15 Tony Award Winning Musicals You NEED To See | The Odyssey Online

15 Tony Award Winning Musicals You NEED To See

Seriously, these are a must see.

52

Either you love musicals, or you hate them, and there is no in between. I am clearly one of those people who LOVES musicals. I believe they are the best thing that this earth has ever seen, and modern drama will never get any better. If you're someone who hates musicals, these 15 musicals WILL change your mind. Or if you're like me, chances are you've already seen these musicals and are just as obsessed with them as I am.

Keep in mind; these musicals are listed from newest win to oldest win.

Hamilton

As President Obama said himself "A civics lesson you cannot get enough of." A story about America's founding father Alexander Hamilton (you know, the guy on the ten dollar bill), this rap musical will change your life. The music is insanely catchy, and you'll find yourself bursting into song anytime you hear a phrase that resembles one of the lyrics from the songs. My favorites include "Satisfied," "Wait For It," and "Take A Break," but more popular songs include "Alexander Hamilton," "My Shot," "You'll Be Back," and "The Schuyler Sisters." It was nominated for a record-breaking 16 Tony Awards, and won Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score, Best Actor in a Musical, Best Featured Actor in a Musical, Best Featured Actress in a Musical, Best Costume Design of a Musical, Best Lighting Design of a Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Choreography, and Best Orchestration in 2016. The music from this show will keep you humming (or rapping) to yourself all day.

The Color Purple

A powerfully dark musical with themes like racism and sexism, the music from this show will blow you away. Produced by Oprah, you know this musical will be quite the show that brings you tears and can open your eyes to what it can be like as a black woman living in America. Winning Best Revival of a Musical and Best Actress in a Musical in 2016, this musical is a must-see for lovers everywhere.

Hedwig and The Angry Inch

It's flashy, it's trashy, and it has a GREAT message about transgender rights. I mean, is it a little controversial to have a man play a transgender woman? Yeah, a bit. But hey, the music is great and if you look up "Sugar Daddy" sung by Neil Patrick Harris I promise you won't be disappointed. Winning Best Revival of a Musical, Best Leading Actor in a Musical, Best Featured Actress in a Musical, and Best Lighting Design of a Musical in 2014, I can guarantee you that this Heavy Rock Musical won't be let down.

Kinky Boots

Stuffy British guy who makes classy shoes saves his business by making shoes for DRAG QUEENS??? SIGN. ME. UP. It's queer, it's here, and you WILL ALWAYS have a good time listening to this music! With songs like "Everybody Say Yeah," this Rock Musical will rock your shoes off and replace them for FABULOUS new red sparkly thigh high 5 inch heeled boots. Winning Best Musical, Best Original Score, Best Actor in a Musical, Best Sound Design of a Musical, Best Choreography, and Best Orchestrations in 2013, this is one that will go down in gay history.

Pippin

This Broadway revival is one that is arguably better than the original. A young man wishes for more in his life, so he joins a circus. Filled with tons of plot twists, and set up so that all the characters in the play know that they're in a play (kinda weird at first but still funny), and if you're obsessed with dancing and acrobatic tricks like I am, you'll enjoy everything this play has to show. Constantly wowing the audience with stunts (they're a reenactment of a way using acrobatic tricks and 1920's dance), great music (with songs like "Morning Glow" and "Corner of the Sky"), and steamy hot scenes (there's a literal orgy onstage that's played through acrobatic tricks). Winning Best Revival of a Musical, Best Actress in a Musical, Best Featured Actress in a Musical, and Best Direction of a Musical in 2013, this hit revival will blow your acrobatic socks off.

The Book of Mormon

Literally, a comedy musical that makes so much of Mormons. Not a musical at all for the easily offended, and you should know going into the musical that it will make fun of both religion, and of race. The story features two Mormons, one the "top of his class" and the other one an outcast, who get sent to Uganda for their Mission. Needless to say, it all goes downhill in the absolute best way from there. Starting with a good "Hello", it continues with songs of vulgar humor like "Hasa Diga Eebowai" (which in the musical, translates to "F*ck You God") and "Turn It Off", this musical will have you laughing so hard you'll be wiping the tears from your eyes the whole time. Winning Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score, Best Featured Actress in a Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Orchestrations, Best Scenic Design, Best Lighting Design, and Best Sound Design in 2011, this musical is basically South Park humor put on stage.

Next To Normal

Fairly dark for a musical, and focusing heavily on mental illnesses, this emotionally heart-wrenching musical about a mother and her family, and how they try to stay together through all of their hardships, problems, and, to be honest, the mother's struggle with manic depression, will keep you both on the edge of your seat and sobbing at the same time. Look up "You Don't Know" and tell me that you don't feel anything while listening to this song. Yet another rock musical, and winning Best Original Score, Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical, and Best Orchestrations in 2009, and also being the first musical to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama since Rent in 1996, this musical made this list for obvious reasons.

Spring Awakening

Another dark rock musical, this show is based off a play that was written in 1891 (seriously!!! It was so ahead of it's time!!!). It focuses on two teenagers and their friends who go through their "spring awakening" (puberty, or sexual awakening). It includes themes like sex, ignorance, mental illness, suicide, homosexuality, prostitution, child molestation, and abortion, just to name a few. Seriously. With huge names like Lea Michele (the girl from Glee, and currently Scream Queens) and Jonathan Groff, and featuring songs that will make you cry your heart out like "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind" and "Left Behind", to rock out songs like "The B*tch Of Living" and "Totally F*cked". Winning Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score, Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Choreography, Best Orchestrations, and Best Lighting Design in 2007, this musical is one that everyone should see, and will find some way to be able to relate to.

Avenue Q

As RuPaul often says, "Everybody Loves Puppets!" A Musical that's basically Sesame Street made for adults. With songs like "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist," and "The Internet is For Porn," you'll be ROTFLMFAO at this musical the whole time you watch it. There is literally never a dull moment. Winning Best Musical, Best Original Score, and Best Book of a Musical in 2004, just... see this show. Or at least listen to the music.

Wicked

If you love the Wizard of Oz, or just like literally life in general, you'll love this musical. The musical that gave Idina Menzel the name she has today (you know, the one who voices Elsa in Frozen), I believe it to be one of the best musicals of all time, personally. Focusing on the Wicked Witch of the West (Elphaba), and her life before she became "Wicked," this musical will leave you STUNNED by it's absolutely amazing songs and the vocal talent that is demanded from it's actors. Themes like good vs. evil, right and wrong, standing up for your beliefs, and prejudice, this musical is complete within itself. Stunning songs include "Popular," "For Good," and of course, the iconic "Defying Gravity." Winning Best Actress in a Musical, Best Costume Design, and Best Scenic design in 2004, this is one that you need to see as soon as possible.

The Producers

If you love Mel Brooks and offensive humor, you won't be let down! A Broadway producer tries to embezzle money by producing a Broadway Flop (Springtime For Hitler). This musical is full of laughs and golden age sound with modernly raunchy lyrics. Notable songs include "Keep It Gay" and "Springtime For Hitler," which if I do say so myself, are equally terrible and AMAZING. Winning Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score, Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical, Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical, Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Choreography, Best Orchestrations, Best Scenic Design, Best Costume Design, and Best Lighting Design in 2001, (yeah, it broke records) this musical is by far one of the best of THE BEST. Listen to the music, or just watch the movie.

The Lion King

Ok, who doesn't love the Disney movie??? This musical based off the movie, with more songs, amazing makeup, and puppets to portray all the African animals. You'll see stilts, stunning masks, and costumes like you won't believe, and who doesn't love iconic songs like "The Circle of Life" and "He Lives in You"??? Plus is debuted in Minneapolis!!! What's a better way to support local theater than to see a show that had it's iconic start in one of our great cities? Winning Best Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Choreography, Best Scenic Design for a Musical, Best Costume Design for a Musical, and Best Lighting Design of a Musical in 1998, this Disney show turned Broadway is one that everyone needs to see.

Into The Woods

Ok so you've probably seen the movie, but in case you haven't, imagine fairytale characters clash together into one big mess, all controlled by one witch (played by the ORIGINAL Queen, Bernadette Peters). One of Sondheim's best works, this operetta takes the characters you thought you knew and offers a surprise twist ending that you never expected. With heart-wrenching songs like "No One Is Alone" and funnier pieces like "Agony," this won Best Original Score, Best Book of a Musical, and Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical in 1988, and you need to see the original stage production of the movie.

Evita

Debatably one of Andrew Lloyd Weber's best works, this show helped kick start the popularity of the rock musical. Following the story of Eva Peron, a poor girl in Argentina, who climbs her way up to First Lady of Argentina. The Revival features Ricky Martin, and the 1996 movie has Madonna in the lead role, but the original show is what made it it's best. Iconic songs with Argentinian groove like "Buenos Aires", classic rock songs like "Oh What A Circus", and the one and only "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". This musical won Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score, Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical, Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, and Best Lighting Design in 1980, and it's a show you can jam to all day long.

Sweeney Todd

Another one of Sondheim's works, this dark musical focuses on a barber and his revenge. With lots of blood and guts, and themes like choosing revenge over love, and what defines good or evil. Powerful melodies compel every song, whether you're listening to the beautiful ballads like "Not While I'm Around" or "Johanna", or you're listening to the eerie vengeful songs like "Epiphany", or you're listening to how all these beautiful songs mix together, like in the "Johannah quartet", it will keep you captivated. And it's not just the music, this show does not lack in character depth and development, and in fact, many argue that every character grows equally in this play, which is very rare for any sort of drama that you'll see. Winning Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score, Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical, Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical, Best Direction in a Musical, Best Scenic Design, and Best Costume design in 1979, this murder filled musical will keep you begging for more blood.

SO GO OUT AND WATCH SOME MUSICALS FAM!!! You won't regret it. And remember, just because a musical might not be listed on here, doesn't mean it's not amazing.