14 Reasons Being An Adult Is The Worst | The Odyssey Online

14 Reasons Being An Adult Is The Worst

I didn't ask to be born just so I could pay bills.

439
14 Reasons Being An Adult Is The Worst
K.C. Green

As a child, you probably couldn't wait to be a grown-up so you can do all the wonderful grown-up things. Then you become a grown-up and realize that it kind of sucks. A lot. Every turn is full of fun new responsibilities and maybe a few stress tears. Some parts of adulthood are great, but the 14 things below are not those parts.

1. Paying bills

Everything about adulthood is expensive, especially the cost of having a roof over your head that hopefully has decent lighting. No matter how grateful you are that you have a place to live, it's always disappointing when your paycheck goes far far away.

2. When something breaks in your home

The horror of renting your own place does not end when you pay your bills. If something breaks, good luck. There's nothing quite like a broken water heater to really ruin your week.

3. Making doctor's appointments

I have to call the doctor by myself when I'm sick? No thank you, I'll just let this cold kill me.

4. Waiting to pick up prescriptions

So you were an adult and called the doctor? Good, now go by yourself to wait in line with elderly people who need their blood pressure medicine while you get an antibiotic that will also make you feel like garbage.

5. Waking up early

If you work or go to school, you know that nothing in this world is a more terrible sound than the sound of your alarm shocking you awake and in to a mini panic attack.

6. Caffeine dependency

I wake up early. I love my coffee. Coffee is my happiness in a cup. The headaches I get when I do not drink coffee, I do not love. Early mornings have ruined me and forced caffeine dependence.

7. Needing a nap

Again, I wake up early. No amount of coffee will prevent me from needing a nap by 5 p.m. Why did I ever turn down nap time as a child? Why did I decide to stay up until 4 a.m. watching "Bob's Burgers"? The world may never know.

8. Facebook friends

I do not have the kind of time necessary to go through my Facebook friends' list. Instead, I get to scroll through post after post of problematic older people in my hometown saying vaguely racist comments or my now sub par high school peers trying to sell me wraps or pills or essential oils.

9. Seeing people in public

What's even worse than seeing these people on your Facebook feed? Seeing them at the grocery store.

10. Not understanding anything young people say

Do you know how long it took me to understand what "it's lit" meant? I turned 22 and now I have no clue how to decode slang.

11. Learning to do taxes

Would you like to know what's worse than trying to understand younger people? Trying to understand older, actual adults. What is a 401K? How do I do taxes? What is a credit score?

12. Working out

There's nothing like being told how high the risk of heart disease is as you age to remind you that you alone are now responsible for choosing to take a walk instead of sit on your couch and watch Netflix. Or don't. Then your problem may be buying new clothes when yours don't fit.

13. The marriage question

"So when are you planning on getting married?" Why distant relatives and strange old people think it's a good question, I do not know. Having a significant other doesn't even seem to be a factor. "I think I'll get married next week, Betty. But I only have a cat and no boyfriend so we need to get that suit fitted."

14. Even better, the baby question

I would rather be asked 50 time a week when I'm getting married than be asked once when I'm going to have a kid. Again, significant other is optional. "Betty, I do not know if I even want to have a baby. I definitely don't have a due date picked out."

Being an adult is the worst. Do not recommend.