15 Ways To Help Yourself Get Through Anxiety And Depression | The Odyssey Online

15 Ways To Help Yourself Get Through Anxiety And Depression

Journaling is Not the Only Option

25
Dorien Schröder

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, roughly 40 million United States residents over the age of 18 suffer from anxiety disorders in a given year. 15.7 million people of the same demographics suffer from major depression disorder. These two mental health afflictions wreak havoc on families day in and day out by taking their sufferers captive within their own minds. Those of us who battle these disorders, every day holds the potential to be disastrous at just the drop of a hat. Luckily, the mental health community is a strong one, and there are always new testimonies being given about which coping methods work and which ones don't. Sometimes the tools we develop to get through the day stop working, and we have to scramble to figure out something new. On those days, it's important to remember that there are always people out there who would love to share their successful tips to help you get through your day. Let's take a look at fifteen coping skills that I find to be particularly helpful:

Journaling

If you're reading this, you should've expected this one. Journaling is one of the most commonly-prescribed coping skills, no matter what your problems are. While the stereotypical "Dear Diary" kind of journaling is not necessarily what we're going for here, it can be extremely helpful to take a pencil to a notepad and just write down what you're feeling. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you, and it certainly doesn't have to be a daily thing. What if this approach just doesn't cut the mustard for you? Well, the next six tips are variations of journaling. Anything you do to express your feelings that brings emotional relief can be considered a form of journaling.

1. Private Blogging and Microblogging

In this day and age, it is so incredibly easy to get your hands on social media outlets. Whether it's Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter or BlogSpot, you can make a private account (even if you already have a public one) and use this handy tool to get your worries out of your head. For example, you can create a Twitter account that does not contain your actual name or any telling information about you, set it to private, and let out what is haunting you and feel confident that you will be notified if anyone comes close to your content. Then, when you feel better, you just click away from that profile until you need it again.

2. Write Songs

Perhaps journaling doesn't work for you, but have you tried writing a song? Writing lyrics is not just a more artsy (or hipster) way of journaling, but it can also help us to understand ourselves a little bit better. With all the music that we consume on a daily basis comes connections. These connections to the sound of a song, to the topic, or to the person performing it. Writing song lyrics can help us to make connections between what our disorders want us to believe and what is happening in the real world.

3. Make Playlists

Speaking of connections made through music, have you ever tried compiling a playlist of songs that just seem to get you? The music we listen to often says a lot about ourselves, since we typically listen to songs we can relate to. Going through your personal library and grouping together music that helps you through certain situations can in itself be a very relaxing thing to do.

4. Journal Texting

A friend of mine recently introduced me to this concept, even though it was something I already did (just without a term for it). This is when you are text messaging a trusted friend and you tell them exactly what is on your mind, even if the messages don't necessarily make sense to anyone but yourself. These messages are often more introspective than they are conversational. That is, there are a lot of answering your own questions, answering questions that were never asked, explaining yourself, etc.. The friend that you choose to trust with this cathartic release will most likely understand that you're not necessarily wanting to discuss these things; you just want someone to listen... er, read.

5. Creating Art

Whether you think you're artistic or not, creativity can be incredibly helpful in battling mental health disorders because it is both a way to express oneself and a way to distract oneself. Recently, an increase in popularity of adult coloring books has swept the nation. Personally, I find that a "Jumbo Jokes Coloring Book" can be just as calming as those pages of beautiful mandalas are. Other creative mediums can be sketching, writing fiction, playing instruments, composing music, sculpting, or painting. When you're finished, this coping skill can double as an achievement to show off to your loved ones if you want, hang that picture on the fridge.

6. Make Lists

Okay, this certainly does not sound as fun as coloring books, but it can be a real lifesaver. I am a serial stationery collector. I have boxes of journals, spiral notebooks and notepads that I use for various list-making emergencies. I also have a giant daily planner that I use to plan out my days to the hour. Why does this help? By making lists of what you need to do or what you're feeling, you are taking a little bit of control over what's stressing you out or making you feel depressed. If you are having nasty thoughts about yourself, write them down in list form and then stow the list away for a while. In a few hours when you feel a little stronger, you can pull out that list and reassure yourself that all those nasty feelings are the disorder's feelings, not your own. If you're anxious, make a list of what's worrying you and then step away from it for a while knowing that you've taken a step toward controlling those worries.

Physical Activity

Alongside journaling, physical activity is one of the most surefire ways to help yourself feel better. This doesn't just mean going to the gym and working out, though; the point of physical activity as a coping skill for anxiety and depression is to change your heart rate for a while and to release mood-boosting endorphins.

8. Practicing a Sport

While slightly cliché, the benefits of practicing a sport in relation to mental health are not something to be shrugged at. If you have trouble finding the will to get out of bed, making the effort to go outside and shoot some hoops seems ridiculous, right? Well, if you can muster the energy, it will not be wasted. It's common knowledge that exercise is good for your body, but have you ever thought about how that, in turn, makes it good for your mind?

9. Jogging, Walking and Hiking

Specifically, going through pleasant scenery. If you live in the country like me, it might suit you to strap on some hiking boots and hit the trails. For city-slickers, you may find it enjoyable to take a walk through a manicured park or down the street in a historic part of town. The idea here is to pair physical activity with sights that you can find beauty in. Whether you're gazing up at the canopy of a pine forest or down at a dandy-lion pushing through the sidewalk cracks, look for things that will make you smile.

10. Yoga

Yoga is a practice whose health benefits are unendingly praised. When practicing yoga, you spend your time controlling your breathing and stretching your body to do things you normally wouldn't. You don't have to master it to reap the benefits, either! The concentration required to pull off even some of the most basic yoga poses will help you to take your mind off your troubles. If you have the opportunity, check into taking a yoga class, as the atmosphere of a yoga studio is a very calming one.

11. Dancing

Remember those playlists I mentioned earlier? You may want to consider making a killer dance playlist full of songs that make you want to move. You can blast it in your room and absolutely jam out, or you can pop in your earbuds and just bop along while you complete other daily tasks. Dancing is probably the most fun form of cardio I can think of, and there is no right or wrong way to do it. If you're wanting to try something a little bit more structured that simply dancing in your room, check out local dance studios for classes. Hip-hop, jazz, and ballet are some great options if you don't want to venture into the partner-dance world, but swing dancing, salsa, and ballroom dancing can all be incredibly fun, too.

12. Deliberate Breathing

What happens if you have a panic attack in the middle of a public place? You can calm yourself down without making a scene. To slow a racing heart, inhale ten slow, deliberate breaths, and each time you exhale let a little bit of tension leave your body with the air.

Distracting Yourself

While mental health issues are very serious and should not be swept under the rug, sometimes you just really need to distract yourself from them. This time away from your troubles can feel like a mini-vacation after which you feel more able to deal with what you need to deal with. If done right, it can also serve a double purpose by helping you reach an emotional release.

13. Movies

Movies are a great way to distract yourself from the zipping, hurtful thoughts in your head. A comedy can take your mind off of the dread of your days, an action movie can make you feel like you're on top of the world, or a mystery can get you to focus on something other than your own life problems. If you pick a movie that you know you'll be able to relate to but that is just different enough to make it bearable, you may find yourself feeling much better at the end. For example, a friend of mine used to pick movies about bullying when she was feeling especially alone in her abusive relationship. She was able to watch the characters endure situations that were different from her own but that evoked similar emotions as what she was going through. She said that this made her feel better because she felt like she was crying over somebody else's problems instead of her own for once.

14. Rearrange Your Surroundings

Making a small change in your surroundings can really help to reset your mind. If your room is messy or cluttered, spend some time reorganizing it. Change up which drawers you store your items in, or even move furniture around if you have the space. Not only will you focus on making these changes, when you're done you will likely feel a sharp sense of accomplishment, which is sure to boost your mood.

15. Befriend an Animal

If you already have pets, you know that critters can be uplifting. A kiss from a friendly dog, snuggles from a fat cat, or the trust a horse places in you when it lets you climb onto its back can surely boost one's mood. If none of these scenarios seem likely for you, you could try finding a park bench and tossing seeds for birds to eat. While they may not show their appreciation quite like a dog or a cat, you may find solace in watching them peck at the food and knowing that you made their days a little bit better.

At the end of the day, whatever you have to do to keep yourself going is as good a coping skill as any. If you find yourself still struggling, please know that there are people who are ready and willing to talk to you about what's going on in your life. Find a friend, a family member, a teacher, or a counselor, and talk to them about what you're feeling and what you've tried to do to stop it. This battle is a tough one, but it is forever worth fighting.