13 Songs from Animated Movies to Help You Get Through Finals

The ultimate playlist for taking a break from adult responsibilities.

103

Finals week: the two words capable of making any student shudder. Unfortunately, finals week is a tremendously stressful time for students who have term papers, final presentations, and exams to complete. Whether or not the pain of finals is already over for you, you could probably stand to relax with a few of these classic selections from childhood movies we all hold dear.

1. "Batty Rap" -- FernGully: The Last Rainforest

"I rock and I ramble, my brain is scrambled!"

During finals week, we're all a little batty. This musical number by Batty (played by the late, great Robin Williams) is hilarious but also paints a disturbing image of humans; while we're prepping for finals, we don't like other humans so much, either.

2. "Strangers Like Me" -- Tarzan

"I can see there's too much to learn. It's all so close and yet so far."

If there's one good thing about finals, it's that everyone is struggling together. Whether you meet them in a big study group or simply make a joke about finals being the death of you, this week is actually a really unifying time during which making friends is a little bit easier.

3. "Bare Necessities" -- The Jungle Book

"Look for the bare necessities, the simple bare necessities. Forget about your worries and your strife."

When you're intensely focused on not failing all of your classes because of one test, it can actually be hard to take proper care of yourself. Don't forget to eat well and get enough sleep in order to stay healthy and maximize performance on those exams; the bare necessities are more important than we realize sometimes.

4. "Journey to the Past" -- Anastasia

"Starting now I'm learning fast, on this journey to the past."

One of the weirdest things about final exams is that you knew these things at one point in time, but for many of the topics, some relearning is required. Sit back and let this ballad from Anastasia wash away the stress from hours spent cramming.

5. "Why Should I Worry?" -- Oliver and Company

"Why should I worry? Why should I care?"

While a healthy amount of concern for how you do on your exams is key, remember not to worry too much. Channel Dodger from Oliver and Company, a Disney classic, and remember not to completely stress yourself out. Take study breaks and, after exams, let yourself recover with some rest and relaxation.

6. "When Will My Life Begin?" -- Tangled

"And I'll reread the books if I have time to spare ... And I'll keep wonderin' and wonderin' and wonderin' and wonderin' when will my life begin?"

If your exams are especially late, you've probably been complaining for a while about still being on campus when it seems like all of your friends are home relaxing. If that's the case, this is the perfect song for you to listen to as you bemoan the delay before you can finally see your family and friends.

7. "Just Around the Riverbend" -- Pocahontas

"Why do all my dreams extend just around the riverbend?"

If you're anything like me, you're probably counting down the days until you can be lounging at home with your time being entirely your own. Try as hard as you can to stay optimistic; the end of the semester is on the horizon or, as Pocahontas might say, just around the riverbend.

8. "A Possible Hero" -- Bartok the Magnificent

"You're scared. So what? I'll bet you've got a possible hero in you."

Let the vocal stylings of Kelsey Grammer, who plays the character of Zozi, inspire you this finals season. This little-known gem is my go-to for when I need to get pumped up. Maybe if I listen to this song enough, I'll start to believe the kind words that Zozi the bear sings to titular character Bartok before they set out on their dangerous mission.

9. "Nothing's Going to Stop Us Now" -- Cats Don't Dance

"If I wanna dance, I'll dance. That's my song and I will allow. Dance and sing all night long! Nothing's going to stop us now!"

For all the stress they cause, finals are actually a good thing in that they signify the end of the semester. Take a study break and listen to this jazzy number from Cats Don't Dance to celebrate all of your accomplishments.

10. "Almost There" -- The Princess and the Frog

"I know exactly where I'm going. I'm getting closer and closer every day."

This is a great song if you need some motivation to finish the semester strong. We can't all have Tiana's intense focus and drive, but we can follow her advice and keep on pushing forward with the knowledge that we're almost there.

11. "Go the Distance" -- Hercules

"I am on my way; I can go the distance. I don't care how far, somehow I'll be strong! I know every mile will be worth my while."

This classic song from Disney's Hercules is ideal to belt out before and after a long study session. Even though the end might be a short ways away, if you can stay strong, you can go the distance.

12. "Through Heaven's Eyes" -- The Prince of Egypt

"No life can escape being blown about by the winds of change and chance, and though you never know all the steps, you must learn to join the dance."

Despite the anxiety that comes with finals week, perspective is very important to keep in mind. These exams may be important for your current semester grades, but by next semester, they'll be out of mind, and you'll be working towards new goals. Don't tie up your worth in temporary things like finals; instead, dance to this upbeat song from The Prince of Egypt and let it remind you that there is a bigger picture of which finals are a very small part, much like a single straw in a tapestry.

13. "After Today" -- A Goofy Movie

"After today, I'm gonna be cruisin' ... After today, my brains'll be snoozing ... Things'll be going my way after today."

When the day of your last final rolls around, use this opening song from A Goofy Movie to keep you going. You've made it so far, and you'll be finished after today! Soon, you'll be able to kick back and pretend that finals didn't even happen.

In conclusion...

Yes. Finals (in all of their varied forms) are tough. If anyone tries to tell you differently, simply ignore them and proceed with your work. Additionally, as crucial as it is to get work done during this time, it's equally as important to take care of yourself. Whether that means taking breaks to eat with friends, getting a nap in, or listening to these 13 songs is entirely up to you; as long as you get out alive, you've succeeded.