14 Reasons Why I Left The Anti-Feminist Egalitarian Movement, Part 1 | The Odyssey Online

14 Reasons Why I Left The Anti-Feminist Egalitarian Movement, Part 1

The many reasons why I converted from egalitarianism to intersectional feminism.

316
Colorado College

A few months ago, if you were to ask me about feminism and what feminism means to me, I would’ve felt insulted and responded that feminism is a hate movement. Now, I'm a proud, unapologetic part of the intersectional feminist movement. Here are the reasons that motivated me to make the switch.

1. It was created to only combat and make a mockery out of feminism.

If you go on an egalitarian page anywhere on the internet, you’ll more than likely just come across a page that dedicates its time and efforts to show the flaws of feminism — complaining how today’s feminists whine about the inequities and inequalities of society, by complaining. Catch my drift? This movement spends so much time trying to demonstrate the badness of feminism than actually helping those in need.

2. It’s anti- (white) feminism, not anti-feminism.

The typical argument within the egalitarian community revolves around them being against (white) feminism. What is white feminism exactly?

White feminism is feminism that isn't inclusive of people of color, the disabled community, the mentally ill community, and the LGBTQIA+ community struggles. They only have a voice for (white cisgender) women. For instance, when Nicki Minaj brought light to the fact that slimmer bodies being celebrated results in being awarded, Taylor Swift commented that Nicki is pitting women against each other and further derailed her by suggesting that one of the men nominees probably took her spot, when what she should've done was acknowledge that issue Nicki addressed.

More examples of white feminism involve ludicrous things, such as man spreading, which is problematic to the trans and nonbinary community, involving genitals and body parts to feminism (i.e., "Your genitals are normal!"), which is also problematic, and many other things.

3. The belief that modern feminism is pointless since we’ve “come so far.”

No matter how far a movement has come, it is still relevant to social injustices. If everyone had that mindset, no change would come forth and the wrongdoings will continue. For instance, if Civil Rights advocates and activists had the mindset that they've already come so far, so the movement is pointless, segregation and lynchings would still be occurring. If gay rights advocates and activists stopped caring about the movement in June of this year, since gay marriage became legalized, no further change will come. Those in the LGBTQIA+ have more problems to overcome (i.e. adoption, hate crimes, job opportunities), not just marriage. This argument is also prevalent in those that believe people of color should be "grateful" since slavery is abolished and racism "no longer exists."

4. The belief that we should help women across the globe with “real” problems.

First and foremost, the way women are regarded in the United States are going to differ around the globe, of course. I feel that, as an American citizen, it isn't my place to tell someone that was socialized in a different culture that they're oppressed. It also isn't our place to "save" them without consent. Since they grew up in their particular society, they probably feel that there doesn't need to be any "saving." However, I do speak up for what I believe to be the mistreatment of women internationally, of course. It's a bit elitist and ethnocentric to hold America on this high pedestal and it's intolerant to shove our political beliefs down their throats.