17 Of The Most Important Lessons I Learned Before Turning 17

Goodbye 16, Hello 17

44
Buket Urgen

I am now 17. Every day I still wake up a little different than I did the day before. This past year especially has been one filled with growth. Even though I have an extremely long way to go before I experience some of the biggest milestones of my life, before I leave 16 behind, I want to take a moment to appreciate what I've learned in the past few years.

1. Friendships need a lot of effort to work.

It sounds easy enough, yet people, including myself, seem to have this assumption that some friendships just aren't meant to be if they don't immediately work out. After going to four different schools in the last five years, I've learned, if you want something to move forward you've got to put a lot of work into it; and this includes friendships.

2. People are people.

Sometimes we just put too much pressure on others. Whether it's our parents, or our friends, or the people we're dating, we can't expect them to be perfect. People will change their minds for seemingly no reason. People can't always be there for you, and you can't always take that personally. Everyone comes up short from time to time, and it's only because they're people too. Once I realized this, it was a lot easier to let go of any anger I had and to forgive others.

3. Loving yourself takes a lot of effort and time, and no one ever tells you that.

Loving myself doesn't always come that easy. It's an uphill battle without a very clear ending in sight. It's lots of back and forth, and sometimes coming to terms with something will take a really long time. And I think this is the way it's supposed to be, but people don't ever tell you that.

4. Most people cheat in school.

I'm a junior in high school, and I can promise you, most of us have, at some point or another cheated in school. Sometimes there's just too much on your plate, and you forgot you had you video notes due the next day. It happens.

5. Planners save lives.

You have to just trust me on this one.

6. Buying a sugar scrub is the best self-care investment you can make.

7. A drastic haircut is one of the best ways to "glo-up."

Back in September, I got my hair cut shorter than its ever been. Since day one of my haircut, my life has inexplicably kept improving. It is truly the gift that keeps giving.

8. Passive aggressiveness won't solve anything. It'll probably make things worse.

There comes a point when you have to just act your age, and tell people how you feel. Indirect comments won't solve anything. This year, I've chosen to confront people, more than I've chosen to avoid them without stating why. It has honestly made my life so much easier.

9. Pettiness won't solve anything either.

See above.

10. The best way to make anyone feel better is to validate their feelings.

When people come to me with a problem, most of the time they just want to hear that what they're feeling is valid. People don't always expect you to solve their problems. Validation and legitimization of one's feelings are the best way to help anyone feel better.

11. Best friends are your greatest blessing.

I'm blessed to call some of the greatest, funniest, sweetest, smartest, and kindest people on this planet my best friends. I wouldn't trade these people for anything in the world. I can't imagine getting through my life, much less a single day, without them.

12. Adventure won't come to anyone sitting within four walls in their bedroom.

If you want something, you have to act like it. Opportunities aren't waiting around to fling themselves at you. This year I learned to go after opportunities or make my own. This doesn't always come that easy; it takes a lot of bravery for me to myself out there, but it has always been worth it in the end.

13. Don't dwell too much on social media.

Seriously, it never ends well. Not to mention everyone tends to over-glorify their lives on social media. It'll make you obsessive, just don't even bother.

14. Don't let the gap between where you are and where you want to be scare you.

When you first start anything, whether its drawing, playing an instrument, or recovery, its going to take a long time for your progress to match up to your expectations. When it comes to a new hobby, it will take a long time before your taste in your work will match up to your skill. From now on I won't let that hinder my growth.

15. Don't get involved in gossip or drama that isn't your business.

My friends often come to me and ask whether or not I have heard about the most recent, seemingly endless, high school drama. Most likely, I haven't. I have very little concern for anything that doesn't have to do with me. So this year, whenever anyone offers me gossip, I refuse to know because I don't want to be involved in a conversation about other people. I don't see in point.

16. Negative feelings aren't bad for you.

There are going to be so many moments in one year where you just don't feel right. You will get hurt and cry. You will be frustrated and furious. And nothing's wrong with that. You should never have to feel ashamed of how you feel.

17. Its never too late to forgive.

Forgiveness is a wonderful thing. I agree that it can't always be done, but whenever possible forgive yourself, and forgive others (whether they know it or not). To let go of animosity and bitterness is difficult. It requires bravery, but once you get there, it is an enormous relief.

Sixteen was a year filled to the brim with many ups and downs for me, and I wouldn't change it for the world.