31
20 Best Books To Read This Winter
Deviant Art

Stuck with nothing to do while you’re snowed in this break? Have no fear, Lena is here! These are some of my favorite books that can inflict all sorts of emotions. Make sure you have plenty of time though, I picked up these books and could not put them down. Some are fiction, some are nonfiction.

20. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Do stories of dysfunctional families intrigue you? GREAT! This book will cause some confusion and conflicting feelings but it is so worth reading. Heathcliff is an interesting character that will leave you wanting to read it.

19. We Were The Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

Another novel about dysfunctional families. It’s a common theme in many novels. When I first read this book it was so slow and boring but as I read further into the book it really ripped my heart out. It is a fairly long novel but it will bring tears and heartfelt feelings. The secret that destroys the family will haunt you forever.

18. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I had to include this novel. It’s the first book I’ve read by John Green. I’m pretty sure everyone predicted the ending before it happened but it is still a great cheesy love story.

17. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

This book ripped my heart out and put it back together just to make it break again. Nicholas Sparks is known for his romantic books and this is one of my favorites. It is worth reading but make sure to have a box of tissues nearby!

16. Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for a love story? You won’t find it here! The story follows the main character Miles, through his time at a boarding school, Culver Creek. Beware of the twist that comes towards the middle of the book.

15. Divergent by Veronica Roth

I’m sure many people have seen the movie and didn’t read the book BUT as long as it is, it has more details and is a great story. Think Hunger Games but instead of teens murdering each other, they must chose an area that they feel carries the same traits that they have.

14. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Does social status affect how we live our lives? In this book, yes. Definitely. It’s a book that really leaves an impact on your life. I read it years ago and STILL remember how much it affected me.

13. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

In high school, I took AP English and this was one of the books we could read. I chose it at first because it was one of the shorter ones BUT definitely worth the read. The dialect is hard to read at first but after a few pages you’ll get the hang of it. Janie Crawford, the narrator throughout the book, is an independent, strong woman who goes through many hardships but somehow seems to make it out okay.

12. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

One of my all-time favorite nonfiction books ever. Many of us have never heard the name Henrietta Lacks but without her, (her cells specifically) we would not have advanced as quickly as we have in science. The book is Skloot tracking down her life and really letting everyone know who she was as a person.

11. the perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Ever wanted to read a short book but will also leave an impact? Look no further! Charlie writes letters to a “friend” (assumingly the reader) and he describes his freshman year. He is surrounded by different people who have different lives but they all contribute to his well-being.

10. will grayson will grayson by John Green and David Levithan

This book is about two teens with the exact same name and how they meet. It switches up chapters to see different point-of-views of both of them. It’s a lighthearted and love story book.

9. Paper Towns by John Green

This is also a movie but I have not been able to watch it. I am afraid that it’s going to be a love story type movie, when it really isn’t that way. Sometimes, we all need to get away, and not be saved.

8. It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

Psych wards are good settings for books right?! This book may be fiction but honestly it opened my eyes to a new world. Witty and funny are great qualities for a book to have.

6. speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Not only is this book powerful, but the movie is also just as good. The book follows Melinda Sordino, a freshman that was raped by a senior at a party. The deterioration of her mental health is really hard to read about but it is a book that everyone should read.

7. Diary of an Oxygen Thief by Anonymous

“(opening line)” Any girls have to deal with guys who acted this way? (Kidding but not really) This is honestly a pretty confusing but also crazy book from beginning to end. Also it is pretty short and the words are pretty big!

5. Tell No One by Harlan Coben

I accidentally bought this book but I decided to keep it and read it anyways. I AM SO GLAD I DID! It’s a thriller, which is one of my favorite genres for books. There is an unexpected twist and a curveball thrown at you.

4. Pet Sematary by Stephen King

*shivers* These are one of those novels that grips you, pulls you in and leaves an impression. Stephen King is an extraordinary writer, especially for the horror genre. Think zombies, but instead of blood, guts and gore, it’s more twisted, psychological, and murderous.

3. Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler

Dysfunctional families appear again! This time around, it is the mom’s treatment that ends up hurting her kids in the future. I don’t want to give too much away, but abuse runs rampant in this book and it is hard to read but definitely worth it.

2. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Want to stay up during the night and have chills running down your spine? First off, this novel is nonfiction so these events actually happened. It is interesting to see how Truman Capote “investigated” this small town that was struck by an unforeseeable murder.

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

THIS. BOOK. IS. NOT. OKAY. I actually watched the movie first so I ruined the twist, but even reading the book after the movie gave me anxiety. I honestly remember pulling an all-nighter just to finish this book. If you like suspense AND drama, this one is for you!! Just be prepared to yell “WHAT!” and be yelled at by your mom for being loud (sorry mom).

These are only some of the many books I have read, but the spine chilling and love stories are perfect for a day in! Enjoy the books!!