11 Things To Do This Summer In Rhode Island - The Odyssey Online

11 Things To Do This Summer In Rhode Island

We're more than just the Ocean State.

96
Film-Festival

A solstice has passed, meaning that summer is finally upon us. Summer is the time to branch out and embark on the adventures which have been accumulating in our minds since the fall. Every year, I write a summer bucket list to keep motivated. Rhode Island may lack in size, but it is full of opportunities to create some of the best moments of your adolescence. These are just a few of the best ways I've found to spend my summers.

11. WBRU Summer Concert Series

The local radio station 95.5 has announced their lineup for this year's Summer Concert Series. This summer, Unlikely Candidates, Dreamers, Marian Hill and SWMRS are all coming to Waterplace Park. Overlooking the Providence River, the venue is unlike most with the stage being lower than the audience. All of the concerts are free and occur on July 21st, July 28th, August 4th and August 11th at 7PM. This is a great experience for a first time concert-goer and for anyone who enjoys Alternative Rock or Indie music.

Negatives: Finding a good spot means getting there early.

Positives: Free; Good music; Supports local bands.

10. Crook Point Bascule Bridge

Anyone who lives in or travels frequently to Providence knows the bridge I speak of. It is an iron structure, stuck forever rusted in an upright position. The bridge was built as a part of the East Side Railroad Tunnel project in 1908 and was abandoned in '76. Now, it remains over the Seekonk River, visible from the highway. The bridge has always fascinated me and I recently took the initiative to see it up close in person. For those who have a similar interest in the history of Rhode Island and abandoned bridges, I recommend taking a trip to East Side Market. From there, you can park your car and walk to a trail right behind the market which leads to the bridge.

Negatives: More of something to view than an activity to do.

Positives: Satisfying for the curious; A part of Rhode Island's history.

9. Go on a Donut Craze

If you have yet to try it out, PVDonuts is the place to go for any sudden sugar rush. Their gourmet donuts beat anything you could purchase at a Dunkin. The menu varies from Coffee Milk Toffee to Banana Split and changes regularly. Their brioche donuts are the best for its moist dough and will leave you wondering why you ever touched your tongue to those other sandpaper impostors. But why stop there?

Right nearby PVD is Knead Donughts who also practices in the art of gourmet donuts. Despite the calorie intake, eating donuts is a great way to spend a summer day.

Negatives: Costs money; Calories.

Positives: Great place for desserts; Invest in a rising trend.

8. Visit the Grave of H.P Lovecraft

For anyone who is an admirer of poetry and literature, Lovecraft was a famous local horror fiction write who was often compared to the works of Edgar Allen Poe. He is now buried in Swan Point Cemetery in Providence with a smaller gravestone to mark the site that says "I AM PROVIDENCE." There is also a small shop entirely dedicated to him located in The Arcade in Providence. Anyone who enjoys visiting historical landmarks or appreciating literature can admire the grave of H.P. Lovecraft.

Negatives: If you fear cemeteries or death, probably not the place for you.

Positives: An iconic part of Rhode Island's history; A very unique place to adventure to.

7. A Drive-In Movie

Ever since watching Grease, I had been obsessed with the idea of a drive-in movie. As much as I love theaters, there is just something so much better about drive ins. Just a carload of friends in the comfort of your own zone, getting to watch two movies. The volume and temperature can be adjusted to your exact pleasure. I even have a friend who built a bench in the back of his truck just for this purpose. It's a great place for a date night, privacy and a way to immerse yourself in an old tradition. The Rustic Drive-In in North Smithfield is the place to go.

Negatives: A bit pricey if you're only going to stay for one movie.

Positives: Great date night; Group hangout friendly; A combination of the movies and outdoors.

6. The Washington County Fair

The Washington Country Fair has been occurring for over fifty years and is a five day event filled with food, rides, live music and competition. Each day is packed with variations of pie eating contests, egg tosses, mud tug-o-war and fireworks. From August 16th to the 20th, the fair will be held in Richmond. Adult tickets cost 11$ dollars and ride tickets cost extra.

Negatives: Only occurs for a certain period of time during the summer.

Positives: A lot of different activities to do.

5. Waterfire

Waterfire is a classic trademark of Rhode Island. It amazes me to find out that people who have been living here their whole lives have never attended one. It's a simple idea--small fires running along the Providence River-- but is also so much more. Walking along the river, one finds bridges glowing with blue stars. There are street performers posing as gargoyles or stone angels. Occasionally, there is a ballet performance at Waterplace Park. It is a great way to spend a night out and, the best part, it's completely free.

Negatives: Occurs only on certain dates.

Positives: Free; A pinnacle of Providence culture; Supports local art.

4. Fort Wetherhill

This former coast artillery is now the home to massive amounts of graffiti. Located in Jamestown, the abandoned fortress overlooks a beautiful view of the ocean. It's dark, cavernous halls are perfect for explorers and thrill seekers. Following a path behind the parking lot, one can climb to the top and find an amazing view of the surrounding area. It's a beautiful spot for photography, to watch the sunrise/set, or have a picnic with a friend.

Negatives: I would recommenced going with friend during the day since that area can be sketchy at times.

Positives: Beautiful sights; Nearby Newport.

3. Thrift Shopping Haul

Last summer, being dirt poor, I discovered the amazing lifestyle that is thrift shopping. There are thrift shops for clothing, books and vinyls. Plato's Closet in Warwick has amazing deals on clothing. For the readers, Symposium Books in Providence has classics for as low as five bucks. My preference for vinyls is What Cheer? on Thayer Street. In addition to vinyls, the store also has a collection of antique pictures and other merchandise. Of course, a thrift shopping haul could also double as a great way to get rid of old stuff lying around the house. You may not make a fortune, but it is a great way to put some extra money in your pocket. Check out local thrift stores, see what their terms are, and try it out.

Positives: A great way to save money; Can profit from it.

Negatives: May not find something specific that you were looking for.

2. Prospect Terrace Park

Hidden in the streets of Providence is Prospect Terrace Park. It's a medium sized grassy area with benches and a statue of the myth, the man, the legend himself: Roger Williams. In fact, it's actually his burial site. Besides that, the park is a lovely area to put down a blanket and watch the view of the city. It's elevated with the advantage of being on a hill and is a popular place for college students to hang out or for locals to bring their dogs to. On rare occasions, one may even see a man hop over the iron fence and try to scale the stone wall of the park. This is not recommended. For someone who needs a break from a computer and a place to relax, Prospect Terrace Park provides that perfect paradise.

Positives: Can be done any clear day; Right in the city.

1. A Picnic at Jerimoth Hill

Most have probably never heard of Jerimoth Hill. I had not up until last year and I've lived in Rhode Island for 18 years. One ride to Foster/Glocester later, and I had arrived at the tallest point in the state. Yep, that is all it is. People can park off to the side of the road and make their way across to the beaten down path in the trees. After a five minute walk, one reaches an open field. To their right, there is a cluster of rocks deemed the highest point in Rhode Island. It's a fun, quirky way to spend the day. Not a place one would visit frequently, but a great activity to check off just to say you've been. There is a log book to sign and the path continues deeper into the woods. Add some friends and some good food and it's the perfect place to have a picnic. (In the colder months, it's a great place to go and see the stars away from light pollution).

Positives: Something to show off to hipster friends.

Negatives: A longer drive (depending on location).