11 Things Villens Know and Love About Somerville, MA

Even if they don't.

207

Everywhere you go, you can find someone who has been to, or knows someone else who has been to Somerville, Massachusetts. My family and I have tested this theory on every vacation we go on in the continental US. Checks out every single time. Just like every city, Somerville has its beautiful aspects. However, unlike every city, we are simply the best. Here are somethings you will never forget if you are from Somerville, MA.

1. MBTA

As a child in Somerville, whether you had a car or not, this was your frequent mode of transportation because you knew it could take you literally anywhere (in eastern MA). Hop on one of these bad boys and your day could go from dull to gull (you could end up at the beach... get it?).

2. Lyndell's Bakery

Wherever you are when you hear the word "cupcake", you automatically start to crave the sweetness of a Lyndell's cupcake or half-moon. Walking in to the bakery just feels like walking into your front door. And even though they barely follow the "Take A Number" system, you grab one anyway to complete the experience.

3. The Cambridgeside Galleria Mall

Despite being in Cambridge (and barely for that matter), The Galleria is a national landmark in the eyes of the Villens. It's not the greatest place to shop but it encompasses a special place in all the hearts of the people of Somerville.

4. Davis Square

Somerville is approximately 4.2 square miles with a population of around 79,000 residents. At least once a month, if not once a week, each resident will have made their way to Davis Square for something. It is the perfect hang out for teenager, the elderly and everything in between. Yes, it has changed a big in the past couple of years (most disappointingly the loss of McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts) but we still love it.

5. The Somerville Theater

At the age of 13, this is the first hangout spot for many teens without their parents. From popular movies to local film festivals to live theater, the Somerville Theater, the heart of Davis Square, does it all. After a movie you can grab an ice cream at JP Licks or head over to Mike's for a slice of pizza.

6. Mike's Pizza

Also located in the heart of Davis Square, Mike's Pizza never has a dead night. It is one of the local hubs for people to go out to eat and grab a drink. Despite containing a full bar, it is a perfect eatery for all ages.

7. Assembly Row

Assembly Row is relatively new to the Somerville Community. Since its building, Assembly Row has increased the spots for shopping, eating, and movie watching.

8. Kelly's Diner

If you've ever been to Kelly's Diner on Broadway, you know the wait staff and they know you. The friendly atmosphere of this place is impeccable and makes everyone feel welcome back. The food is delicious and affordable. And the experience is one to definitely go back for! I mean, breakfast 'til 3? Amazing.

9. The Green Line Extension Project

*sighs* It seems like everywhere you drive in Somerville is under construction to expand the Green Line. While it may be an inconvenience now, it will be worth it in the end when you can take the train to even more places. Fingers crossed.

10. Porch Fest

Porch Fest is a bitter sweet time in Somerville. Local artists get to express their music right on their front porch and gain an audience. Anyone is welcome to perform and express themselves and their talents. While this is a great way to get music to the city, it's a rough time for those not participating. Streets do not close down, which is nice for getting around. However, some audiences get so large that they stand in the street, disallowing traffic to flow. So, if you are reading this and like to participate in Porch Fest, as a plea from your fellow Villen, please leave streets clear for others to get down. It will just make everyone's Porch Fest experience that much more enjoyable.

11. Somerville High School

Somerville High School is the great melting pot that brings this city together. I truly believe that Somerville High is unlike every other high school. The connection between students and teachers is extremely strong. There are no cliques. Everyone is everyone's friend. The different communities and cultures all blend together to create a stronger community and one big family.

All in all, Somerville is a great city with great communities. I am honored to have grown up there.