12 Signs You Work Retail During The Holidays - The Odyssey Online

12 Signs You Work Retail During The Holidays

Joy to the mall, the shoppers have come...

258
GoSimpleFinance

There are multiple reasons why America loves the holiday season. Whether it be the music, the decorations, the carolers or the over priced coffee drinks, people LOVE the holidays! There's one winter past-time that trumps the rest, though: shopping. With an entire holiday dedicated to it to kick off "the season," it's no surprise people love to spend their hard earned cash on those they love most. But let's give a shout out to the real unsung heroes of the holiday season, retail workers. While you're out shopping with your family and friends, they're spending time away from theirs to make your experience easier. There job is no walk in the park, though. Here are 12 experiences our winter-time retail saviors know all too well.

1. You get to work before the sun rises and leave after the sun sets.

What even is daylight? Lucky for you, I can open and close this store with my eyes shut.

2. You have a new found hatred for Christmas music.

"Have a holly, jolly" -- JUST SHUT UP.

3. You start to remember more about your customers families than you do about your own.

"Hi Mrs. Smith! How's your granddaughter? I knew she would love those boots!"

4. You dread doing any holiday shopping of your own.

Is it acceptable to give my family IOU's this year? What about a jar of my tears? No?

5. You can identify other retail employees by the looks of fake happiness on their face.

I know that smile. That's a "I've been on my feet for eight hours and this baby just ransacked the store" smile!!

6. Santa and his friends recognize you.

Hey Will! Uh, I mean Buddy...

7. You have your friends schedule around your work schedule because, you know, black out dates.

I can't come. No, I can't take off, it's two weeks until Christmas DUH!

8. You’ve become an excellent gift wrapper.

And you can do anything with one hand. Tying a bow? Child's play.

9. You fake laugh at customers “funny” jokes.

If only you had a dollar for every time you heard "It's not ringing up? Must be free!!"

10. You know the questions customers are going to ask before they ask them.

Let me stop you right there -- no, I can't accept that coupon that expired three months ago and combine it with your item which is already on sale, and I can get you my manager, but he'll say the same thing.

11. You try to catch up on sleep on your only days off, aka Christmas day.

If you're lucky enough, some days you can catch some zzz's on your 15 in the break room.

12. No matter how much you complain, you know you'll do it again next year.

Your co-workers have become your family essentially since you see them more, and you just can't leave them to fend for themselves next year.

Remember shoppers, employees are people too. Be kind this holiday season!