11 Signs You're From Findlay, Ohio | The Odyssey Online

11 Signs You're From Findlay, Ohio

Findlay has some identity issues but there's a few things we can all agree on

407
11 Signs You're From Findlay, Ohio

Findlay, Ohio. Population 41,512. It's not glamorous. It's not fancy. But it's home to many. And there are some serious indicators if you are from Findlay. After spending a year in college, I understand some of the things that make me a "Findlayite". Findlay is a strange place. It's not really big, but it's not small. It's certainly not metropolitan but it's not really a "farming community". But the only way that you can understand the way that Findlay is is if you live here. And most of us have spent our whole lives here.

1. You have no answer for what is is "near."

One of the biggest things I have realized about my city in college is that it is actually in the middle of nowhere. A lot of people are from small towns, yes. However, almost everyone follows up the "where are you from" question with "It's right outside of...". When people ask me what Findlay is close to I draw a blank. Toledo? Kind of? "Is it near Cedar Point?" No. "Is it close to Cleveland?" Not at all. "Is it outside of Columbus?" Not exactly. Mostly, Findlay is just surrounded by large expanses of corn. So much corn.

2. Your parents probably work for Marathon Oil Company.

Marathon is really the reason for Findlay's existence. Everyone is somehow affiliated with this company. While no one really quite understands exactly what it is that people who work for Marathon do, everyone is somehow affected by this company.

3. You eat food for entertainment.

Since there really isn't much else to do, one of the main pastimes of Findlayites is just eating. Whether you want fancy food or stuff that will rot your insides, Findlay's got you covered.

4. It's almost dangerous.

You hear about the crime, but you never really see it happening. Your mom tells you that you shouldn't be out at night but you don't take it seriously. You read the docket and laugh at the ridiculous things that people do in Findlay. While Findlay has it's sketchy areas, it's not enough to convince anyone to actually feel unsafe.

5. The only thing you love more than Findlay is Ohio State.

While blue and gold memorabilia scatters the town in support for Findlay High School, Ohio State draws a close second. Anything can be made Ohio State themed. Anything. Toilet seats, wallpaper, jewelry, bedspreads. You name it, I have witnessed it. Much like the Democrats in Findlay, the Michigan fans are few and far between, and pretty much ostracized.

6. You have unconditional love for Dietsch Brothers ice cream.

If you ask someone from Findlay what our pride and joy is, Dietsch's ice cream will probably be their answer. People kill for this stuff. People's devotion is so strong that when Baskin Robbins came to Findlay, it went out of business because no one would go. It has been ranked at the top of many lists of "best ice cream in the country", and we get so excited that we publish it in our newspaper. But seriously, it's good stuff.

7. Your parents party with your friends' parents.

The circle of friendship in Findlay is an interesting one. Your parents are probably friends. Whether you are friends because of your parents or your parents are friends because of you, it's the same formula. They probably have cookouts together, watch sports, and drink a few too many Bud Lights. They may try to play poker even though none of them really know how. You and your friends laugh at them but make a quick getaway when they start telling weird inappropriate jokes.

8. You keep up with the weather.

Maybe it's a Midwest thing. Our weather is crazy and unpredictable. But I don't even need to look at the forecast, because I will undoubtedly be told by someone what is to come. People post about it on Twitter. People pout in protest when it is going to snow. And the best part is who often people are wrong. "Hey did you hear we are getting 37 inches of snow tonight?" People get really excited and carried away when it is suppose to snow. People buy up all the bread, eggs, and soup in the grocery store.There's not a whole lot going in in Northwest Ohio, so the weather is a way for people to get their jollies.

9. You love telling people about the notable Findlay alumni.

While Findlay High isn't exactly the school from Fame, but we have a few notable alumni. And we love to tell you about them. Believe me. Ben Roethlisberger went to Findlay High School and went on to be the quarterback for the Steelers. While he's developed some shadiness to his name, we Findlayites still love his accomplishment. Also, on the other end of the spectrum, Gavin Creel went to FHS and has had roles in multiple Broadway musicals and has won an Olivier. If you want any more information, ask someone from Findlay. They will talk to you all day.

10. George House is your lifeline.

In the abyss of uncool things that Findlay posses, there is a diamond in the rough and its name is George House. A multitude of people consider it their "special place", and it's something that we all love. It's usually quiet, the coffee is exceptional, and the walls are lined with books. While the books are mostly all obscure and about topics like golfing or Nixon, it still provides a great ambiance. If you want to go with a friend, a simple text reading "George?" is all anyone needs.

11. You act like you hate it but you actually love it.

While everyone from Findlay likes saying how much they hate the town, it is where we all grew up. Yes, Findlay is boring. Yes, it is completely landlocked. The weather isn't ideal. However, it seems impossible to hate the place that you were raised. In a few years when we all graduate and move to other cities, Findlay will always hold a special place in our hearts. Except for maybe the Michigan Fans. They all had a rough go of it.