15 Things Only Soccer Players Understand

Insight toward America's rising pastime.

121
Danny Yadgir

Soccer continues to gain more popularity within the United States. However, this European pastime remains one of the most confusing sports in the eyes of American spectators. Ever since grade school, I have lived and breathed soccer. It is my greatest passion and an outlet for channeling my endless energy. I am truly grateful for the numerous opportunities to remain connected and active on the pitch. Unfortunately, those who haven't played soccer fail to recognize the various moments that grab the hearts of those dedicated to the beautiful game. Therefore, here are fifteen things everyone should know about soccer players.

1. Playing "under the lights"

Each soccer match is an exhilarating experience, but playing at night, under the beaming stadium lights, generates additional excitement and energy altogether.

2. Post-tournament parties

Although the menu typically consists of pasta and additional carbohydrates, any meal with your teammates is acceptable after a hard-earned victory.

3. Soccer almost always takes precedent

Very few individuals understand that when soccer players have the urge to play, almost nothing gets in the way. Except maybe a call from Mom.

4. The World Cup

Every four years brings school and work to a halt. The only energy exerted is the constant screams and chants for your home country to make history. The World Cup is the most important month of any soccer fanatic.

5. FIFA

To most people, video games are simply a waste of time. But for retired soccer players, it is the closest way to remain connected to the game.

6. Every game is worth watching

No matter what channel or league of play, any soccer match is worth your time, especially when the big games aren't showing.

7. Goal celebrations energize the crowd

A goal is a goal, but some require the extra theatrics. When appropriate, the best way to express your emotions on the field is through signature celebrations.

8. The constant need to kick a ball

Time spent away from the pitch can be difficult to handle. Therefore, all soccer players need to either juggle a ball or carry something that keeps them connected.

9. Soccer slang

Whether you just talked with the skipper, scored past the D or won a clean sheet, knowing the various soccer vocabulary will determine the difference between listening to the game and truly understanding it.

10. Good commentators matter

Ranging from the MLS to the Champions League, the true spirit of the game cannot be experienced without that same energy voiced from the men up top.

11. Choose your wardrobe wisely

Soccer is a game of skill mixed with personal style. Make sure to select boots that match your style of play. Just remember that skill comes before style.

12. Trash talking is all in good fun

Tensions remain high during each minute of the match, which naturally causes players to become annoyed with each other. As a result, playful conversations allow the players to voice their emotions while keeping the game fluid.

13. Alex Morgan

One of the most beautiful and influential women to play the game.

14. The show must go on

Despite rain, sleet or snow, the fans expect the match to continue. Welcome to the game where boys become men.

15. Soccer players are athletes, not actors

One of the highest criticism against soccer is that too many players flop and act. Although some players participate in such theatrics, it's unfair to place this stereotype on soccer as a whole. Keep in mind that each player is among the most talented and fit athletes in the world. And that's something to appreciate.

I am more than grateful to have been introduced to soccer at such a young age. My European roots have enabled me to truly understand the beauty of this incredible game. Therefore, the next time you're flipping through channels, pay more attention to the unparalleled talent displayed on screen. Throughout my soccer career, I have experienced countless memories on and off the pitch. However, the friends I've established are among the most genuine group of gentlemen I know. And for that, I am forever grateful for the beautiful game.