11 British Slang Terms That Everyone Should Know | The Odyssey Online

11 British Slang Terms That Everyone Should Know

A British starter pack.

135

Being a Brit living in America has its perks and disadvantages, but one disadvantage is that it took a while to adjust to American colloquialisms and, as nobody understood them, not use British slang. The only people I could use these terms with are my family, and my friends via text who are "across the pond". Whether you are traveling to England or meet a British person, these are some good-to-know idioms to get you through the day.

1. Arsed/Bothered

Typically stated as "Can't be arsed" or "Can't be bothered," it is a term used to express extreme reluctance to start, continue or finish a task that you feel is burdensome. When put into a sentence, I abbreviate to CBA as followed "I CBA to start this assignment" but when using the word bothered I say "I can't be bothered."

2. Posh

When moving to the America, I was often referred to as proper, which I grew to realize was the Southern equivalent. The word posh refers to someone exceptionally sophisticated, whether it be their accent, mannerisms, neighborhood, clothing or any other facet. The British TV show Made In Chelsea is an excellent portrayal.

3. Gutted

A word to express complete and utter disappointment.

4. Gobsmacked

This is to used to verbalize shock and astonishment.

5. Fuming

When you are absolutely livid or something didn't go the way you planned, this is used to express the utmost anger and seethe. "I'm absolutely fuming!"

6. Knackered

Whether it be a long day at uni, work, or you've done a bit too much physical exertion, the word knackered is uttered to signify that you are drained of sleep, energy or will power.

7. Across the pond

Used to describe being on the other side of the world. For example, my friends who I had known since I was a child are across the pond, i.e. I am in America, they are in England.

8. Taking the piss

This has several meanings. When someone is teasing you, they are taking the piss. However, it could also express impatience and annoyance "This line is taking the piss" or "This homework is taking the piss."

9. Chav

The bottom of the social ladder. Rude, loud, immoral trouble-makers dressed in tracksuits. When describing someone that harnesses any of those characters, you call them chavvy.

10. Cheeky

Put in front of activities to make it sound scandalous or spontaneous. Typically used to spice up a relatively mundane task. I'm sure you've heard of a cheeky Nando's.

11. Rubbish

When something is a load of crap or someone is full of crap, it is referred to as rubbish. "This show is rubbish."