11 Pokemon Go Hacks You Need To Know | The Odyssey Online

11 Pokemon Go Hacks You Need To Know

Take full advantage of a variety of features within the game

94
11 Pokemon Go Hacks You Need To Know
engadget

Within the last few weeks, a phenomenon has taken over the iTunes store that has everyone going outside and exercising. Pokemon Go is an app that allows you to virtually collect Pokemon and participate in gym battles. The game did not come with any instructions, so the nation has been learning together. Here are 11 tips and tricks that you didn't know about Pokemon Go!

1. How to pick up missed Poke balls.

There is a rumor going around that if you throw a Poke ball at a Pokemon and miss, you can tap it to pick it back up. This could be a myth, but it’s worth trying!

2. Poke Stops.

The blue cubes that are located around various areas are called Poke Stops. Stop at one of these marks and spin the image coin to get Poke balls, potions, revives, eggs, etc.

3. Lures and incense.

Lures can be used at Poke Stops to draw in Pokemon. When there is an active Lure, anyone in the area of that Poke Stop can use it.

How to use a Lure: Go to a Poke Stop and select the white, oval like button at the top of the image coin. From there you will be able to select Lures from your bag to set up. Remember, each egg only lasts for a limited time.

Along with Lures, there are items called Incense that can be used anywhere. Each Incense will attract wild Pokemon to your location (normally around one per five minutes out of thirty). Unlike the Lure, Incense can only be used privately.

Tip: Incense can be used in collaboration with Lures. Doing so gives the potential for more Pokemon to show up!

4. Lucky eggs.

Lucky eggs can be found at various Poke Stops. Using a lucky egg increases experience points for a limited time. Using an egg while using a Lure and/or Incense is ideal.

Tip: When using an egg, rather than just transferring a duplicate Pokemon, if possible, evolve as many Pokemon you can to get the max use out of the egg!

5. Transferring Pokemon.

Transferring Pokemon to Professor Oak is easy and candies are the reward (look below to find out what candies are)! When capturing duplicate Pokemon, if you scroll all the way down on the Pokemon’s stats screen, there is a button that says transfer. Remember, once you transfer you cannot get the Pokemon back.

6. Candies.

Candies are what you get from transferring and capturing Pokemon. You can use candies to level up and evolve your Pokemon.

7. GPS location.

One of the biggest factors that have this game in the spotlight is the use of a GPS grid. When hunting for Pokemon, the app follows along with your steps and will connect with gyms, Poke Stops, Pokemon, etc. Cool, right?

Tip: To hatch an egg (not a Lucky one), just walk!

8. The exercise factor

This game gets you moving. From finding Pokemon to finding Poke Stops, you’re always on the go. Oh, and those eggs you get that you have to hatch? Place those suckers in an incubator and start walking -- reach the specified distance of the egg and you’ll get a surprise!

Fun fact: You can’t cheat when driving because the app monitors speed!

9. How to tell if Pokemon are near.

In the bottom right hand corner of the game, there is a white strip that shows between one and three Pokemon -- that means there are some nearby you. If you click on that strip, a pop-up screen will appear and show you other Pokemon nearby. Until you come into contact with a specific Pokemon, their image will be shaded out, but the outline will still be there! Heads up, three paws equals three paces! If the Pokemon disappears off the screen that means you’re heading in the wrong direction. When there are no more paws it means you’re right at that Pokemon!

10. How to heal your Pokemon.

This may seem a little bit obvious, but it’s always good to know. Unlike the Game Boy versions of Pokemon games, there is no healing center. Rather, you have to use items such as potions and revives to heal your Pokemon.

11. Gyms.

Gyms are located around popular areas. To obtain a gym, a stimulation of a Pokemon battle is done. The higher the level, the better chance of winning. Don’t forget: knowing the weaknesses of each Pokemon can come in handy when choosing which Pokemon are to engage in the battle. Once you become a gym leader, you are in rule of that gym until defeated. One of the benefits of taking over a gym is getting coins that are used to buy Poke balls, potions, etc. that you would otherwise have to pay for.

Pokemon Go is still a learning experience, but as the makers intended, collaboration with others is key! Now all you need to do is pick a team and get going!