11 Reasons To Go See 'Beauty And The Beast'

It's a tale as old as time, but you haven't seen it like this before.

16
NPR

In case you've been living under a rock, Disney made a live-action remake of its beloved classic "Beauty and the Beast" which came out in theaters everywhere Friday, March 17, unless you were lucky enough to see it the night before of course. Personally, I loved it and thought it was absolutely magical. I was on the edge of my seat, singing along to the songs I knew and falling in love with the songs that I didn't. The characters were perfectly cast and the movie magic that only Disney can accomplish was out of this world. In case you're still on the edge about seeing it or you've read some reviews that just aren't really feeling it, here are my 11 reasons that you should go see the new "Beauty and the Beast."

1. Emma Watson

Maybe I'm a little biased because I love her, but Emma Watson is probably the perfect Belle. She has the looks, the talent, and even the voice! For someone who didn't make her living on singing, I think she did very well. She made me fall in love with her even more. She gave Belle that extra girl-power and that feminist touch.

2. The Music

If you're a fan of the original songs, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed with the new renditions of them. I sang along just like I normally do while watching the cartoon version. To my complete surprise, there were new original songs in the movie. And, let me tell you, they are good. They gave the movie a little twist, but also a little more depth. It really gives the audience a better look into the story of "Beauty and the Beast." The Beast's song when he lets Belle go...insert tears here.

3. The Costumes

The dresses, the colors, the suits. So. Perfect. They've obviously made some changes to the outfits we know and love from the original movie, but the changes are nothing to be upset about. Belle's classic yellow dress is as perfect as ever, and don't get me started on how much I want that golden ear cuff she wears during that scene. Even the Beast's costumes are very on point. Shout out to the costume designers!

4. Dan Stevens

Fan of "Downton Abbey?" Want to get your Matthew Crawley fix again? Or maybe this is your first meeting with the man that plays the Beast. Either way, in my opinion, he is a wonderful Beast. Handsome, emotional and funny, he's a perfect choice for the grisly man. Such character development. Such a powerful voice.

5. New Scenes

With every adaptation, there are going to be some changes. Usually I'm not a big fan of movies straying from the place they're supposed to go, but in this case, I'm not complaining. The scene where the Beast shows Belle a book that can take her to wherever her heart desires could have been a movie in itself. And it also changes things up a bit so you don't go in thinking you've seen it all already.

6. Gaston and LeFou

Enter Luke Evans and Josh Gad. Both play the perfect Gaston and LeFou, respectively. The new rendition of the film give both of the characters a little more background and it gives them a little more depth. It also helps you hate Gaston a little more. But really, his narcissism shines through and I think it's just great.

7. Be Our Guest

Maybe one of the most notable songs from the film gets another chance at fame through the new movie. Enter 21st century technology and you get some crazy awesome CGI and fun stuff! Bright colors, fun scenes within the song, very much worth it.

8. The Castle

Maybe I just want to be a princess so I notice things like this, but wow that castle. Even as a scary and decaying mess, I think it's great. And then they start cleaning it and you're like wow, can I live there? Especially when it gets put back together at the end. And that library! Take me there!

9. The "Servants"

With voices of people like Ian McKellan, Emma Thompson, and Stanley Tucci, can you go wrong? They give Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts and the rest of the gang that certain something. They are beautifully made and then once turned back into people are equally wonderfully. Shout out to Ian McKellan for the funny one liners at the end. And of course Emma Thompson's singing of Beauty and the Beast.

10. Background

As I've said, there are some new scenes. And if you're anything like me, that will either excite you or make you question Disney's sanity. In this case, it's pretty great. Getting to know the characters a little better makes the audience connect with them even more. We learn just what Gaston even does, or did, with his life, what happened to Belle's mother and even get a better look into what happened to make the Beast into the beastly man he became.

11. The Dancing

Seriously, the dancing is so exciting. Maybe I would just like to be in a synchronized dance number with a bunch of people, but I thought the dancing and singing were A+. Gaston's song was great, with them dancing on the tables and even sword fighting. Belle and the Beast dancing while Emma Thompson sings and then dancing again at the end made me want to put on my prom dress and grab my boyfriend.

Go see it. You won't regret it. There are way more than 11 reasons to go see it, but hopefully, this makes you want to get to that theater. I'll be going again, that's for sure.