16 Things To Do To Complete Your Summer | The Odyssey Online

16 Things To Do To Complete Your Summer

Make Sure Your 2017 Summer Is The Best Yet!

9
16 Things To Do To Complete Your Summer
Destiny Mason

1. Fishing

Spend time sitting on a bank with a fishing pole, this helps increase patience and relaxation. So relax and enjoy your surroundings. When a fish bites you get an instant feeling of accomplishment. You don't have to hurt the fish, do it for fun and just throw them back in the water.

2. Hiking

Even if it's just a quiet walk way in a national park, or Ijams Nature Center, get out and go for a walk through the woods. Take your shoes off and put them in the creek, listen to the birds chirping and the river roar. This will get you more in touch with nature and help you relieve stress and anxiety. It's important to get away sometimes and get your head right.

3. Camping

Camping isn't for everyone. But it's something you can at least try once, and if you hate it, then you know. A few main essentials such as a tent, flashlight, and snacks and you're set for an exciting evening of camping. Build a fire and sit with friends, enjoy stories and roast marshmallows. You'll make memories that'll last a lifetime. Camping is also a great way to get away and connect with mother nature. Enjoy a peaceful evening under the stars.

4. Kayaking/Paddle Boarding

There are many places that will rent out Kayaks and paddle boards, and believe it or not, they're NOT always ridiculously priced. Kayaking and paddle boarding is a great source of exercise while at the same time getting a summer tan and splashing around in the water. It is so much fun and exhilarating! It can even be relaxing once you get the hang of it. And for the ones who like to fish, Kayak Fishing is a thing, and it's a blast. Try it out!

5. Drive-In Movie theater

There isn't enough of these still left around here but if you get the opportunity to go, you totally should! Get lots of snacks and friends and go enjoy a movie under the stars! It's an experience for sure! There is just something about being able to watch a movie on the big screen outside that is super exciting!

6. Swimming in the river

This is my favorite thing to do on a hot summer day! The rush of the cold water over your body will take your breath away, and it's the most refreshing experience. Feels like you're washing your sins away. This is also a great way to get more in tune with nature and clear your head.

7. Sunbathing

Do this responsibly though, the sun can do great damage to the skin if you are not careful. Use lots of sunscreen and drink water to keep from dehydration. I love to lay out and soak up the sun, it is so relaxing and i love the way my skin looks when it's tan. This also gives you time for a time out, time for breath and reflect on things you have on your mind.

8. Tubing in the river

One of my favorite activities during the summer time! It's a blast, for sure! Grab a float and head to the river! Hop in and enjoy the ride! It can be very dangerous depending on water conditions but it's very exciting and a great way to get your adrenaline going.

9. Catch Lightning Bugs

I grew up participating in this activity! Some know them as fireflies, but here in the south we call them "Lightnin' bugs". You go out after dark and follow the faint glow of the insect. Take a jar if you want and collect them as you go, then use that as your lantern when walking back home. This is a great way to feel like a kid again and get outside into nature. It's simple and fun!

10. Read a book in a hammock

This is a great way to relax and enjoy nature. Reading a book is optional, you can choose to do a crossword, draw a picture or heck, take a nap! Just take the time to relax and swing in the trees. It'll help you get your mind on track and give you a sense of your surroundings.

11. Fly a kite

This is always great exercise! Depending on the weather it could be difficult, but it feels quite rewarding when you're able to keep the kite in the air. You're also enjoying the warm weather at the same time.

12. Paint outside

You don't have to have a $100 easel or a huge canvas, and you don't have to be an artist. Go into it with a positive mindset and just focus on what you want to express onto that paper or canvas. Let the brush do the work and just forget about everything you're currently dealing with. Let all your worries flow out in the painting. This is rewarding and relaxing.

13. Picnic in a field

This could be a good date for you and your love, or even just best friend. It's always fun to do things you rarely get to enjoy. Grab a blanket, snacks and head to a field or the park, Enjoy the peacefulness of nature and your snacks that you brought along. Bathe in the sun and make conversation, but remember. DO NOT FEED THE BEARS!

14. Lay under the stars

This is probably my all time favorite thing to do! Shooting stars are very special to me, so special that I actually have a tiny one tattooed on my body. I have seen many shooting stars in my 23 years here on Earth and every one of them is just as exciting as the others. This exercises patience and is a beautiful moment to experience.

15. Watch the sunrise and sunset

If you're not a morning person than it may be harder for you to enjoy the sunrise bright and early in the morning, but if you try it at least one time I promise you will not regret it! The sunset is equally as beautiful as the sunrise, but to see both in one day is an amazing thing. Take in the view, snap a photo and enjoy that moment as it is.

16. Take a trip to the beach

This can be with friends, or family. Regardless of who you're traveling with make sure you have the most fun you can while you're there. Don't sleep all day, be active, enjoy the sun and the water! Go out and meet new people or enjoy the entertainment and restaurants. Make memories that will stick with you for a lifetime. This is an exciting way to get away and take a break.