15 lessons I Took Away From My Quinceanera | The Odyssey Online

15 lessons I Took Away From My Quinceanera

Can you relate? If not what did you learn from your quince?

2239

Growing up in a hispanic household all small girls dream of their Quinceanera; their perfect dress, the perfect dance with all of her friends, the gifts, everything. There are many reasons why families have quinceaneras, traditionally a quinceanera is a symbolic party that celebrates the point in life where a girl becomes a woman. The whole party revolves around this idea; the father daughter dance, La ultima muneca, the last doll etc. Now four years later my younger sister will soon be having her quinceanera. I hope she learns from my lessons and you my reader can learn or relate to them too.

1. It isn't just a big party.

A quinceanera is not just a big party where you can invite all of your friends. Many times families make quinceaneras to continue their family tradition, or to break a family chains, For example I had my quinceanera because my mother did not have one, nor did my grandmother, therefore my party was the chain breaker, I was the first one to have a quince.

2. All of your family members are important.

As a fourteen year old you are aware that quinceaneras cost a great amount of money, not only because your parents keep reminding you “ This is expensive” but you have family members become padrinos/madrinas, or godfathers/godmothers. These family members sometimes choose what they want to be in charge of buying; the dress, the DJ, the tables, your pillow etc. The more padrinos you have, the cheaper the expenses are for your parents. Its a win-win scenario, the expenses are divided in cheaper sums, and you still get your party.

3. If you were a dress, the quincenera dress would be it.

The dress is one of the most important things every girl needs. Many girls spend months ahead looking from city to city for their dress. I know what you are thinking, How is this hard? its just a dress? WRONG. Every girl dreamed of their quince dress a certain way, the dress is a symbol of who they are, what they like, and everything in between.

4. The more traditional food you have, the better.

Remember in a Quinceanera you have family members from different states, countries, and ages. Sometimes the food you provide will make your more traditional, or older family members feel at home, or respected. You can never go wrong with the typical rice, beans, tortillas and traditional plate that brings warmth and flavor to everyones stomach.

5. Every decoration in your party is a gift.

Although your family spent months making the souvenirs, or ordering them ahead of time from a particular store, your flower vase, napkin holders, salt shakers will eventually be souvenirs, therefore you must make everything pretty, so it can look nice in your family members home, because believe me they WILL take everything.

6. The type of music you play matters.

The purpose of a party is for everyone to have fun, therefore I do not think you want your family members to see you twerk to a modern song, nor see your friends make a fool of themselves trying to dance a traditional song. Remember there will be a generation gap in your party, try to compromise music so everyone can dance.

7. The chambelan de honor can make or break your quince memories.

Choose your Chambelan wisely ladies, believe me nothing beats the feeling of looking back at your Quinceanera album and seeing that you are no longer dating the chambelan and you are like wow, this is awkward.

8. Everything that happens that day, is caught on video.

Yes, those horrible dance moves you did that day, your whole family will see when they play the video in your living room months after your party.

9. It's important to have security….or maybe two.

If you will have alcohol in your party, that means there will be drunk people, therefore having a security guard will prevent fights, keep people from coming in, or just make you feel safe.

10.The Vals must be perfect.

Every girl deep down wants to have their vals to be perfect, no one wants to be laughed at when their dress is accidentally pulled up to high, or fall from that gorgeous stunt you and your chambelanes were practicing. Every girl wants to look back at their video years into the future and say " it was perfect".

11.Be wise with who you choose for as your chambelanes and Damas.

Unless you are dancing your Vals with your parents, you can skip this lesson, but if you are up for the challenge of having 14 chambelanes and damas, be wise in who you choose. Remember you will be practicing your dance; at home, in your garage, in a park, and the girls and boys must be committed with practice, and dancing with another girl. The last thing you want is extra stress from your friends.

12. Remember your parents/guardians want to take part in the celebration.

Do not forget to take a moment and thank your parents, remember that they have been with you all this time. If you have adoptive parents, guardians, a single parent, or four parents, allow them to all take part in the celebration, have one put on your crown, and the other change your converse to heels. Regardless of what your family situation maybe, try not to let one of your parents/guardians feel left out, that will only cause guilt in the future and sadness.

13. Keep the color of your dress a secret.

It is your day, it only makes sense that you are the only one wearing the color of your theme. The last thing you want is to have people taking pictures with the wrong person because you all look alike.

14. Have your best friend as one of your damas.

My advice, if you have a best friend, have her as one of your damas. When you need to use the bathroom your best friend can help you with holding your big puffy wide dress. #bff goals.

15. No matter what people say, it is YOUR day.

There will be people who will be judging everything, your dress, your dance, your theme, everything. Remember your quince was not meant to please others, it was not " my guests quince party" no. it is YOUR quinceanera therefore no matter what happens, it is your day, dance the night away and remember there will always be someone saying yuck to your yum so do not let them ruin your quinceanera. You deserved the day.