16 Things I Wish I'd Known at 16

16 Things I Wish I'd Known at 16

If I'd known then what I know now

51
16 Things I Wish I'd Known at 16
favim.com

In life, we are constantly learning; knowing a little more today than we did yesterday, and will know more tomorrow than we did today. I think most would be quick to admit that some parts of their lives would have gone over a lot smoother had they known more than they did in that moment. But life is about growth and learning from our experiences. At 19 years old, I know more than I did at 16, and at 22 I'm sure I will be able to write about things I wish I'd known at 19. So enjoy being in the moment, bask in your naivety and youth while you can and never stop learning about life, love and yourself.

1. Listen to your parents

I've listed this as the first point because I truly feel it is the most important. As difficult as it may be to imagine, at one point in time your parents were 16. Everything you're feeling, they have felt, and everything you are learning, they've already learned. You're going to get frustrated with them, and probably throw them that typical line of, "You just don't understand." But they do. So listen to them, remember that they have your safety and best interests at heart, and that they love you more than you're able to comprehend.

2. The world does not revolve around you

I'm sure this one is going to be especially difficult to grasp, because at your age you undoubtedly think that everything is about you. Granted, it's not entirely your fault, seeing as humans are naturally enabled with a sense of selfishness. Try your best to overcome this, and while your happiness is important, don't expect it to come at the expense of going against God or other people.

3. Driving is a privilege

I know you think the day you turn 16, you deserve to be handed a key and let loose on your path towards new found freedom. You don't, and you should be thankful if you are. Side note: always wear your seatbelt and don't play your radio so loud you bust a speaker.

4. Enjoy high school

It's probably confusing to see the word enjoy and school together, but please take my word for it on this one. This is not to say that college isn't a new and exciting experience, but don't miss what's happening now while looking forward to the next chapter.

5. Friends are going to hurt you

Whether or not it's intentional, people are going to let you down. Friends you thought you could trust are going to show you that you can't, and some of the ones you thought were always going to be there are going to walk away. So let them. You're going to let down a few people too, so remember how it felt.

6. Don't pretend to be something you're not

At this point in your life, you're basically play-doh; moldable, and able to take on many different forms. Don't allow yourself to turn into someone that you don't even recognize. You don't have to worry about impressing the people who really matter.

7. That boy probably doesn't love you

It almost seems pointless to list this one, seeing as you're going to ignore it entirely, but maybe that's okay. This is your first taste of "love", and it is going to teach you so many things about yourself and others. Just enjoy it, and don't take it too seriously (you're not going to marry him).

8. It's okay to not know yourself

It's okay to not have yourself entirely figured out. You're going through constant changes, and learning more about yourself every day. It's okay to not know exactly who you are.

9. It's okay to be different

I realize being labeled with the word "weird" seems equivalent to the plague, but don't let it stop you from being yourself. Don't be afraid to be a barbecue chip in a world full of sour cream and onion.

10. People are mean

This is one that you never really stop learning. There isn't really anything you can do about it, so just don't be a mean person yourself.

11. Family is everything

I honestly cannot stress this one to you enough. There are going to be times when they drive you crazy, and you are going to have moments where you forget how blessed you really are. No one is going to care for you or have your back quite like them. Hold them close and tell them how much they mean to you.

12. You are important

Some days you will feel inferior. You will feel like your voice isn't being heard and that your opinions don't matter. But you will be amazed at the lives you can change just by believing you can. You can make a difference right now, and you matter.

13. You're not bulletproof

At this age, you feel untouchable. You recognize the fact that things do happen to young people, but you never think it's going to be you. This is a dangerous mindset to have, and one that is difficult to get away from. Lord willing, you do have a long life ahead of you, but keep in mind you're not promised tomorrow.

14. You don't know everything

This one doesn't even really need an explanation. Just trust me, you have life far less figured out than you think you do.

15. Better things are ahead

I know that sometimes it can be scary. People keep telling you "these are the best days of your life" and you're worried you're not making the most of them. While these next few years are going to be exciting and full of memories you'll never forget, there are plenty more ahead. Life after high school will be different, but different does not mean bad.

16. It's going to be okay

Take a deep breath, hold your head high, and put a smile on your face. Enjoy these moments and everything you're experiencing. One day you will look back at this time in your life, so make sure you can do so fondly. You've got so much potential and you're going to do great things in this life. Be sure and remember who you are and whose you are, and you will go far.