19 Truths About Living In East Lyme, Connecticut

What is this "kiva" you speak of?

963

1. The struggle of taking a picture-perfect Niantic Bay Boardwalk Sunset shot without Millstone Nuclear Power Plant in the background.

Do people not have one of those in their town? I thought that was normal. And yes, I experienced this while taking my cover picture.

2. Trying to explain to someone what a “kiva” is…

Like one big classroom made up of four smaller classrooms… Plus a huge common area in the middle… with some steps kids sit on… that can get pretty uncomfortable for tall kids. It’s a You-Had-To-Be-There-Kinda-Thing.

SEE ALSO:5 Instagram-Worthy Towns In Connecticut That You Need To Visit

3. The absurdly long line for Dairy Queen on Summer nights.

Priorities, people!

4. Trying to explain to college friends that you’re not from that part of Connecticut that has crazy money.

5. Trying to explain to college friends that you’re not from that part of Connecticut that has crazy money after complaining to your friends about crazy summer tourist traffic.

6. Crazy summer tourist traffic.

7. Crazy summer tourists.

Shoobies, as they're often affectionately called. Not to be confused with the people who legitimately own vacation homes in your town.

8. Debating whether or not your need for groceries is worth seeing every single living organism you know inside of Stop and Shop.

… Mom, can you do it? I know I’m almost 20, buuut…

9. Watching some teenager try to sit at the baby table at Frosty Treat only to have the owner come out and yell at them.

Every. Single. Time.

10. Going to the movies at Niantic Cinemas without your parents for the first time.

God, what a rush. Does anyone actually refer to Niantic Cinemas as “Niantic Cinemas”? I could’ve sworn for the first 16 years of my life going to the movies automatically meant downtown Niantic.

11. Leaving your bubble and finding out that lacrosse is often thought of as a Rich White People Sport.

(Not that I approve). Don’t kids from East Lyme come out of the womb with a lacrosse stick? It literally took me the first 10 years of my life to realize I wasn’t any good. Another six to realize I actually almost never caught the ball. Also that I was kind of scared of it.

12. Only kids from East Lyme (and Salem) are allowed to talk about the flaws of East Lyme.

Anybody from any other town in the Eastern Connecticut Conference (ECC) says anything in a negative light and they’re automatically uninvited to East Lyme Day. Or is it just me on this one?

13. Knowing things about other people you’ve never even met.

This is true of every small town, but things you sometimes didn’t even want to know… Things you could’ve gone your whole life without knowing... Do I sound scarred?

14. The curiosity behind meeting new Salem kids between Eighth Grade and Freshman year.

15. The Salem Jokes that some people find funny their first year of high school.

And, unfortunately, sometimes later than that. Spoiler alert: they’re not actually funny!

16. Rachel Redding is the coolest teacher/coach you will ever have.

Amazing woman, excellent coach. Should you be lucky enough to take one of her classes, and perhaps if you earn the right to help her with...*clears throat* The Viking Print Shop, try not to take her sarcasm for granted. Worship her.

17. East Lyme Day is practically the class reunion you never wanted.

Except sweatier and sometimes fun.

18. The unspoken (or sometimes spoken) rivalry between what elementary school you hail from.

Lily B, Niantic Center, or Flanders-- it won't matter after the fact, but it also kinda will. Regardless, Flanders is clearly the best.

SEE ALSO: 12 Telltale Signs You Grew Up In Connecticut

19. Leaving home just to miss home.

I don’t plan on coming home to stay after college, but I’m so happy I got the chance to grow up here. I love poking fun at little things only residents would know, I love the friends I made, I love only having to drive down the street to the beach, and I love knowing that no matter where I go, no other place will feel quite like it.