15 Lessons I Learned From Christmas Movies

There's nothing like a Christmas movie to inspire warm feelings.

530

One of the best ways to truly get in the spirit of Christmas is to relax with family or friends and watch a classic Christmas movie. These charming films have a way of reminding us of what the holiday season is truly about. Let's take a look at some of the most beloved movies in this category and what they have taught us.

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas!: A little love can change someone's life.

The Grinch was anti-Christmas because no one ever showed him what was behind all of the singing and celebrating. When he realized that Christmas would prevail even without everything he stole from Whoville, his heart (literally) grew. Once he returned the Whos' belongings and was welcomed into their celebration, we see that he is changed for the better.

2. Elf: "The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear"- or, it's okay to be a little quirky.

Buddy the Elf was certainly thought to be odd, but in the end, his big heart helped save Christmas (and won him the girl). Buddy taught us the importance of staying true to yourself.

3. White Christmas: The care that you show for others will eventually come back to you.

Poor General Waverly hit some hard times after World War II. However, his men remembered how kind and inspiring he was as their commanding officer, so they came back to support him during his time of need. This goes to show that kindness pays off.

4. A Charlie Brown Christmas: Don't get caught up in commercialism.

Charlie Brown just couldn't understand why Christmas didn't feel like Christmas anymore. Everyone around him was too focused on the superficial aspects, while he was trying to recover the true meaning of the season. They made fun of the adorable little tree he picked out, but in the end, it helped everybody realize what they'd been missing.

5. The Santa Clause: Sometimes, unexpected things that you don't necessarily want to do can turn out to be wonderful.

Scott Calvin certainly never expected to become contractually obligated to serve as Santa Claus. At first, he was skeptical (understandably so). His new identity came with struggles, but the adventure also brought him closer to his son, Charlie. He ultimately embraces his role, proving the power of an open mind.

6. A Christmas Story: Listen to your parents.

Maybe Ralphie didn't actually shoot his eye out, but for a split second, he was pretty sure he did. Perhaps he shouldn't have scoffed at the multiple warnings his elders gave him.

7. The Polar Express: Good things come to those who believe.

The final lines of this film are tear-jerkers. Although his friends and sister grow too old to hear the magic of his little souvenir bell, the narrator still can because he truly believes in it. This shows how powerful believing truly is, and how it can open up a world of possibilities.

8. It's a Wonderful Life: Never lose sight of all of the wonderful things in your life (shocker).

Although George Bailey has encountered his fair share of obstacles, he has a beautiful wife, adorable children, and is well-liked by many. Yet still, he finds himself suicidal on Christmas Eve. This film is one of my personal favorites, as it reminds us to count our blessings, rather than focus on the negative.

9. Love Actually: Love, whether familial or romantic, is a theme among all ages.

Many people like to poke fun at this slightly ridiculous tale of various love stories set during the Christmas season. While this accusation may be true, this film has taught us the sad truth that love is likely to be a lifelong struggle. However, it also highlights different types of love and how each is unique, which somewhat makes for that.

10. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Embrace what makes you special.

Even though everyone was mean to him and his peers wouldn't let him join in their reindeer games, Rudolph ultimately saw the beauty in his shiny red nose. Santa comes to his senses and saw that Rudolph's nose could be an asset to his team, and Rudolph ends up guiding Santa's sleigh. Don't be ashamed of what makes you different!

11. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: Family isn't perfect.

Clark Griswold tries to give his family the perfect, old-fashioned Christmas, but his attempts always seem to fail. All families have their quirks, so it's much easier to just accept that, rather than fighting it.

12. A Christmas Carol: Money only gets you so far in life.

This classic story warns us about what greediness and an obsession with money can do to a person. Ebenezer Scrooge had a miserable life because he shut everyone else out. Thankfully, he sees the value in family and friends by the end of the film.

13. Home Alone: There's more to people than meets the eye.

"Old Man" Marley had a bad reputation, but Kevin discovers that he is actually a nice old man with personal struggles of his own. He ends up helping Kevin by knocking out the burglars. The lesson here is to get to know people before you judge them.

14. The Year Without a Santa Claus: Always let people know how much you appreciate them.

Santa got sick one year, and felt like no one would even care if he took a break from his usual Christmas Eve duties. Apparently, Christmas spirit was pretty low. However, the little kids that took the time to send him cards really cheered him up. A little thought goes a long way.

15. Miracle on 34th Street: You're never too old to believe in Santa Claus.

Or, if you're maybe a bit too old to believe in Santa, you're still not too old to believe in the true meaning of Christmas. Keep the love and joyfulness of the season alive!