11 Common Fitness Myths

11 Common Fitness Myths

How widely-believed exercise advice is really holding you back

9
11 Common Fitness Myths

Whether you’re completely new to working out or used to staying fit, there are plenty of fitness myths you shouldn’t fall for. From nutrition to working out, here are 11 fitness misconceptions that might be slowing you down.

1. Skipping breakfast is a good form of fasting.

Recently, there have been numerous articles and blog posts regarding this myth. Even the Huffington Post has perpetuated this idea with their article, “Why It’s Okay to Skip Breakfast.” Contrary to this line of thinking, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is more than just a saying. Eating breakfast is an easy way to get vitamins and minerals from healthier foods and is a great way to prevent overeating later in the day. Studies show that those who have lost weight and are able to keep the weight off do eat breakfast regularly.

2. Certain exercises can target fat.

This is one of the most commonly portrayed fitness myths out there. Despite the numerous “flat belly” workouts readily available online, you cannot spot train fat. Crunches and planks alone won’t help you readily lose belly fat. In order to get rid of problem areas, place more of an emphasis on calorie burning exercises in general. You can always do calorie burning exercises in addition to those stomach workouts to both tone muscle and burn calories to really get a jump on your fitness goals.

3. You should stretch before you exercise.

There are so many rumors surrounding stretching in the world of exercise. The claims that stretching before exercise can help prevent injury and loosen you up for exercise is completely unsubstantiated. For athletes, stretching before you train can actually weaken your performance. That being said, you shouldn’t go into a workout without any preparation. Doing warm-up exercises like high-knees can help get you ready for your workout without hindering your performance.

4. All calories are created equal.

Although weight loss is usually approached with a “calories in, calories out” mentality, the calories you consume aren’t as important as the type of foods you are eating. The food you eat is fuel for your body. That being said, there is a huge difference between eating a 100 calorie pack of almonds and 100 calories worth of potato chips. Junk foods just add empty calories to your daily intake. These calories provide no nutritional value to your body and not only make exercise more difficult, but also make overeating more likely due to the fact that they have no sustaining qualities.

5. Adding distance to your cardio is the best way to burn more calories.

Although adding distance to a run or exercise is a great idea, it may not be the best way to burn calories. Once you get used to distance running, your body becomes more efficient in terms of how it uses it’s energy. Instead of making your cardio last longer, try doing interval exercises instead. That way your body is forced to use energy reserves more quickly and burns more calories than regular distance running.

6. The more time you spend in the gym, the better.

Instead of trying to spend your normal hour at the gym, try finding exercises that challenge you. By changing up your routine regularly and trying entirely new exercises you can cut your gym time in half. The amount of time spent exercising isn’t nearly as important as they types of exercises you do.

7. Weight training doesn’t burn many calories as cardio.

Although cardio typically burns more calories during your workout, you shouldn’t discredit the after-burn benefits of weightlifting. In some cases, weightlifting can burn significantly more calories during the post-workout period than traditional cardio. To reap these benefits, just try adding some weight lifting into your fitness regimen! This way you will maximize your metabolism boost and calorie burn following your workout.

8. Squats are bad for your knees.

This is a huge misconception that makes many people avoid squats altogether. Despite the popular belief that squatting below a 90% angle could lead to significant knee damage in the future, there is no evidence that backs this claim up. There is no correlation between regularly doing full range squats and knee pain or damage.

9. High weight, low rep exercises are good for bulking and low weight high rep exercises are for toning.

Many women avoid heavy weights for the fear of bulking up and many men only use heavy weights for the purpose of gaining muscle more quickly. Contrary to this pattern, recent studies have shown that completing low weight, high repetition lifting until a failed rep occurs helps stimulate muscle growth just as effectively as high weight, low rep lifting. Instead of avoiding a certain weight, mixing high weight and low weight exercises is the best way to tone and build muscle.

10. You need to go to a gym.

For many people, joining a gym marks the beginning of their fitness journey. Although going to a gym regularly is a great way to make exercise a part of your routine, you don’t need a gym membership to start exercising and eventually reach your goals. There are tons of online workouts that you can do with little to no equipment in almost any space that you have. This allows you to adjust your workout to your own skill level and gives you the freedom to exercise whenever and wherever you want! The goal is physical results.

11. The goal is physical results.

Most people think of exercise as being used for aesthetic purposes. Even though exercising can help you achieve any physical goals you may have, there are so many other benefits to fitness. It has been shown that there is a link between your body’s antibody production and regular exercise. In addition to a boosted immune system, your body releases endorphins when you exercise. These neuro-chemicals have the ability to trigger more positive feelings and increase your overall happiness. The benefits are endless!

No matter what your experience is with fitness, don’t fall for the myths. In order to optimize your results and be as satisfied as possible, continue to push yourself and be sure to do your research!