19 Lessons I Learned In 19 Years | The Odyssey Online

19 Lessons I Learned In 19 Years

“Growing up happens when you start having things you look back on and wish you could change." -Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes

14
19 Lessons I Learned In 19 Years
Cameron Cummings

As I just turned 19 on May 19, I've had some time to digest the beginning of the end: my last year as a teenager. Here are some important things I've learned in these past 19 years.

1. Don't take any wooden nickels

This means don't settle for less than what you are worth. My father used to say it to me everyday before I got out of the car to go to school and I always blew it off until I realized exactly how right he was.

2. Not everyone will stay in your life

And that's OK. It makes the ones who do stick around that more special.

3. Don't believe everything

Whether it's a "sneaky" boy, a nasty rumor, or even a shady friend. ALWAYS trust your gut and look into it more if it seems a little bit sketchy.

4. You're going to regret not going to school events

I know the football team sucks but trust me, you will definitely miss the feel of a cool Friday night on the bleacher with your friends.

5. Lighten up

You're a kid. Live a little! Don't take everything so seriously. This is your time to do whatever you want (as long as mom says it's cool).

6. Listen to your parents. They want what's best.

LISTEN when they tell you not to date a certain boy or hang out with a certain group or go to sketchy places. They are trying to protect you and they usually can see when something is going to go wrong way before you can.

7. Explore as much as you can

I've been blessed by the awesome opportunities to have traveled all over the U.S. and to eight different countries. If you have the opportunity, take it. You will never regret exploring.

8. Ice cream really does make it better

Bombed your English exam? Cookie dough ice cream. Broke up with your boyfriend? Half Baked from Ben and Jerry's sounds good. Just plain sad because life is sucking? Yeah, I'll take two scoops of chocolate peanut butter from Dairy Twist.

9. It's OK to be different

It's so much more fun to be anyways.

10. You're not fat

After gaining the freshman 15, you're going to look back and wish you looked like you used to. You're not fat, trust me on this.

11. Respect yourself

When it comes to boys, relationships, friendships or pretty much anything, never forget to respect yourself. Don't lower yourself or your standards for anyone.

12. Always say 'please' and 'thank you'

Manners and being polite gets you very far in this world

13. You're supposed to get hurt

Unfortunately, getting heartbroken is totally normal in your younger years. Time will heal, don't worry. You'll look back years later on your first love and realize you dodged a bullet.

14. Popularity means nothing

It doesn't matter how many friends you have, it matter how genuine and great your friends are. Quantity over quality.

15. Find something you're passionate about

Whether it's a charity or a sport or a hobby, find something you like and love the hell out of it.

16. You're not too old to snuggle with your mom

One of these days you'll be laying in a creaky dorm bed wishing you were on your couch next to your mom.

17. You're also not too old to be a daddy's girl

Go sit and talk to your dad. Listen to his advice. Soak it up. Hug him and don't forget how good it feels. One day you'll sit in your car crying on the phone to him because you wish he was there in your new town.

18. Your siblings are your best friends

I'm not saying stop fighting with them all together, but ease up on them. It can actually be fun when you stop fighting.

19. It's OK to be a little lost

Seriously. You don't have to have everything together all the time. You're not an adult, so don't try to be. Enjoy being young and carefree, save the serious stuff for the 30-year-olds.