15 Things Only True Washington Nationals Fans Will Understand | The Odyssey Online

15 Things Only True Washington Nationals Fans Will Understand

Do you have Natitude?

982

Pitchers and catchers report in less than two weeks for spring training which means baseball season is just around the corner. We're so close yet so far from hotdogs, peanuts and cracker jacks which means its time to start the countdown till opening day and time to start preparing to root for the best team in baseball with some serious Natitude. Let's begin. If you're a real Nats fan, you will definitely understand these 15 things.

1. The President's race.

You live for the President's Race. This game can be ruthless: pushing, fighting, and other obstacles. If there's anything you've learned it's that George Washington is a savage and Teddy just can't catch a break. In fact, Teddy was so pathetic at one point that a campaign was started in his name: "Let Teddy Win!" Watching your presidents run around the field and cheering for your favorite is one of the best parts about going to Nats Park.

2. Washington Nationals are better than the Baltimore Orioles.

In the DMV you are forced to make a decision: Orioles or Nationals. The correct decision is the Nationals (duh), and if you're a Nats fan, you can't stand the Os. With two teams in the same area there is naturally a rivalry. Marylander Nats fans are constantly criticized for not routing for the M.D. team but they can't help that the Nationals are better. The "Battle of the Beltways" is the ultimate showdown where the Nats take on the O's and the losers never hear the end of it -- until next year, that is.

3. F.P. and Bob Carpenter. But mostly F.P.

When you can't make it to the park you can always count on these two to give you the play by play. Bob keeps it real while F.P. tries to makes jokes and does things like wearing hats and sunglasses on "Jayson Werth Gnome Day." These commentators are the best power couple in baseball. They love the Nats almost as much as you do and watching the game at home wouldn't be the same without them.

4. Don’t make fun of the curly W.

If you're a Nats fan then these Ws look nothingalike! You have probably been asked at least once why you're wearing the "Walgreens" logo and it's so. Annoying. Mets fans or people who simply have no knowledge of baseball might make fun of the W, but ultimately you have the last laugh when the Nats win and there's "Another curly W in the books!"

5. "That's a clown question, bro."

You remember that time the Nats crushed it (obviously) and a reporter asked Harper, who was underage, if he would celebrate the win by turning up with the team. He handled it with grace and his response became t-shirt worthy.

6. Chocolate syrup is victory.

There's nothing like a sweet, sticky layer of chocolate syrup to celebrate a win. You've watched Max Scherzer get his fair share after his no hitters, Bryce Haper after his home runs, and Ryan Zimmerman after his walk-offs. This is just another reason why you love the Nationals.

7. Curly W Pretzels.

There's only one place to get a curly W soft pretzel, and that's at Nats Park. Whether you like them with salt or covered in cinnamon and sugar, these pretzels are necessary for your Nat's Park experience. They're both delicious and Instagram worthy.

8. Bryce is the real MVP (literally).

Outfielder and power-hitter Bryce Harper is probably the most well-known Washington National currently. Awarded the 2015 MVP for the National League, more recent Nats fan have invested in the #34 jersey and non-Nats fans pretty much hate him. Some call him cocky but you know that he's just a player with a lot of heart and swagger. Don't hate him cause you ain't him.

9. Bobble head games are mandatory.

There is absolutely no excuse for not showing up on a bobble head day. Only a truly devoted Nats fan understands the struggle of showing up early for a game to claim their free bobble head. Standing in line with hundreds of other fans in the hot summer sun for half an hour is totally "Werth" it (see #13) and you've done it so many times you've built a collection.

10. Ian Desmond was on helmet patrol.

If former Nats shortstop Ian Desmond took off a teammates helmet, you know they did something right. Double? RBI? Homerun? Steal? Desi's got your helmet. We'll miss Desmond and this routine!

And on that note, let's all just take a moment to appreciate Desmond and his love for the Nats:

We love you, Des! OK, back to the list.

11. Game days mean a sea of red, navy, and white on the Metro.

If there's a home game you can count on a crowed metro. You've taken the green line on the D.C. Metro to Navy Yard countless times, and each time you've been squished between fans. The ride is pretty uncomfortable, but there's a certain amount of respect you have for these strangers because you know they've got their priorities right. Occasionally, you'll spot an outsider wearing the away team's jersey and you try to intimidate them with your stare.

12. “Take on me.”

You know all the words to "Take on Me" by A-Ha. The 7th Inning Stretch is your time to get up, dance, sing along, scream two, and hopefully make it on the big screen. "I'll be gone, in a day or two!"

13. It's “Werth it.”

True Nat's fans understand the importance of Jayson Werth's outstanding beard and long locks. His ridiculous amount of hair is intimidating and you probably wonder how his wife feels about his hygienic decisions but in the end it's Werth it. Best part? His walk up song: "Hungry like the Wolf."

14. This guy.

If you recognize this guy, then congrats, you've got Natitude. Terrance, a.k.a., "the spirit guy," or Nats Pack member got you and your section going when you were too busy eating a hot dog to cheer. He started cheers and chants and had mastered starting "the wave" around the stadium. He may be the one person with more enthusiasm for the Nats than you.

15. Ryan Zimmerman.

If there's one player you appreciate and love, it's Ryan Zimmerman. Zimm has been with the Nats since their inaugural season back in 2005 and has contributed tremendously to Washington's success. Both the fans and the players have mad respect for Ryan and the Nats wouldn't be the same without him.

If you understand this list then you are by far one of the most devoted and true Washington Nationals fans! You've been with the Nat's since the beginning and you have got "nothing but Natitude!" You'll be ready for baseball season.