15 Reasons Why You Should Date A Rugby Player

I love dating my rugger. You should date one, too.

8470
McKayla Courtney DeBord

I am currently in my junior year of college at Appalachian State University. I have been dating a player from the AHO Rugby team, which is a club sport at my school, for about 10 months now. The thing is though, it's much more than just a club sport. It's rugby. The team is celebrating it's 40th anniversary this year of being recognized as a club sport at the school. The rugby team is such a unique set of individuals, both the men's and women's teams. Each player has their own attitude and style, but they create an awesome team; an awesome family. I have gained a lot of friends through dating my rugger, so I decided to make a list of why others should date a rugby player, too.

1. They’re down for whatever.

Every rugby player I have met is super low key. They are down for anything, whether it’s an 80-minute game, watching movies all day, hanging with a few friends, or throwing down at the rugby house. They don’t take much to get ready, so they’re always ready for whatever life throws at them.

2. They’re used to pain (and take it).

Rugby players have the highest pain tolerance I’ve ever seen. They can get hit, break bones, lose teeth, get concussions and whatever other injuries and still try to keep playing in the game.

3. They don’t take themselves too seriously.

They’re not super serious. Rugby players know how to make every situation fun and don’t worry about the small stuff, but when it comes to rugby, you best believe that is serious.

4. They’re confident.

Rugby players have a certain air about them. They don’t take crap from anyone, on or off the field, and believe me, they think they're super cool because they play rugby...

5. They can hold their booze.

If there’s one thing a rugby player has to be able to do, its drink. I have never seen anyone consume a larger consumption of alcohol then I have from a rugby player. They can hold their own when it comes to beer.

6. They have their own social circle.

The rugby team is a family. They are each other’s best friends and teammates. If you date one you have to know that the team will become a part of your life, too! They will spend multiple occasions discussing game plays and strategies around you, prepare yourself. It's not as exciting as they think it is.

7. They’re not afraid to get dirty.

After a game, or after a party, you can expect a rugby player to be a little dirty, but don’t expect them to care. Half the time they won’t even notice the amount of mud, blood, or booze they have on them until the next morning.

8. They don’t body shame.

Rugby players come in all shapes and sizes, but you never hear them talking bad about one another’s physiques. They are all supportive of one another's progress and body types.

9. They like to sing.

Anytime I have been around a group of rugby players I have always heard them sing a song. Whether it’s “Days of the Week” or “Piano Man” or whatever song your significant other’s team sings, you can expect every player to be belting their heart out with their teammates.

10. They don’t freak out over something being “gay”.

Rugby players are so comfortable with their teammates. They don't have any boundaries. If they're with their teammates, you can expect to see them be super flirtatious and touchy with one another. It's kind of weird, but you have to remember your sharing your rugger with the whole team.

11. They’re always down to eat.

If you're ever hungry, expect your rugger to be hungry too. They are down to eat whenever you are, so don't ever feel like you can't eat as much, or as often, as you want. Because they will happily join you as you eat your 100th meal of the day.

12. They encourage you.

Rugby players constantly support their teammates on the field so it's only expected that this support follows them into their personal lives. If you mean anything to them, you can expect a rugby player to support you in all your successes and failures.

13. They know how to party.

Rugby players throw down. They can't drink before games, but they definitely will be right after they get off the field. Rugby parties consist of singing, dancing, drinking Olympics, and the occasional burning of the closest object to the fire.

14. They have stamina.

80 minutes. 15 positions. No protection. Wanna ruck? (Look it up)

15. They have quick wit.

If it's one thing I have discovered from dating a rugby player it's that they know how to clap back, and quickly. Rugby players spend their days roasting their teammates so they acquire a quick wit to respond towards anyone else.