13 Activities That Are Totally Acceptable During Finals Week

#Nojudgementzone

8
My Photo

Finals are a stressful time for any college student. I know that I haven't gotten any better at handling them--and this is my fifth time going through the ordeal! It's a time when stress runs rampant. So here's a list of 13 activities that are totally acceptable during finals week.

1. Studying

I know this one seems like a no-brainer, but hear me out. I know it seems like it's no problem, but you would be surprised how little motivation you'll be able to muster up when you know that the end is so close. You might want to spend all your time sitting around and not doing anything, but that's not the way to your degree!

2. Taking mental-health breaks

I know I just stressed the meaning of studying, but don't over study. Mental-health breaks are equally important or you'll burn yourself out. Take a walk, read a book because you want to, or go get food. Just do something that will get you out of your living space for a short while.

3. Rewarding yourself

"Treat yo' self!" Seriously, when you finish a final, do something nice for yourself. If you want, you can even wait until the end of all of your finals and then do something big for yourself. For example, I'm going to get my nails done when I get back home after my last final.

4. Listening to music

It's a good way to take a small break, or maybe you're like me and it actually helps you study. Either way, listen to your favorite tunes. If you need to blast them through a speaker and dance in the most ridiculous manner, do so.

5. Spending your dining dollars on caffeine

This means any and all manners and variations of caffeine. It can be your favorite brand of soda/pop/coke. You can go to the coffee shop on campus and get ridiculously priced cups of coffee to help you blow the surplus of dining dollars you have (if you're like me). That caffeine will help you with studying, or get you closer to a stress-induced heart attack. Either way, finals will be a breeze.

6. Napping (anywhere and everywhere)

Don't believe me? Just watch. Look around on finals week and you will see people sleeping literally anywhere--before, after, (and during) their finals. Naps in the library are always popular, since that's basically where we all live during finals week. Don't be surprised to see college students curled up with blankets in the floor. If you aren't an exhibitionist when it comes to your naps, rejoice and just stay in bed.

7. Crying

Along with naps, you will most likely see quite a few tears. They could be from stress, gratitude, lack of sleep, or pure joy of the semester being over. I promise myself that I won't cry every semester, and then I overcook Ramen in the microwave during finals and I'm just inconsolable. Crying is totally acceptable, though. Everyone will understand your pain and you might get to join a group cry.

8. Spending all day in the library

When I say people curled up with blankets, I'm not joking. We all basically live there during finals week. Sometimes we don't even leave to get food. I mean, why would we? There's food right there!

9. Watching Christmas movies

Nobody's going to judge you for watching Christmas movies; they understand that you're trying to make finals more bearable. It's so much easier to think of finals as the precursor to Christmas instead of a week that's a personally delivered from Hades.

10. Eating your favorite things

If that means you're stuffing your face with Ramen or popcorn, then so be it. Finals is not a time for judging. If I want to stuff Reese's after Reese's in my mouth and wash it down with ice cold Mountain Dew, then that's what I'm going to do.

11. Pulling All-nighters

These are honestly a specialty of college students across the globe. There's nothing like the panic of realizing that you didn't study nearly enough for that one final that you almost forgot about. You need to make flashcards and quiz yourself for hours--at least, that's pretty much what it feels like. All-nighters aren't always bad. Study some, but take a walk. If you actually make it till the morning, go outside and watch the sunrise. Then face-plant in your bed and sleep until you absolutely have to wake up again.

12. If it doesn't involve cooking, it's your friend

That might mean you're eating Little Debbie snacks for a week, but if that saves you some trips to the kitchen, is it really such a horrible price to pay? If it involves anything more complicated than a microwave, I would say it's not that important.

13. Wearing comfy clothes--all day, everyday

Whatever that means to you, it's totally acceptable. If that means you're in sweatpants and a hoodie for a week, then you wear them with pride! If you're more comfortable dressed up, then dress up (just don't be surprised if most of your classmates look like zombies compared to you).