11 Reasons Why You Should Watch The U.S. Field Hockey Team In The Olympics

Not only is it an awesome sport, but the U.S. team is also having a fantastic tournament in Rio.

50
www.virginiasports.com

You may or may not have seen the hundreds of articles that went viral over the last few days about the U.S. Field Hockey team's incredible success thus far in the Rio Olympics. Field hockey is a lesser-known sport in the U.S., but is actually the third most played sport in the world. The U.S. has typically not been very successful as a national team, partially because of the lack of players, the recent growth of the sport, and the fact that the sport is almost completely unknown in the country. So to educate yourself on the sport, here are 11 reasons why you should watch and support the U.S. Field Hockey Team in the Olympics and as a U.S. sport in general.

These Ladies Have Already Qualified For The Quarterfinal

They made beating Argentina look very easy. Argentina's field hockey team has a long history of excellence, but this year the U.S. team made Argentina look very bad.

They Have The Best Record In Rio... Out Of Any USWNT

Forget the other USWNT (soccer), these ladies have the best record and are in good shape to medal at this point.

This Could Be Their First Medal In The Olympics Since 1984

For a country who is dominant in so many olympic sports, it may come as a surprise to some that the U.S. Olympic Field Hockey team has not won a medal in 32 long years. However, with only one loss in pool play (and the loss was in a super close game), the US team looks to have a shot at medaling; and even better, the possibility of winning gold.

They Are Changing The Way The U.S Treats The Sport

For a long time, the U.S. has not given much attention to field hockey. While the sport is very popular in Europe and South America, the sport does not have the same tradition of excellence in the U.S. However, the U.S. Field Hockey team has been going viral and trending throughout their Olympic experience. This gives more hope for future team and more success, and for the sport to be taken more seriously at the high school and collegiate level.

The Sport Has Several Players Who Competed In Both London, And Even Beijing

Some of these women are 3-time-Olympians, which is incredibly hard to do. (Rachel Dawson is one of these women and is pictured above.)

They Are Funny

Their snaps and Instagrams are gaining them even more attention from the media and social media. Their goofy faces, post-game snaps, and even Instagrams of their dogs are pretty hilarious.

These Ladies Are Strong And Do Not Quit

These women are built with tons of muscle and are ready to win gold.

Field Hockey Is Not A Sport For The Weak

While watching a field hockey game it is not uncommon to see women getting hit with cement balls that are covered with plastic, diving and getting burns from the astro turf, and getting hit with sticks. They do not come out of the game or ask for a foul, they just play until the whistle stops.

These Women Believe In Their Training And That Their Hard Work Will Pay Off For Their Country

These women know that even if their country has no idea who they are, they are capable of winning a medal at these Olympics. These women have been training for three and a half years and they want it to show.

These Women Are Teammates And Friends Off The Field

From their birthday parties to their shared wins, these ladies do everything together.

These Gals Want Fans Because They Are Representing Their Country

The biggest reason to get behind these women is because they are representing the USA and we should support every sports team that is representing our own country! They should not have to ask for support, especially after their spectacular Olympic run thus far.