13 Ways that Inside Out Helps Us Understand College | The Odyssey Online

13 Ways that Inside Out Helps Us Understand College

Who is running your control center?

21
www.joseruiperez.com

College is a part of life that is filled with emotions, just like the movie Inside Out! Let's take a look at how Inside Out perfectly connects to college life....

1.) Crying

Sometimes you cry because you are sad, because you miss someone, because you are so happy, because you got that new job, or because you failed a big test, or sometimes just because. Many times the tears just come, but these tears are still a part of the college experience.

2.) Food

The classic college diet consists of pizza, soda, french fries, and other unhealthy cafeteria options. Schools tend to offer either odd food options, or the same thing over and over again. Sometimes they even combine both the odd food options to your classics, just like when Riley was offered broccoli pizza, and she thought it ruined the pizza. College food can be tiring and annoying, but knowing that you will one day have a home cooked meal again always brings a sense of hope.

3.) People do weird shit

Your roommate may run around naked just like Riley does in this scene, or you may be wandering campus and happen to stumble upon someone without shoes on, dressed as a shark, or someone just singing. You never know what you will encounter in college but often times it is just accepted because college is such a weird place.

4.) Me Time

Being alone at college can be scary sometimes but other times you need your own space. Telling people just to get out of your face or ordering food and hiding somewhere so that you can decompress is also important.

5.) Giving Up, but not really...

College provides so many different challenges and often these challenges all arise with similar due dates, or time frames. This makes it feel like the best option is just giving up and saying screw it, but normally you just push through because you need to get it done.

6.) Motivation

Often times when you are in that slump and you have given up you just want to lay there as Sadness does, but you cannot always just do that. This is where your friends come in, they help you get your shit together and drag you along so that you can continue being a productive member of the college community.

7.) Things Change

Routines are so convenient and many times once you get into a routine one little thing changing can be terrifying. Just like when the emotions begin changing into abstract versions of themselves, they are still the same but everything appears to be different. Just keep pushing forward and don't let this fear stop you.

8.) Boundaries and Label

People will label you and then only see you as the over-involved person, or the loner, or any other label and then they try to trap you inside that label. If you even step a single toe outside that line then people see you as a weirdo and they get mad at you, but as sadness shows you should step outside those boundaries that they set for you.

9.) Be Yourself

Bing Bong never really worries what anyone thinks of him because he is just a ball of fun energy! This is how you should be, be yourself, have fun, and live the college life.

10.) Feeling Down

While Riley begins her journey of running away she is feeling very "meh" and down. College students feel this often too, sometimes days are just more grey than others, or the homesickness really gets to you.

11.) Being a hero

Sometimes the little things you do make you feel like you deserve so much credit and recognition. If you find someone's ID, if you hold the door for a stranger, many times in college little acts of kindness make it feel like you have saved the day.

12.) Counting down the days

College is just a continuous cycle of counting down the days. Counting until the end of the semester, and then during breaks counting until you go back to school. It is just a continuous state of counting down to something else.

13.) Loving your friends

Your friends are the most vital resource you have during your college career and event though you may all be different you all help each other survive. So remember to appreciate your friends and all they do for you.

Well now, back off to college!