10 Weird Things About Pittsbugh You'll Miss When You Leave For College

Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone

53
Reddit

It's that time of year again: when college freshmen pack up all their belongings, hug mom and/or dad and begin their new chapter in life. For many, leaving their hometowns is a huge part of that process. You will obviously miss your friends, family and pets.However, if you're from Pittsburgh, you know that you aren't just leaving a hometown, you're leaving a way of life. Granted, there are some differences that are expected when leaving for a new city, but there are some things that you do not expect to miss.

1. Pittsburgh-ese

While every Pittsburgh is aware of our awesome dialect, there are some differences that are not expected. For example, the use of "whenever" instead of "when" is something most people do not notice while living in Pittsburgh, but will become apparent when your friends repeatedly make fun of you for it.

Also, the use of a positive "anymore" when there is no negative word for the sentence is a grammatical difference that may stick out like a sore thumb. Most people do not think they have an accent coming from Pittsburgh, or at least if they do, it is not as bad as Pittsburgh Dad's, but trust me, you do, and it will get noticed.

2. IT'S CALLED POP.

When you go out of state, or even to the other side of the state, some heathens will try to convince you that pop is called soda (or God forbid, Coke). It's called pop. This is an issue worth fighting for.

3. Food

Everyone knows they are going to miss a Primanti's sandwich, the occasional smiley cookie and a Sheetz Run, but there are some food differences that you wouldn't expect. Granted, my experience is limited to going to school in the Buffalo/ Niagara Falls area, but the differences can shock people. The biggest atrocity is the default to blue cheese instead of ranch. That is a human rights violation that needs to be addressed. Moreover, be prepared for funny looks when ordering a hoagie. You've been warned.

(Side note: When getting Buffalo wings in Buffalo it usually just means hot sauce not the delicious mixture of hot sauce, butter, and garlic that the rest of the country has come to know as "Buffalo" Sauce" they also call "Buffalo Chicken Dip", "Chicken Wing Dip." 'Tis a silly place.)

4. The Beauty of the 'Burgh

Every Yinzer knows their city is more beautiful than the average city, but the extent of the aesthetic beauty is not fully appreciated until you go away for college. The new found appreciation stems from both the comparison to the bland nature of other cities, and watching the skyline grow in the distance being the definitive sign that you are home.

5. Sports

Other cities just do not have teams as awesome as ours, so naturally there is not as much enthusiasm about sports. Also, be prepared to be on the receiving end of passive aggressive comments and side eye when you wear your Sidney Crosby jersey in support of the objectively best player and team in hockey at the moment.

6. The Arts

While many cities have vibrant art and performance communities, there really is no comparison to Pittsburgh's cultural district. There is an amazing diversity of the arts that other cities lack, but most of all, Pittsburgh lends all of its artists an aura that runs through the very heart of their work that just doesn't appear outside the 'Burgh.

7. "Carnegie"

Everyone pronounces Carnegie wrong. When these plebeians question you, refer them here.

8. The Lack of Taxes

Depending on where you go to school, your food and clothes may be taxed and it sucks. Do your shopping at home before you go!

9. Alcohol

There is alcohol everywhere! Walmart, target, gas stations-- it is a speakeasy everywhere outside of PA!

10. Talking About Pittsburgh

Because Pittsburghers know how awesome Pittsburgh is, we talk about it all the time. Unfortunately, not everyone you go to school was lucky enough to grow up in the 412 or a city as remotely cool. This will leave your friends wondering why you "never shut up about Pittsburgh." The only way to fix this is to take your friends home with you on break and show them how awesome the 'Burgh is. (This has a 100% success rate).

Overall, you will miss a lot of things when you go to a new school, but if you are lucky you will end up with two places you call home, even though you'll always bleed black and gold.