11 Perks of Living In a Chicago Suburb | The Odyssey Online

11 Perks of Living In a Chicago Suburb

Because now I'm in the middle of corn fields.

236
11 Perks of Living In a Chicago Suburb
Chicago Tribune

Although I go to Eureka College and now live in a small town for most of the year, I grew up in the suburb. Living in Eureka has its perks, but it also has me appreciating everything that I had as a result of living near the third largest city in the U.S. There are also plenty of downsides, but I’ll cover that in another list.

1. The Stores Are Really Close

Unlike out here where the nearest Walmart is twenty minutes away, I lived with two Walmarts within 10 minutes of me. I could also bike to Target in 15. Dunkin Donuts is just around the corner from my house.

2. The Multitude Of Shops

Just across from high school is an Indian ethnic store, Subway, Family Video, Jake’s Gyros, and a Shell gas station. I love that there is always something open that has what you need; the Dunkin Donuts by my house closes at 10pm, but the one in Buffalo Grove, 15 minutes away, is open until midnight. Sometimes you go even when you don't need to just to be out of the house.

3. Quality Sushi

As there is much less demand for Chinese and Japanese food out here, it seems that the cheaper versions of sushi were the only ones to survive the market. I’m not saying I’m not still thankful that it's available, but it really makes me appreciate the sushi back home.

4. Available Jobs

Since there are so many more businesses in the suburbs, there are simply more jobs available. New stores are always moving in and the fast food store can have some pretty bad turnover, so someone is always looking for employees. I'm not saying they're all great jobs, but there are a lot of them.

5. Sidewalks

For some reason, there are some sidewalks in Eureka, but they end when you really need them. They are either not there or are poorly maintained. They make walking and biking to stores much easier and safer in the suburbs.

6. There Are More Than Two Traffic Lights

This is more just because I think it’s hilarious that the entire town of Eureka has only two traffic lights; I’ve even seen towns with less.

7. The Diversity Of My School And Community

It amazing to get to know and take part in so many different cultures. My high school was super diverse, and I’ve learned so much from getting to know so many beautiful people. Not to mention the ethnic shops around.

8. Large Schools

My large high school afforded us so many things that a small school could not have; it was the first public school to install a nanotechnology lab, offered tons of different sports and classes, has a 3D printer and has a program for students to become CNAs.

9. The Quality Of Goods At Goodwill

I’m not saying there isn’t some really cool stuff at the Et Cetera shop and the Goodwill in Washington, because there is, but there are so much more in the way of clothes in the suburbs. They get their donations from suburban families who buy from popular brands. I was able to buy most of my wardrobe from Goodwill, my two prom dresses and a lot of my school supplies.

10. Multiple Transportation Options

You can take the bus and the Metra, you can call a taxi or Uber, and if you go into Chicago there are not only multiple ways to get around the city, but you can take the Amtrak and Greyhound out of Union Station to just about anywhere in the country.

11. All Of The Events That Go On Year Round

There is Lollapalooza, the Pride Parade, a multitude of sports events and stadiums nearby, and different circus that come into town just to name a few.