12 Most Underrated Musicals

12 Most Underrated Musicals

12 musicals whose time in the spotlight was much too short.

236
12 Most Underrated Musicals

As a musical theater enthusiast, the number of musicals I haven't liked is extremely low. While I can understand why some of the more obscure musicals I enjoy aren't more widely discussed, there are some that deserve much more praise than they've gotten. This is a definitive ranking of the 12 most underrated musicals.

12. Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark

With music and lyrics by Bono and The Edge, this musical comes straight out of left field; who can honestly say they've imagined the story of Spider-Man making a good rock musical? Although the score had its strengths ("Boy Falls From the Sky," "Bouncing Off the Walls," and "DIY World") and weaknesses ("No More," "A Freak Like Me Needs Company," and several others to be quite honest), the really interesting things about this show are the beautifully designed sets and costumes as well as the breathtaking aerial sequences. While I do think this show should have received more positive feedback, many actors did suffer injuries due to the complicated and very dangerous stunts, hence its place at the bottom of the list.

11. [title of show]

This crude yet smart original musical did something previously undone; it chronicled its own creation by offering valuable (and hilarious) insight into the process of creating and producing an original musical. Its wit and offbeat brand of humor make [title of show] a unique, memorable musical experience, but its extremely short Broadway run of three months was not reflective of all that it had to offer.

10. Waitress

While this musical has received rightful criticism for some of its shortcomings (plot holes, character flaws, and irksome Southern accents), Waitress does not get enough credit for what it does right; it is clever and heartfelt and funny with notably charming music and lyrics by Sara Bareilles. The cast gives a great performance, and the food puns alone are enough to score this new musical a spot on this list. Oh, and did I mention that it was the first Broadway show in history with an all-female creative team? Because that's pretty awesome, too!

9. In the Heights

This beautiful, moving, energetic musical features heavy Latin and hip-hop influences (as well as the genius of Lin-Manuel Miranda). In the Heights has just about everything you could want from a musical of its kind: humor, heart, romance, great choreography, and stirring musical numbers. The themes of community, determination, acceptance, legacy, and national pride make this musical an exceptionally important one as well. It could be argued that In the Heights has been adequately praised as it has won four Tony awards and a Grammy, but three years on Broadway was not nearly enough for this masterpiece of a musical; there are 96,000 reasons this show should still be on Broadway, in my opinion.

8. Tarzan

This show, one of many Disney-based musicals, had many interesting characteristics that set it apart. It contained detailed costumes, stunning sets, and captivating usage of aerial harnesses. Unfortunately, despite the money and research that went into producing Tarzan, its critical reviews could be described as mixed at best. It was fair of critics to claim that the music fell flat, but the kinetic tricks and choreography as well as the visual interest offered by the sets and backdrops more than made up for the simplistic score; Tarzan deserved more than the year it had on Broadway.

7. Matilda The Musical

This musical adaptation of the Roald Dahl children's novel will end its Broadway run in January 2017, bringing its total run to just under 4 years. Additionally, this radiant show has received five Tonys. Matilda's popularity is well-deserved; with triumphant music, sharp lyrics, intelligent humor, and gorgeous sets, Matilda is more than deserving of its critical adulation. I would argue that the musical's imaginative nature and powerful message about standing up against injustice warrant more discussion of Matilda among critics and the general public alike.

6. Aladdin

Another Disney stage musical, Aladdin provided beautiful musical additions to the movie's soundtrack, dazzling sets and special effects, and exquisite dance numbers. Thankfully, its Broadway run is still ongoing, but strangely enough, this musical has received a good amount of criticism along with its positive reviews. Some critics have even gone so far as to call this show boring, but I find it difficult to think of a single dull moment, costume, or musical number in this show. This invigorating Disney adaptation is worthy of much more acclaim if you ask me.

5. Little Shop of Horrors

This captivating comedy horror musical is a classic as far as rock musicals are concerned. Although many comedy shows fail to strike a winning balance, Little Shop of Horrors manages to successfully incorporate the depth of serious topics like poverty and abusive relationships while maintaining its fun lightheartedness. While this show has had enough success to be adapted into a popular 1986 movie with the beautiful Rick Moranis, it was on Broadway for less than a year, which really is a shame considering its potential for astonishing set design (think Audrey II).

4. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

This musical, based on the Victor Hugo novel and Disney movie of the same title, never even made it to Broadway. Despite its rich score, remarkable set design, and fearless exploration of themes like religious extremism and physical deformity, The Hunchback of Notre Dame was deemed too dark, as the musical adaptation adhered more to the Hugo novel than the 1996 Disney film. Disney was reluctant to associate a show so dark with its brand, known primarily for its whimsical, childlike content. For this reason, Disney was not willing to spend the lofty costs to get Hunchback on Broadway. Disney's reluctance to stand behind the show might also explain its unfortunate lack of publicity (though it did receive many mixed to positive reviews).

3. A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder

This brilliant satirical musical features beautiful costumes, lovely set design, catchy music, and immensely witty lyrics. A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (Gentleman's Guide for short) is characterized by its pseudo-sophisticated comedy, powerful score, and somewhat veiled message about overcoming adversity. Sadly, its Broadway run ended this past January; two years on Broadway and four Tonys is pretty impressive, but a show as masterful as this one deserved much more discussion than I have heard about it.

2. Shrek The Musical

Although Shrek did receive a lot of good reactions from critics, many other critics have called its score derivative and flat; I, however, beg to differ. Shrek's intricate costumes (for which the musical won a Tony) and sets help to create the fairy tale world in which this show takes place. In addition, the music by Jeanine Tesori is incredibly well-rounded, ranging from campy ("Story Of My Life" and "I Think I Got You Beat") to dramatic ("Who I'd Be," "Build A Wall," and "Big Bright Beautiful World (Reprise") to uplifting ("Freak Flag" and "This Is Our Story"). The musical's message about reveling in our differences and remaining united no matter what those differences are also makes Shrek a very relevant piece. Despite all the good things about Shrek, the musical's Broadway run ended after just over a year due to its inability to recoup the large amount of money that was required to produce it. If the musical was regarded with the appreciation it deserves, I theorize that it would still be on Broadway today.

1. Legally Blonde

Omigod you guys, can you believe that this musical was only on Broadway for a year and a half (without winning a single Tony)? Although it might not compare to revered Broadway jewels like Wicked or The Lion King, Legally Blonde is in a league all its own; its effortless combination of humor and lively musical numbers with serious topics like healthy relationships, independence, and feminism make it a breath of fresh air that also packs a punch. With some of the catchiest songs on Broadway ("Omigod You Guys," "What You Want," "So Much Better," and "Bend And Snap"), Legally Blonde promises an extremely fun, enjoyable viewing experience. However, unexpectedly profound numbers ("Chip On My Shoulder," "Legally Blonde," and "Find My Way/Finale") manage to sneak into the score and get the audience thinking about important, exigent questions. Though the belting chops of Laura Bell Bundy should've been enough to secure this show a decade or two on Broadway, the sweet and progressive message paired with the superb sets and outstanding choreography justifies much more popularity and acclamation than Legally Blonde had in its time, which is why it is the number one most underrated musical.