11 Things To Do In Killeen, Texas

11 Things To Do In Killeen, Texas

Because if you ask 99 percent of Central Texans, Killeen has "literally nothing to do for fun."

20291
11 Things To Do In Killeen, Texas
Google

Killeen, Texas, is a place known by many, especially if you are from the Central Texas area. It is known for representing the "254," the K-town anthem, being near an Army post, and most importantly, having absolutely nothing to do for fun. The following are some fun things to do in Killeen and the surrounding areas that many people do not know or think about. Enjoy one of these the next time you are sitting around saying, "This town is so boring!" (Which I know happens every day).

1. The Stillhouse Hollow Lake Cliffs

Although these are not technically in Killeen, this is a personal favorite summertime activity. The cliffs are located off of the Stillhouse Hollow Dam exit and are an exclusive area that many people do not know about. This may be because it is a no trespassing area, but that's beside the point. Taking some friends to go jump off of rocks into a lake is one of my favorite activities to do when I am in Killeen for the summer.

2. Central Texas State Fair

The fair is an annual event, yet most people do not take advantage of it. It has fun rides, great fried food, and games. All three of those sound like perks to me! Plus, this would be a really fun date night activity.

3. Mayborn Planetarium

The planetarium is something that I think everyone knows about, but never considers when thinking of things to do for fun. It may not seem like the most fun at first thought, but it actually has some pretty cool features. If you are interested in space at all, I suggest checking it out. Also, they play IMAX movies in there on the weekends!

4. Nature in Lights

Although this is only around during the Holidays, this is definitely one of my favorite things to do near Killeen. BLORA park becomes a gallery of Christmas lights and shows that are both romantic or fun for the whole family. When December rolls around, I definitely recommend doing this one.

5. Killeen Parks and Rec Concerts in the Park

This one is one that many do not know about or take advantage of. The Killeen Parks and Recreation department hosts free concerts in parks often. All you have to do is look up the next show, grab a friend and blanket, and go! Who doesn't love free music?

6. Schoepf's BBQ

Belton, Texas, has a BBQ restaurant/dance hall called Schoepf's. Not only is their BBQ to die for, but they put on country music live shows as well for entertainment. During the spring and summer, (around April to September) every Thursday night becomes a fun night out to go two stepping and listen to some good old fashioned Texas Country artists.

7. Boulder's Climbing Center

Boulder's has been around forever, and unfortunately, many think of it as a little kid's birthday party place. This is not the case! Boulder's has an entire building full of different difficulties of climbing walls, and even high school and college students could have fun doing this. I love rock climbing, and I wish my college town had a place like this!

8. Fuego

If you are looking for a fun night out, look to Fuego. Fuego is a newly developed club off of Fort Hood street (formerly Starlight and Cody's) that will ensure a good time. From drink specials to dancing, this club will not disappoint.

9. Dana Peak Park Hiking Trails

Hiking is always a fun activity. Some people see it as looming because it is exercise, but hiking is actually a great way to enjoy nature and a fun work out all in one. Dana Peak Park has some of the prettiest trails that I have seen in the Killeen area, so be sure to check them out. It is also located next to the lake!

10. Summer Fun Water Park

Located in Belton, Texas, is Summer Fun Water Park. Although not the biggest water park around, it still can be enjoyed. It has plenty of slides and pools that will surely cool you and other friends off on a hot Texas day.

11. Painting with a Twist

One of the lesser known locations for fun would be Painting with a Twist. This place is somewhere where you can go and relax and paint without the urgency to be a professional. (PSA: The "twist" is wine for all you wine-o's out there).

Most people think of Killeen as one of the most boring cities around. Ask anyone what they do for fun around here and their answers will be along the lines of "Netflix, go to Target, eat, sleep, party, see movies" or the dreaded answer, "literally nothing." Next time y'all want to say that Killeen has no opportunities for fun, refer to this list. Enjoy!