15 Feel Good Movies For When You're Not Feeling So Good About Finals | The Odyssey Online

15 Feel Good Movies For When You're Not Feeling So Good About Finals

Why study when you have Netflix?

667
Recently Heard

It's that time of the year again: finals season! In high school I would always stress about the final tests in my classes, but I think we all know that college takes the word "finals" to a whole new level. It's kind of hard to not stress about a test when it could potentially make or break your grade, sometimes counting for half of your GPA in the class. An important part of being able to be a good student is not being too stressed. Nothing is as relaxing as sitting down, drinking some tea, eating some snacks, and watching a good, old "feel good" movie! So this week, when you're not stressing about or studying for finals, try to take some time out of your day to relax and watch one of these movies.

1. The Intern (2015)

Oh, Robert DeNiro, you adorable old man. In The Intern, Robert DeNiro plays an old man who, after years of retirement, gets an internship at a local clothing company. DeNiro's character ends up being the intern to none other than the head of the company, portrayed by Anne Hathaway. I've seen so many mushy, heartwarming movies, but The Intern is probably my favorite of them all. It's not centered around romance or even a traditional type of friendship. It's about the unique and touching bond between two completely different kinds of people. The Intern never fails to lift my spirits and I'm sure it will do the same for you.

2. The Switch (2010)

How can you resist a Jennifer Aniston movie? Trick question, you can't. The Switch is about two best friends, portrayed by Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman. Aniston's character, Kassie, is a middle aged woman who, worried about never being able to settle down, decides to elicit the help of a sperm donor in getting pregnant. Excited about having a child, Kassie throws a party to celebrate her upcoming pregnancy. Bateman's character Wally goes to Kassie's party and gets extremely drunk, accidentally spilling the sperm donor's deposit and in his drunken state, Wally decides to "fix" his mistake by refilling the cup himself. Though Kassie then gets pregnant with Wally's child, Wally is the only one that knows. Seeing the development of the relationships between not just Wally and Kassie, but also Wally and his son is so sweet and definitely the perfect pick me up during the stress of finals.

3. The Proposal (2009)

Betty White, Sandra Bullock, and Ryan Reynolds: what more could you ask for? When Margaret realizes she is about to be deported she bribes one of her employees to marry her so that she can get a visa and stay at her job. In order to make their story realistic, Margaret goes with Andrew, her employee, to visit his family in Alaska and hilarity ensues. The Proposal perfectly mixes comedy with a sweet story. The way that two seemingly opposite people work together is both hilarious and touching to watch. I think it teaches us a lot about learning to get along with those that we don't normally agree with. It can be hard to remember that everyone we interact with has his or her own life and struggles, but The Proposal reminds us of this. I've watched The Proposal at least ten times and can easily see myself watching it again in the near future.

4. Daddy Day Care (2003)

Daddy Day Care is the story of how one father opens up a day care business to make money and spend more time with his child. The plot of this film is such a creative story that really highlights the importance of parents in one's life. Naturally, Eddie Murphy makes everything hilarious so in this movie when you're not crying from all the heartfelt things the children are saying to him, you'll surely be laughing. There's just something about movies focusing on non-romantic relationships that contributes to making a lot of them "feel good" movies. I haven't watched Daddy Day Care in years but even so I remember the story perfectly. Whether you're more for comedy or a heartwarming story, Daddy Day Care is the perfect film to enjoy.

5. Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)

After divorcing his wife Daniel Hillard is upset at how little he gets to see his children so he comes up with an elaborate scheme to dress up as an elderly British woman and gets hired as a nanny. The entire premise of the movie, a father going to such extremes to see his children, is already enough to get the tears flowing. Despite the absolute hilarity in what Daniel is doing, the audience is quickly distracted from that when they realize how touching it is that a parent would try so hard to be with his kids. Seeing how much all of the characters loved each other, despite their circumstances, never fails to evoke a good feeling in me. I can imagine that Mrs. Doubtfire would be such a great movie for any kids who are dealing with their parents' divorce to watch, as it teaches people such a valuable lesson about loving one another, regardless of your relationship.

6. Singin' In the Rain (1952)

I mean, it's a musical, of course it's a "feel-good" movie. Singin' in the Rain is about Hollywood's conversion from the silent film era to talkies and how prominent actors and actresses in the industry deal with this change. The vibrant colors, the amazing actors...how could anyone not like Singin' in the Rain? With the recent passing of Debbie Reynolds, now is the perfect time to sit back, relax, and feel nostalgic about old Hollywood. Watching the development of all the characters' relationships and learning valuable lessons alongside them makes this movie so fun to watch. One can't help but sing along and marvel at how perfectly everything seems to fall into place. Truly a classic, Singin' in the Rain is one of the best movies to watch for a quick pick me up!

7. 50 First Dates (2004)

True love at its finest. I know that Adam Sandler doesn't always get the best rep, but it's hard to deny how sweet this movie is. After meeting Lucy, the main character Henry is relentless about trying to woo her, despite the fact that she has short term memory loss, which forces him to reintroduce himself to her every day. The extent that someone would go to in order to be with another person is so endearing. Through all of the complications, Henry persists, convinced that him and Lucy are meant to be together. 50 First Dates is a sweet reminder that there are people out there that will love you no matter what and that love is worth the effort.

8. Just Go With It (2011)

In an effort to date women without committing to anyone, Danny persuades his assistant Katherine to pose as his soon to be ex-wife in order to win the affection of Palmer, a beautiful woman that he is interested in. Throughout the web of lies that Danny tells in order to get his story to work, his and Katherine's relationship grows into something outside of their relationship as colleagues. On a trip to Hawaii, complications in Danny's lies ensue, creating a lot of comedy for those watching his story unravel. I'm not going to lie, I've seen Just Go With It at least twenty times, all within two weeks. What can I say? The amazing Jennifer Aniston and the hilarious, child-like Adam Sandler...it's just a really good movie. A large majority of this movie isn't touching in the most traditional sense, but watching the characters' relationships develop and the hilarity that comes with it never fails to lighten my stress.

9. The Game Plan (2007)

The Game Plan was the first movie I thought of when I decided to write this article. It involves a teeny, tiny Madison Pettis and a big, gigantic Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. When Peyton's mom dies she sets out on a mission to find her dad, famous football player Joe Kingman, who was previously unaware of her existence. Not fully adjusted to the parent life, Joe has a hard time adapting to the new expectations his daughter has of him. Seeing how rapidly these two learn to love each other is just so cute. The Game Plan is an easy movie to appreciate and the little quirks of the characters along with how sweet the father-daughter relationship is makes it such a heartwarming story.

10. Instructions Not Included (2013)

Instructions Not Included, similar to The Game Plan, is about a stereotypical bachelor finding out that he is a father and then being left to raise his daughter on his own. Valentin ventures to the United States in hopes of giving his daughter a better life. In everything that he does, from working hard to forging letters from Maggie's absent mother, it is obvious that Valentin loves his daughter. Through all of the crazy adventures they have and struggles they face, this father-daughter pair is inseparable. Instructions Not Included is the perfect movie to watch when you're all cuddled up in bed, either preparing for or recovering from finals.

11. Raising Helen (2004)

Raising Helen is about the tragic tale of a young woman having to raise her older sister's kids after her sister and brother law pass away. Helen is extremely young, irresponsible, and surprised by her passed sister's decision to give her custody. The kids and Helen all face challenges as Helen goes from the cool aunt to their parent and each character experiences their own coming of age. Raising Helen is a story about resilience, strength, and love. Almost everyone can relate to at least one character on some level, which makes the movie all the better. Watching the way that their new formed family comes together after the death of loved ones is moving and inspiring.

12. Stuck In Love (2012)

Stuck In Love is a unique representation of how different people go about finding love. Samantha Borgens' mom separates from her dad William, leaving him in distress. However, William is not the only one struggling with romantic relationships as Sam is learning to trust others and her brother Rusty gets used by a girl he cared a lot for. Stuck In Love is a story of patience, forgiveness, and trust. Though we may all lose hope in others sometimes, Stuck In Love is there to remind us that a little bit of waiting can do us all a lot of good.

13. The Holiday (2006)

Amanda and Iris, each from a different continent, are both dissatisfied with their relationships, Iris struggling to gain the affection of her longtime crush and Amanda dealing with a cheating ex boyfriend. Each woman sets out to get away from her life for a little bit, opting to use a house exchange program to have a vacation. The women encounter each other online to swap houses and, accidentally, lives. Each woman's new life comes with both challenges and benefits, all tying together to make one great movie. Watching their paralleled lives and how the good that comes to each of them complements the other is so satisfying to watch. Though it has strong Christmas movie vibes, The Holiday is a great film to watch during any time of the year.

14. Cast Away (2000)

I don't think anyone has ever loved another person as much as Chuck Noland loved Wilson. After surviving a plane crash on a deserted island, Chuck is left to survive on his own with little resources available to him. Many of his attempts at contacting civilization and sailing away from the island fail, but Chuck persists. It may not be what most people think of as a stereotypical "feel good" movie, but watching Chuck's journey and seeing his determination to reunite with his loved ones proves those people otherwise. Not only is Cast Away intriguing, keeping you on the edge of your seat, but it also has you rooting for Chuck from the very beginning, hoping that his next attempt at getting off the island will be successful.

15. It Happened One Night (1934)

Of course I couldn't write this article without including a film by Frank Capra. Frank Capra films are the epitome of "feel good" movies. In the 1930s, Capra took is as a personal duty to create films that, instead of reflecting the harsh realities of American life at the time, would allow audiences to escape from their challenging and mundane lives. Personally, I think he did a wonderful job. It Happened One Night is the story of a spoiled woman, Ellie, running away from her father so that she can marry the man she truly loves. Since she has never been on her own before, she begs for the assistance of a man called Peter, who begrudgingly complies. The film follows them throughout their escapades, showing how their relationship develops. Just like most other Capra films, you can imagine that everything just falls into place like puzzle pieces in It Happened One Night, which is the most prominent feature of touching stories. If I haven't already convinced you to watch this film, I will end with this: Clark Gable. Enough said!

There are so many great genres of films to be enjoyed but my favorite but just be the good, old touchy-feely ones that make you reach for the Kleenex box. These kinds of movies are good all year round, especially in times of stress. While it's definitely a good idea to study for your finals, de-stressing is just as, if not more, important. So make sure to take some time to yourself to relax, maybe watch a few of the movies on this list, and then go out there and ace your finals!

Note: Watching these movies while snuggling with a puppy is highly recommended though not required.