17 Signs You Grew Up In The Tri-State Area | The Odyssey Online

17 Signs You Grew Up In The Tri-State Area

Tri-Staters are the luckiest of them all.

5889
Hooked On Dining

The Tri-State Area is well-known everywhere you go. People know it as the state close to New York City, the ones who are lucky enough to basically live in New York City, but with a slightly slower lifestyle. The areas of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut located in the Tri-State Area are some of the luckiest, because not only are they super close to NYC, but they also grew up with beaches and the best food around. If people aren't jealous of those who grew up in the Tri-State Area, they clearly don't understand all that it has to offer. The Tri-State Area is a dreamland that is almost impossible to believe truly exists. If you grew up there, you are a lucky one and should never forget that.

1. You know the best bagels are found in New York City

Everyone knows what bagels are, but they have not tried a real deal bagel until you have set foot into one of the amazing (usually) family owned bagel shops in NYC.

2. You feel bad for people who grew up without non-chain pizzerias

No one understands the joy of walking into your town's pizza place, ordering a slice at the counter and enjoying your pizza fresh out of the oven.

3. You spent many summer days on Long Island or New Jersey beaches

Because honestly, they are the best beaches around.

4. Trains were a normal form of transportation for you growing up

And when people think it's crazy that you spent so much time on them, you think they are the crazy ones.

5. New York City was your "backyard"

You may not have gone into the city that much growing up, but whenever you were bored, it was nice to have the option.

6. You will forever have awful flashbacks when someone brings up driving into New York City.

Because the inevitable traffic was so miserable.

7. You had to pick - Mets or Yankees; Islanders or Rangers; Jets or Giants

If someone asked you what team was your favorite and you didn't have a response, things could get a little ugly.

8. The thought of a land locked state kind of scares you

You grew up either surrounded (or close to) the ocean, bay, sound, etc. and the thought of a state that has none of the above is really kind of frightening.

9. People associate you with expensive living... And it gets annoying fast

Just because you grew up in the Tri-State Area doesn't mean you are rich.

10. You're use to getting a mani/pedi for $20

And once you leave the Tri-State Area, mani/pedis can be up to $50, which really just seems sacrilegious.

11. New York Tri-Staters always get mad about New Jersey and Connecticut people saying NYC is their home

But in reality, they could live closer to NYC than you.

12. People outside of the Tri-State Area will probably think you have an attitude

But you really are just super honest and straight-forward.

13. You probably take the fact that you live so close to the city that never sleeps for granted

Basically, you went into NYC once a month (maybe) growing up even though you were only 30 minutes away.

14. You're either Jewish or have at least 10 Jewish friends

And you probably attended your fair share of Bar/Bat Mitzvahs during seventh and eighth grade.

15. You're sick of being asked by out-of-staters if you went to NYC every weekend

Like come on — there is more to do her than take a train into NYC every single weekend.

16. You have taken the drunk train home

Or you missed the train and had to sleep on the floor of Penn Station or Grand Central.

17. Everyone has that one quintessential Italian friend

The one with the big Italian family, Sunday family dinners, loud parties and delicious food... always.