The 10 Worst Things About The Beach | The Odyssey Online

The 10 Worst Things About The Beach

I mean I love the beach as much as the next suburban white girl, but at what cost?

986
The 10 Worst Things About The Beach
Dahlia Dehaan

1. Getting a sunburn

This can make or break a person. After spending all day gazing at the beautiful nature Mother Nature has blessed us with, she stabs us right in the back with a pain worse than a thousand suns. Your sunburn essentially is your own personal furnace where ever you go, hot to the touch and constantly radiating heat.

2. Seagulls

Seagulls are the sea's rodents. These sea pests will do anything to snatch a piece of people food. I have and will continue to have no respect for them. I mean they're not even paying taxes on the food they steal. Freeloaders.

3. When the temperature gets to the point where it's hard to breathe

Everyone knows this feeling. To reach the state of "oh my god, every breathe I take is a battle" temperature is usually around 85 degrees and above. Sitting on the hot sand, in the direct path of the sun and breathing warm, humid air takes the fun out of going to the beach. In life is a beach at that point. (Get it? My roommate Dahlia would have laughed at that joke).

4. Children. Everywhere.

Kids ages 3 - 13 + sand + heat = tantrums. Lots of them. Oh and diapers left on the beach, sand throwing, fights with siblings, accidents, rock hurling. Get the picture?

5. Seagulls

They deserve to be on here twice. They're Water Criminals (get it, water - war. War Criminals - Water Criminals). You're welcome Dahlia.

6. Getting into the car with sandy feet

You were just trying to cool off in the water. Now you have the hot sand stuck to every crevasse on your feet. The sand will now rub off in the car and get everywhere, eventually requiring you to vacuum up at some point. You were just trying to have a good time.

7. Beach patrons who decide it's time to move in

You know these type of people. They pick literally anything and everything they can think of. Large patio tent? Got it. Grill? Sure, why not. A child's full Lego Star Wars Builders set? You betcha.

8. The really weird things that wash ashore

Why does the world still pollute? I'm trying to get my beach up and the tide brings in all sorts of things. Needles, car parts, parts of dead animals, diapers. Make it stop!

9. WHY DID ANYONE DECIDE CREATING A SEAGULL WAS A GOOD IDEA?

Look, whoever working the magic upstairs should get a stern talking to and rethink their career. Seagulls are so useless and such a waste of space. #DownWithSeagulls

And the absolute worst thing...

10. Having to leave

I love that I grew up on the beach and have fallen in love with the ocean. I will take all of these less than great things just to be able to feel that ocean breeze and the sand in between my toes.

But the seagulls...