13 Things You Know If You Take Ballet

13 Things You Know If You Take Ballet

From the pain of dance to the love of dance, you know it all.

231
13 Things You Know If You Take Ballet
Kelly Roth

If you took ballet as a kid or still take it as a teen, chances are you can relate to at least a few of the things below. You remember the smell of hairspray and the hushed excitement in the wings before going on stage. You remember getting so excited about trying on your costume for the first time and finding out the song for your recital piece. Well not a lot has changed, except maybe the complexity of your dances.

1. Bobby Pins, Bobby Pins, Bobby Pins

If you’ve ever taken a ballet class, you know that the classic ballerina bun is no joke. Having taken ballet for thirteen years, I can make an acceptable bun in about twelve seconds, but this means there are bobby pins everywhere—in my room, car, bathroom, bottom of my dance bag, backpack, etc. There’s even occasionally a stray one that falls out of my hair in the shower. I’m pretty sure they’re multiplying.

2. Dance Definitely Is A Sport

The definition of a sport is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” I don’t know about you, but this sounds like it could be describing any form of dance. I don’t dance competitively, but I know a lot of very talented people who do. I think it would be very close-minded to say dance is not a sport; just because it is also an art, a lot of people discredit its rightful place beside basketball, football, cross country, and any other sport most high schools praise. Just because an activity is beautiful, doesn’t mean it doesn’t also take skill, talent, determination, and especially strength that all other sports also require. If you don’t think dance is a sport, I suggest you try it first and see if you don’t leave more drained than after a “real" sport’s practice.

3. Sorry, I Can't. I Have Dance.

Never has there been a more relatable statement, and I have many missed birthday parties, study groups, and family gatherings to prove it.

4. That Feeling You Get When Your Teacher Says "Yes!" While You're Dancing

You have to experience it to know this, but this is just the best feeling in the world.

5. You Can Easily Impress Non-Dancer Friends

Whether it’s with a simple split or a few fouetté turns, their jaws will amusingly drop. Sometimes it only takes telling them you take dance or listing off a few impressive-sounding ballet terms. Jeté, entrechat, rond de jambe. Yes, I’m brilliant.

6. Everything Pops

If you’ve ever taken a ballet class, you know that quiet moment at the barre when everyone pliés and you hear a chorus of knees, ankles, necks, backs, and everything else pop. At any point in class or at home—when standing, walking, or really doing anything— you pop. It’s not an uncommon sound.

7. The Pain Is Real

If you’ve ever taken pointe, you know what I’m talking about. The blisters, the ripped skin, the soreness. But you also know it’s definitely worth it.

8. You Have To Make It Look Easy

Your teachers tell you to make it look like you’re a fairy from the waist up. Your épaulement and port de bras should be soft, while your legs and feet should be strong and exact. You must make it look easy, even though it is anything but.

9. Other People's Idea Of What A Ballerina Is

When you say you take ballet, how many times has someone put their hands on their head in mock-fifth en haut and spun around in the worst form you’ve ever seen?

10. You Remember Looking Up To The Older Girls As A Little Kid

As a kid, I remember watching the older kids en pointe and hoping to be like them someday. I wanted to be just like my big sister and especially enjoyed watching her and her friends practice The Nutcracker.

11. Correction After Correction After Correction

Chin up, shoulders back, ribs in, don’t sickle, pull up! You have to think about a millions things at once, and every time your teacher starts to walk over to you, you try to image what one error you could be making out of a billion possibilities.

12. That Terrifying Moment When You Fall Off Pointe

Your heart skips a beat, and you get a glare from your teacher.

13. You Wouldn't Rather Be Doing Anything Else

Although dance can sometimes be painful, time-consuming, and frustrating, you know nothing else could ever replace it.