11 Reasons Why Cristina Yang Is The Best Character On 'Grey's Anatomy'

It's time to ditch your old favorite immediately.

1660
USC: Asia Pacific Arts

If you're like me, and you're currently addicted to binge-watching "Grey's Anatomy," then you've probably formed a strong allegiance to your favorite character, and your favorite character has probably already died. Unfortunately, for us "Grey's" lovers, that's just part of the deal: Once you get attached, they'll probably die. My favorite character, however, is a strong survivor of all of the crazy apocalypse-worthy events that are thrown at the employees of Seattle Grace.

So here are 11 reasons why you should drop your favorite character before they inevitably get killed off, and change your allegiance to Cristina Yang.

1. She knows what she wants.

The second Cristina Yang sets foot in Seattle Grace, she knows exactly where she belongs. She is brilliant. She is driven. She is hardcore. She is a cardio god. There are plenty of times when she could have let life get in the way of her destiny -- like when her cardio god fiance left her at the alter, or maybe when Dr. Hahn tried to ice her out of the OR--but no. Yang is a force to be reckoned with, and when she sets her sights on a goal, it will be achieved

2. She is a friend.

There are numerous times in the series that Cristina shows her true colors as a friend--and not just to her twisted sister, Meredith. Who was there when Callie needed a place to live? Cristina. Who was there when Izzie got life-altering cancer? Cristina. It's not often that other characters call on Cristina Yang for help, but when they do, she always comes through.

3. She is excellent in a crisis.

Sure, this comes with loads of help from a good group of friends--dysfunctional, yes, but still good--but she always makes it through the hundreds of crises that get thrown at her (thanks, Shonda).

4. She has her priorities straight.

After her (spoilers!) almost-wedding with Burke, Cristina vows to herself to never let a man change her or come between her and her aspirations ever again. She then becomes one of the foremost cardio-thoracic surgeons of her generation, so I would say it works.

5. She has the self-confidence you've always wished you had.

McSteamy spends an entire episode hitting on Yang, only to find out that she never even noticed he was looking at her. If that were me, I would constantly be waiting for the day that sexy Dr. Sloan even said my name out loud, but not Cristina. She has surgeries and no interest in slutty man-surgeons because she knows she's beautiful and needs no man to confirm it for her.

6. She is honest.

Sure, sometimes her candid nature gets her in trouble, but it's the times that it is hardest to be honest that she knows the people around her really need it, and she always comes through.

7. She knows what it takes to get what she wants.

Cristina Yang has a fire in her eye that I try to channel before every final I take. She is beautiful, she is brilliant, she is witty. The most incredible thing about her, however, is that she will never back down from a challenge no matter how much she has to study, practice or fight for it. She is constantly giving 110 percent for herself and her future.

8. She is relentlessly loyal.

in the words of Callie Torres: "She mates for life."

Name a time that Meredith needed Cristina and she wasn't there for her.

I rest my case.

9. She never worries about fitting in.

Cristina views herself as a swan in a duck pond. Sure, she knows she's different, but to her, that's the best thing she could be.

10. Her drive can't be stifled.

For anything... including spontaneous hot dog eating contests at lunch. Not only can she not be stopped, but she is the kind of woman who won't let go of any slack because she knows that the little bits of slack can add up over time until you've lost what made you the best. And Cristina Yang is the best.

11. She is Cristina Yang.

Need I explain more?