12 Facts About Artistic People

12 Facts About Artistic People

Twelve interesting attributes of the artistic mind.

4265
12 Facts About Artistic People
Larson Rogers

Believe it or not, artistically inclined people possess unique qualities that greatly distinguish them from others. These attributes are vital to the thought processes that artists face every day of their lives.

1. It is not always easy to deal with an artistic mind.

Artistically inclined people think in a way that strongly differs from less artistically minded people. Half of the time, this is a great thing- having the ability to see things in a way so antithetically is a precious attribute to hold. There are times, however, when the artistic mind can be a bit of a burden. When your mind is constantly running on creative fumes, it can be difficult, at times, to focus on one certain thing.

2. Inspiration comes when you least expect it.

Whether it be in the coffeehouse, the shower, or even sitting down for dinner, ideas and inspiration come at the most unexpected times. This is both a good and bad occurrence. Good, because artist's block is real and extremely inconvenient. Bad, however, if you don't have something on which to jot the idea.

3. Artist's block is real. (As stated in point 2).

Artist's block is certainly a point of concern for artists of all shapes and sizes, ages, experience levels, etc. What do artistically inclined people do best? Their art, undoubtedly. Therefore, when caught in a block, it can be especially frustrating simply because it inhibits us from doing the one thing that we do best.

4. They often over-criticize themselves as well as their work.

Alongside those individuals who critique their work from time to time, they are the ones who critique themselves more than anyone else ever could. Artists push themselves as far as they feel they can, and even then, there isn’t always utter satisfaction.

5. When they love, they love deeply.

Artists love in a way that is much more complex than most. They see beauty in almost everything this earth has to offer, even the things that some may consider average or overwhelmingly ordinary. Thus, when encountering something they truly, deeply love, their passion exceeds that of ‘your average Joe’.

6. They observe almost anything and everything.

Whether it be a flickering light, the twinkling of the stars, or even something as paltry as a dust particle dancing in a stream of flooding light, artists observe. They observe the big and the small, the beautiful and the ordinary. They have a tendency to see things from a highly intricate perspective that is markedly unique.

7. Many projects are left unfinished.

Because inspiration often come sporadically and unannounced, it makes in difficult to complete one task and/or project before beginning a new. When a new idea arises, especially after an excruciating period of artistic block, they grow anxious and excited to jump into the newest exploration their mind has composed.

8. They are risk-takers.

They are constantly pushing their limits and boundaries, regardless of who they were set by. They take chances, it’s just something they do.

9. Displays of self-expression in nearly everything they do.

Whether it be intentional or not, their work is often a direct expression of themselves. The way they observe things also provide abundant insight to their thought processes and the way their brain works. Their talent is directly inhibited in the work that they do, the things they say, the songs they sing.

10. They are constantly being put down when seeking to follow their passions.

When an artist goes about pursuing their dream, it is not uncommon for them to receive ridicule from many. The majority of artistic careers are very ‘hit and miss’. There is no guarantee, we artists understand that. It takes a lot of strength to pursue something that has no absolute guarantee of success, but they continue to try, because it is their gift.

11. They tend to follow their heart, more so than their mind.

This ties into the last point to a certain extent. Artists have a tendency to rely more on their heart than on their mind. Why? I’m not quite sure, but it is known that artists will listen to what their heart has to say, before listening to what their brain is telling them.

12. They will love their piece one minute, and hate it the next.

Artists are very up and down when it comes to appreciation of their own works. They may be in love with what they’ve done one day, and hate it the next (or vice versa). As stated earlier, artists are often times their own worst critic. This can prove very challenging for the artists at times, but eventually, they come to understand that it is a part of who they are.