12 Signs You've Been At Ithaca College For Too Long - The Odyssey Online

12 Signs You've Been At Ithaca College For Too Long

It’s hard to imagine leaving it all behind after graduation.

198
stateuniversity.com

When you first get to Ithaca, everything is new and exciting, but after a year or two, you start to see some signs that you've been here a little bit too long.

1. Campus Center food makes you sad.

After freshman year, you don’t even bother going to Campus Center Dining Hall because the food just isn’t that good. The walk to Towers or Terraces is worth it ... unless it’s below zero outside.

2. You know the shortest route to your classes with the least outdoor exposure.

Those long winters are killer, but you’ve figured out how to get from one class to the next with minimal exposure to the cold. This usually means an extra couple flights of stairs or walking through the entire Textor corridor, but when you step out into the below-zero wind chill, you know it’s worth it.

3. You have a perfect study spot.

This happens at all colleges, but not all colleges have the amazing views IC has. Who doesn’t like to study in a place where taking a break means staring out at Cayuga Lake? Whether it’s the fourth floor of the library or the pond by Muller Chapel, everyone has their own preferred place to hit the books.

4. You know the TCAT schedule by heart.

After all of those trips to the Commons, you know exactly when the TCAT leaves the Park School or Towers. You also know in the winter or on the weekends the TCAT’s going to be 10 minutes late and are no longer surprised at how fast they can drive down the hill.

5. Fifty-five degree weather means it’s time for shorts and skirts.

In the fall semester, students spend the first few weeks enjoying their shorts and dresses before we’re all doomed to sweatpants and boots. Once the sun finally peaks out from behind the clouds after about April or May, it’s time to break out the summer clothes again, even though it’s still not considered warm by most people. With such a harsh winter, we have to soak up those sun rays while we can.

6. You can’t say Tuesday without thinking "taco."

Everyone’s been to Taco Tuesday at least once, and now you will forever be doomed to associate the two.

7. You have “Ithacalves” or a “Bomber Booty” from all those stairs.

So many stairs. Living on a hill, we’re forced to trek up and down those stairs regardless of the weather every day. We’re owed some killer-looking legs by the end of our four years here.

8. You’re no longer surprised when the Internet does’t work

Whether it’s because you walked from your dorm to an academic building without switching to Airnet, or Resnet is just plain not working, you’re no longer surprised that it takes two minutes for your computer to find a Wi-Fi connection. This doesn’t make it any less annoying, but at least you’re expecting it.

9. You don’t think twice about composting

IC is big on recycling and composting, and while at first you were surprised that plastic cups could be compostable, you’re now a pro at separating your trash into the bins in the Pub.

10. You have a Camelbak waterbottle

It seems like nearly every person on campus has a water bottle with them at all times, and with the amount of walking up and down hills, water is a necessity. Extra points for those who have one that says "Ithaca College" on it.

11. You feel comfortable leaving your stuff everywhere.

Ithaca's generally a pretty laid-back campus when it comes to guarding our stuff. You may feel a little weird leaving your phone on a table in the dining hall while you go to get food, but everyone does it, and soon you'll be leaving valuables unattended in all kinds of public places you probably shouldn't.

12. You never want to leave.

It sounds cheesy but with the amazing views and incredible people, it’s hard to imagine leaving it all behind after graduation.