12 Things I Love About Missouri Western

12 Things I Love About Missouri Western

We are proud to be a Griffon for a reason.

87
12 Things I Love About Missouri Western
Megan Chism

I’ve always heard the saying that “college is the best four years of your life,” and after only two years, I can determine that it’s true. When it comes to school spirit, Missouri Western State University is the one to beat. Our campus and even our community are filled with Griffon supporters from all around the globe. When I talk to students and parents from other schools, they never quite understand how so many people could be so interested and involved with Missouri Western. It can be hard to express how our bonds are so strong, so I typically try to show them. The following are just a few reasons of why I love Missouri Western State University.

1. Free Printing

Free printing is one of the first things I like to point out to anyone because nowadays it’s rare. Some students, like myself, still prefer to have written notes and printed out copies of the teacher’s power points. Free printing makes life as a college student so much easier since we are not wasting so much money on printing everything we need.

2. Food Options

Western Dining Hall

$7 buffet. That is all I normally have to say about our dining hall to get people attracted. All of the food is made to order, except for what has to be done in advance like pizza, and is all you can eat. The food they offer is made for to fit everyone’s needs. They offer dishes for vegans, vegetarians, and those who are looking for items that are low in sodium and fat-free. The dining hall is also open all week long and even provide the menu online.

The Blum Student Union Food Court

If students ever get tired of eating at the buffet or don’t like what’s on the menu for the day, then they can head on over to our Food Court. We have Three different options in the food court, Burger Studio, Subway, and Wu’s Oriental Kitchen. Everyone already knows what Subway is but, at Burger Studio, students can make a customized burger or chicken sandwich to their unique taste. Wu’s Oriental Kitchen, also known as the W.O.K., students can customize their stir fry entree.

Einstein Bros. Bagels

Einstein Bros. Bagels is the perfect place to stop and get a snack and drink while on your way to and from class. They have bagels, of course, but they also have other delicious options such as salads, soups, sandwiches, coffee, and desserts. I always recommend the pizza bagel.

Java City

Our campus has two Java City’s -- one in the Blum Student Union and the other is inside the Hearnes Center. Both locations have sitting areas to take a break with a cup of coffee and do homework or hang out with friends. They also have smoothies, teas, and hot chocolate.

Max’s Mart C-Store

Open until 12:30 a.m., Max’s Mart is a great place to visit when you need a break from studying and grab a snack. They also offer over-baked pizza, Java City drinks, and convenience store items.

Provisions on Demand (P.O.D. Market)

The P.O.D. is another one of the campuses quick stops to head to in between classes to grab a snack or refreshment. They have hot food every day, except when closed on weekends, and other items like sandwiches, salads, and chips. The P.O.D. also has a menu provided online.

3. Walter Cronkite Memorial

The Walter Cronkite Memorial is a great recap of the historical Walter Cronkite, who was born in Saint Joseph, Missouri and recognized as an outstanding journalist. The Walter Cronkite Memorial displays 39 images of world events covered by Mr. Cronkite, videos of events covered, a timeline from his birth to death, a CBS Newsroom replica and more. Both students and our community love to visit and be reminded of the man who told us that President Kennedy was shot, and that man made it to the moon.

4. Tuition

Tuition is something we love to brag about because Missouri Western’s tuition is not only below the national average, but it’s also the 3rd lowest in the state of Missouri. Our in-state tuition is $197.70 a credit hour, room and board range between $7,590 and $10,484 depending on which residential hall you choose.

5. Center for Academic Support (CAS)

The CAS is a free tutoring facility for both one-on-one and small group tutoring or courses on campus. It is offered for math, writing, and other more specific classes. The CAS is also helpful when your study for a test and run out of flashcards -- they always have them stocked up. They’re also open Monday through Friday during not only the spring and fall semester but also during the summer.

6. Majors and Minors

Missouri Western currently offers 118 majors, and 58 minors separated into 20 different sections and departments. Missouri Western offers majors in:

Art, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Communication and Journalism, Computer Science/Mathematics and Physics, Criminal Justice/ Legal study and Social Work, Economics/ Political Science and Sociology, Education, Engineering Technology, English and Modern Languages, Health/Physical Education and Recreation, History and Geography, Military Science, Music, Nursing and Health Professions, Philosophy and Religion, Psychology, Theater/Cinema and Dance, and Interdisciplinary Studies.

7. Clubs and Organizations

There are around 100 clubs and organizations offered on campus such as Cultural/Ethnic Groups, Fraternities and Sororities, Honors Groups, Religious Organizations, Special Interest Groups, Student Government Association (SGA), and Western Activities Council (WAC). You can also meet with the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) to find out what you have to do to create a club or organization that’s not already offered on campus.

8. The Landscape

Missouri Western has a beautiful 700-acre landscape with over 600 trees, nine ponds, flowers, geese, fountains, and trails. There are three different trails on campus: A 1.9 mi walking trail by Canoe Pond, a 1.5 mi asphalt walking trail by the Residential Life parking in the H lot, and Otoe Creek Nature Trail, which is ¾ mi. Next to the Griffon Spring Sports Complex is the Everyday Pond (Ek me guess uk mbus) which is a fishing pond. Next to the Griffon Indoor Sports Complex is Canoe Pond (Chee-mahn mbus).

9. Athletics

Missouri Western currently has 11 sports which are: Baseball, Cheer Squad, Football, Men’s Basketball, Men’s Golf, Softball, Women’s Basketball, Women’s Golf, Women’s Soccer, Women’s Tennis, and Women’s Volleyball. Missouri Western also received the first few components for the NCAA Divisions II’s largest scoreboard on June 9th which is expected to be complete in time for Griffon Football this year.

10. Max Experience

Max Experience is a great treat for students and their family members as well. If students sign up for Max Experience, both them and up to four family members, get free admission to all home athletic events.

The student will also get: free tickets to select away contests, free bus trip and a ticket to one away football and one away basketball game, one free concession item and drink at all home football and basketball games, free giveaway at select games, and preferred parking (with parking sticker) at home football and basketball games.

11. Clock Tower

The Glenn E. Marion Clock Tower was built in 1997 and is programmed with 111 different songs. The Clock tower chimes every hour and depending on the time of the year, it could play a classic rock song, Christmas Carol or the star spangled banner. There is also a legend that goes along with the clock tower. While walking underneath the tower, you would see a Missouri Western seal and it is said, that if you step on the seal, then you will not graduate. Every year, after graduation, graduates line up to take pictures standing and jumping on the seal.

12. Our Mascot

Max the Griffon, his form had changed many times ever since our school first chose the Griffon to be our mascot in 1917, when we were still called St. Joseph Junior College. It wasn’t chosen just because it looks neat or as a joke from one couch to the other like Northwest. The Griffon was chosen because it is considered a guardian of riches, and Missouri Western considers education as a valuable treasure. The Griffon also has another important touch that was added on. If you look closely, you can see that the Griffon is actually in the shape of Missouri.