15 Facts I Bet You Didn't Know About The Fourth Of July

Happy birthday America.

66
tumblr

The Fourth of July is always a time any American is excited for. You've made plans since last year, let's be honest. You've already bought the food, drinks, red/white/blue clothing, swimsuit, gas to get where you are going and fireworks. You've already packed everything, called everyone you know, and even took an extra day of work off. But do you even know what the Fourth of July is about? Do you even know what has happened on this day?

Here are 15 facts I Bet You Didn't Know About the Fourth of July:

1. On July 4, 1776, the five founding fathers approved the Declaration of Independence to be free of British rule. Some say it should be on the second though since that's when the Declaration of Independence was actually approved but they didn't have it completed and printed till the fourth. Even back then, procrastination got the best of them.

2. Shockingly, three presidents passed on Independence Day; John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died hours apart in 1826 (the 50th Anniversary of Independence Day), and James Monroe also passed in 1831 on this beloved day. Do I hear a conspiracy theory in place?

3. Artillery solutes-a key feature of Independence Day celebrations-ended by the late 19th century. But one early tradition that hasn't gone out of style is fireworks. Congress first authorized pyrotechnics as part as Fourth of July celebrations back in 1777. Today, more than 14,000 firework displays go off across the nation every year. The largest is the Macy's 4th of July Spectacular in New York City. 75,000 pounds of fireworks go off during the half hour show (which is attended by 15 million people). Just another reason NYC is known as the capital of the world!

4. Finally in 1941, congress made Independence day a federal holiday. Along with only 3 other federal holidays: New Years Day, Veterans Day, and Christmas Day. Why isn't my birthday one of them?

5. How many people signed the Declaration of Independence on July Fourth?Two. John Hancock and Charles Thompson. Only two people officially made the United States what it is today. No more saying your one vote won't have an impact on changes in the country, am I right?

6. Opposite of the three presidents deaths, there was one birth of a president on this day. Calvin Coolidge, the 30th president, in 1872. He led the nation through most of the Roaring Twenties, a decade of dynamic social and cultural change, materialism, and excess. Can you say you would of been able to be a leader in that time?

7. Is there something written on the back of the Declaration of Independence? Yes! It’s said the following is written upside down and backwards: “Original Declaration of Independence dated 4th July 1776.” It’s not known who wrote it, or when. In Revolutionary War years, parchment was rolled up, so this probably served as a message. That's one message that couldn't be preserved over a text message or email!

8. The Nathan’s Fourth of July Hot Dog Contest has become an annual tradition. How did it start? Legend has it that four immigrants got into an argument over who was most patriotic. To prove themselves, they ate as many hot dogs as they could handle-nothing says America like excess.

9. America isn’t the only nation that celebrates the Fourth of July. It might sound odd, but if you celebrate the Fourth of July outside the U.S., you still might see fireworks. This is because thousands of people emigrated to the U.S. in the early 1900s. Weird that other countries celebrate and accept us but we don't always do the same in return for them.

10. Only 2.5 million people lived in the United States when the Declaration was signed. Can you imagine living in the United States back then? In case you are unaware, there is over 300 million people in the US today. That's 120 times larger than what it was!

11. For the sport junkies out there, New York Yankees pitcher Dave Righetti threw a 4-0 no-hitter against the Boston Red Sox on July 4, 1983. It was the first no-hitter in 27 years. Nolan Ryan now holds the Major League record for no hitters during a career. And the 60 million dollar value of the contract offer to New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, was withdrawn after his Fourth of July fireworks injury in 2015. That's one expensive accident!

12. Which newspaper first printed the Declaration of Independence? The Pennsylvania Evening Post. This seems inevitable since Pennsylvania is where the Declaration of Independence meeting was hold and where the Liberty Bell stands. The Liberty Bell hasn't rang since 1880 due to preserving this staple piece to the US and is instead tapped 13 times to represent the 13 colonies. "4 for Pennsylvania? You go Pennsylvania!" {insert Mean Girls quote replacing Glen CoCo}.

13. Thomas Jefferson was the first president who held a Fourth of July celebration at the White House. He opened the house and greeted guests in front of the portrait of George Washington. He added music with a band playing, a festival took place outside with horse races and parades, and even fed everyone with a "thanksgiving" meal. This tradition continues years after in which I am still waiting for my invite.

14. The oldest continuous Independence Day celebration in the United States is the 4th of July Parade in Bristol, Rhode Island. This celebration has kept to its roots since it began in 1785. If that's not tradition, then I don't know what is!

15. The number of Americans who will spend the holiday at other people's homes is approximately 41 million. In this time, 150 million hot dogs will be consumed, 900 million pounds of chicken and beef will be purchased, a total of 6.77 billion dollars be spent on food alone for the fourth, and the best holiday for beer sales will occur. 67 percent of all annual firework injuries take place within a month of July 4th, 690 people go to the emergency room with firework related injuries, seven will die from fireworks-related incidents each year, and 400 people are killed in Fourth of July car crashes each year in which 41 percent of these fatalities involve alcohol impairment. 14,000 fireworks will be on display for us to view, 15 million will be watching the Macy's 4th of July Fireworks on NBC from their television, a 42 percent decrease in air quality because of fireworks, and 5,000 to 30,000 costs of hosting a municipal firework display.