11 Reasons To Visit New York City In Your Twenties.

You're young and vivacious, so go experience and travel!

222

New York City or the city that is known to some as "The Big Apple" is a place unlike any other. Once you are inside the city limits, you have entered a world that is unique to itself and itself alone. There are big buildings and small ones, restaurants and stores that are well known, and those that are only known by locals, and so much more. As unique and original as it is, this city holds a special place in my heart and it is one that I believe everyone should visit. There are many reasons I would tell people to visit New York City while they are young and in their twenties, but here are 11 of the most important ones.

1. To try the food.

New York City has a wide range of different kinds of food to expose yourself to. Of course, there are the sensational foods, like the rainbow bagel from The Bagel Store (349 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211) in Brooklyn and the famous milkshakes from Black Tap Craft Burgers and Beer (529 Broome St, New York, NY 10013) . There are other classic food options as well, like famous New York style pizza. One of the best places to get a slice of this classic pie is at John's of Times Square. Cheesecake, pretzels, hot dogs, you name it, line the streets waiting to be savored as well. Needless to say, New York City is the place for up and coming young adults adventuring through uncharted waters when it comes to food.

2. To visit Ellis Island and Central Park.

Both of these places are old time favorites that most of you have probably heard about. Ellis Island is a place most hear about as young children, as it is one of the places were many people's ancestors traveled to when immigrating from their native country to the United States of America.

Central Park is an iconic part of New York City. It seems as though it is hard to describe the city without the mention of Central Park. With its big rocks, grassy areas and ice rink (in the winter), Central Park is a bright spot in the concrete jungle that helps ground you and make you appreciate the beauty of the city you are lucky to be in.

3. To venture on Wall Street.

Finances. Business. Suits. Ties. Heels. All of it exists on Wall Street. Of course, talk of the debt our country is in exists there as well, don't get me wrong, but Wall Street is it's own kind of wonder of which only certain people can understand. As part of what make the city what it is, this piece of it cannot be forgotten or missed, especially by someone who is young.

4. To see "The Starry Night" by Vincent van Gogh.

The Museum of Modern Art (11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019), is a tucked away wonder in New York City. Inside this museum, works by Frida Kahlo, Andy Warhol and of course, Vincent van Gogh are all put on display for the public to admire. All of the floors are carefully laid out and have enough space for those who visit to wander around and have their own experience unique to them while visiting. For those young, and old, this is a must see when in "The Big Apple".

5. To see a show on Broadway.

You have probably heard this before, I would imagine. It seems that the pure mention of New York City either brings up the idea of visiting the Statue of Liberty (which is also a must!) or seeing a Broadway show. From personal experience, a Broadway show is unlike any other musical/theater experience. They are electrifying. A few of the shows there have been on Broadway for some time now, including a show most people are familiar with in Wicked. Wicked is performed in the Gershwin Theatre (222 W 51st St, New York, NY 10019) and is a marvelous time to watch. Other shows have not been on Broadway as long but have taken it by storm. As of right now, the showing doing this is Hamilton: An American Musical. Tickets for this show are expensive and as a whole, the show has everyone buzzing.

6. To experience the subway system.

There are "underground trains" as small children like to call them all over the world. However, the New York City subway system is something that all should experience, especially at a young age. Trains sometimes are packed with people, and sometimes they are empty. Some trains go straight to one place, while some seem to zig zag and can get confusing if you can't read the map or are a rookie at riding them. Each and every single day on the subway is different, and each and every day you encounter people that are different as well, which is part of the thrill.

7. To see M&M's World.

Chocolate is a candy that most 20-somethings ( or most people in general) enjoying eating and buying for themselves to enjoy and for others to enjoy as well. In New York City in Times Square (an iconic place to see in NYC), exists a chocolate emporium, if you will, in M&M's World (1600 Broadway, New York, NY 10019). Inside the building exists tons of M&M's merchandise, as well as many different kinds of M&M's chocolate candies. Of course, the classic ones are there, as well as peanut, which is one of the other popular ones, and so much more!

8. To shop on 5th Avenue

"Shop until you drop!" takes on a whole new meaning in New York City. At a young age, this is the place to find tons of items that you may or may not actually be able to purchase without severely regretting your decision later on. Stores that are on 5th avenue include Michael Kors, Fossil, Gucci, J.Crew and many more, they are worth going to window shop (at least)!

9. To visit One World Trade Center.

One World Trade Center (285 Fulton St, New York, NY 10007), or the building that is also known as Freedom Tower, is the result of the rebuild after the events that occurred on September 11, 2001. Standing as the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and is the sixth tallest building in the world, this building shows that Americans are not done, that we can rebuild, and that we are strong and standing together. In a time where the youth in America need to see that those in this country can stand together, this is a must see for young people, in my opinion.

10. To experience many different cultures in one place.

Throughout this city, approximately eight million people live there independent lives each and every day. That means, there are eight million different stories of how people have gotten to where they are today. There are eight million tales of triumph and failure. As well, these eight million people with families who are just as unique as they are, and all with their own culture and beliefs too. t is my belief that there is no other place like New York City in America in the way that while one is visiting, they can experience parts of almost every culture from all over the world. That is special, and significant to the lives of young people learning about the world.

11. To visit the Strand Bookstore.

Just another bookstore, right? Very wrong. Outside of this bookstore are carts full of books/magazines/pamphlets from the past and present, (that are discounted as well I might add) that can open up the world to someone who decides to read them. Once you enter the store, you really don't know where to start. There are books, it seems, stuck in every nook and cranny of the store, each one different than the last one you picked up to skim through. Honestly, this was one of the most magical parts of New York City for me, and it is a short subway ride from Times Square and most definitely worth it. Visiting this bookstore can open your mind to the thoughts of so many different writers and people in general, which is something that can only help the mind of someone in their twenties. (Here is the address: 828 Broadway, New York, 10003-4805)

New York City is the city that never sleeps, and one that is constantly changing. While you're young, take a chance and go adventure this city, and take some of your friends with you. You will make memories that will last a lifetime!