My Top 10 Greatest Running Mantras

My Top 10 Greatest Running Mantras

*In Dory Voice* "Just keep running, just keep running, running, running."

3354
My Top 10 Greatest Running Mantras
nike

I didn't even know what a "mantra" was a few months ago when I started training for my first half marathon. Now, three weeks away from race day, I find myself reflecting on my motivation for running, the mantras I've found useful and their sheer power. A mantra is defined by Google dictionary as a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation. In this case, my meditation is running. No matter how much you love it, times can still get tough during those hours on the trails. Here's 10 mantras that I've grown to love in my time during training. Write some on your arm, print them out, memorize 'em, make a bracelet out of your favorite...mantras will become your best friends while running if you haven't been using one (or, in my case, several,) already.

1. "Sky above me. Earth below me. Fire within me."

Short, simple, sweet. It helps ground you when you get to that "airy" or lightheaded auto-pilot feeling during your runs.

2. "I breathe in strength; I breathe out weakness." -Amy Hastings

Marathon runner Amy Hastings created this as her running mantra and uses it during races in order to ground herself. It's worked for me, too. You are strong, and you can get through anything you put your mind to.

3. "Stronger with every mile."

In a way, this couldn't be more true. You are strong. You were built for this. Keep going.

4. [Insert Name Here]. That's motivation enough.

Sometimes my mantra becomes the name of a specific person. It can be a family member, a loved one, a friend, or anyone who means something to you. It motivates me to run harder, faster, and longer.

5. "I run for those who can't."

Simply stated, this is one of the most powerful motivators for me. Knowing that I am capable of something that some could only dream of doing is something that powers me through every tough step. I am so blessed to be able to do this sport and to be able to love it. I take for granted these feet, their abilities, this body...and during the tough runs, I often think of those who would give anything just to feel their feet pound the pavement. They inspire me to keep running.

6. "My Race. My Pace."

I'll say this nice and loud for the people in the back: It's okay if you aren't a fast runner...it is far more important that you love what you do. I used to think that a "bad run" was when I didn't hit the pace I wanted. But really, you need to focus on the pace and the distance that makes you happiest. If you're completely angry, out of breath, and hating every millisecond of the run by the end of each session, you may be pushing yourself a little too hard. There's NO shame in scaling back. It does not make you any less of a runner, and you are no less strong or brave or wonderful for it. Keep the miles coming...but do it all at YOUR pace, not someone else's.

7. "It doesn't get easier...YOU just get stronger."

Whether it's one mile or 10, running is not easy. But the sobering thing about it is, the more you do it, the stronger you are for it. A year ago, I had never run more than 3 miles at a slow pace. I've now far surpassed the days of the treadmill 5k to running full bike trails and long loops. NONE of those runs have been easy. They have all challenged, pushed, and changed me. But I am stronger for them all. You are (and you will be) too. Keep going.

8. "Don't listen. Don't look. Just run." -Christine Fennessy

All too often, I get caught up with what my phone tracker says. How's my pace? Am I staying on track? What mile is it? Is this song upbeat enough? Sometimes the best thing you can do is silence all of those thoughts, and tell your brain to stop whirring. Just run.

9. "...and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." Hebrews 12:1.

Sometimes, scripture is the only thing that will propel me forward. In terms of race and running favorites, this one takes the cake. YOU can persevere. One foot in front of the other. That's all it takes. The race is set before you. You can do it.

10. "Run the mile you're IN."

This is one of my absolute favorites. Take it one mile, one kilometer, one foot at a time. Do the best you can right now, and the rest will follow. Run here, run now, don't stop.

...Keep going, runner. I know you've got this.