12 Reasons Your Roommate Is The Best | The Odyssey Online

12 Reasons Your Roommate Is The Best

Are they really that good?

82
12 Reasons Your Roommate Is The Best

A roommate is known to make or break an individual. People often tell horror stories about their college roommates while the good roommate experiences tend to be forgotten. It is easy to get annoyed with your roommate and and take them for granted; however, it is important to appreciate the good times you have together. In order to deal with the bad qualities your roommate may possess, it is important to remind yourself of the good qualities as well.

1. Space

They give you your S P A C E. Having friends around you 24/7 is exciting; however, many of us also need time to be alone. Having a roommate who understands the meaning of personal space is great. Whether you long for peace and quiet, time to organize your side of the room, or time to watch Netflix, (and chill) it is imperative that you have some time to yourself. Just because you live together does not mean that always need to be together.

2. They Don’t Get Mad At You Constantly

Since you live together, you cannot get angry over every minor problem. It is okay to argue, cry, talk, or fight, but just like they say in all the movies "do not go to bed mad". A roommate who picks and chooses their battles is one worth keeping. There will be times when you get annoyed at one another (it’s normal), but having someone that you get along with for the most part is the key success. You live together, so learn to like each other.

3. Mutual Respect

Mutual Respect. Respect is an important quality which both individuals must possess. If your roommate respects your boundaries, the rest of the semester will be smooth sailing. However, if one person is respectful and the other one is not, the situation will go from 0 to 60 really quick. Roommates who respect each other are people who do not want to move out at the end of the year. If you are counting down the days to get rid of the person who sleeps 10ft or less away from you, get a new roommate.

4. Friendship

They actually are your friend. Roommates do not have to be best friends, but knowing that they will always be there to talk to is a good feeling. See your roommate outside of the room (no, this does not mean in an RA meeting). A change of scenery never hurt anyone, right? Don't forget to enjoy your college years and make memories. You only go away to college once!

5. They're Your Human Alarm Clock

If you tell them to wake you up, you will be up. Roommates in some cases are your personal human alarm clock, although maybe not at 8am. If you know you can only fit an hour nap into your busy schedule, they will have no problem pushing you off the bed to wake you up. Long story short, if your roommate is available they can make sure you wake up for Chem lab. (No matter how much you want to skip it)

6. Sense of Humor

It’s okay to laugh! Having someone who allows you to be yourself and who can crack jokes every now and then is good for the soul. It’s okay not to take everything seriously. You live together so let your hair down!

7. They Contribute

In a dorm you have needs: water, snacks, and ramen. Having a roommate that stocks the room at times, will make all the difference. You should both contribute 50/50, after all you both live under one roof.

8. Considerate

They’re considerate. Being inconsiderate can be one of the biggest problems that can be found amongst roommates. When they choose to not conduct themselves appropriately it can be taken personal very easily. If your roommate doesn’t make you sleep with the lights on, and allows you to have a comfortable living experience they are doing it right...keep them around.

9. They Listened

Listen! Your Roomie listens because they care. Living together makes you have a lot to say at times, and just being there to listen will help you feel at ease. They know you go on rants, complain, flip out, and gossip but they listen to it all.

10. Remember

You have an agenda, as do they; But they remember what is important to you. They know your birthday, your family, your friends, what classes you are in, and they remember what is important most to you. They remember the good, the bad, and the ugly and are always able to help you out when you become forgetful. They’ll put on your favorite movie when your sad, clean when you can’t see the floor, and know you have a love/hate relationship with candy.

11. They never overstepped boundaries

They knew what was right, and what was wrong. They never allowed you to feel uncomfortable or awkward. Your clothes were not tampered with, nothing was ever stolen, and you rarely ever had to have a conversation about rules. They respected your living space and you. No one wants those awkward moments, and with your Roommate you knew it never was even a thought.

12. They Made The Time You Spent Special

Every morning when you woke up you knew it was going to be a chill day. Class, work, and time management stress you out, but you know your roommate will not add to the list of annoying things. They make everyday okay, and allowed you to make the most of all situations. They never judged you, and encouraged you to live. You actually want to live with each other in the future however, if circumstances don’t permit it you truly wish them well. You learned a lot from each other; You didn’t know you were making memories, you just thought you were having fun.