10 Underrated Disney Movies That Everyone Needs To Watch

Disney masterpieces that just didn't get the spotlight.

39
Wizard Dojo

We all know "The Little Mermaid," "The Lion King" and, of course, "Frozen," but there’s still a plethora of other films produced by Disney that don’t get the spotlight as often. Why? Who knows. Maybe it was the song placements or maybe an annoying side character that threw off the groove of the movie or just plain bad marketing. But one thing’s for sure, these movies still possess the strong values and good role models that every child needs in their life.

1. "Lilo and Stitch" (2002)

Plot: A genetic experiment (alien) crash lands on Hawaii and is mistakenly adopted as a dog (yes, a blue dog) by Lilo, a sweet but strong-headed girl who lives with her sister Nani.

Main character traits: Hard headed, unique, rambunctious

Lesson taught: Accept everyone for who they are; family is everything, and it’s not always blood that makes up a family, it’s who cares most about you.

2. "The Emperor’s New Groove" (2000)

Plot: A young (and selfish) Incan emperor fires his head advisor who then turns him in to a llama. The obvious choice. Kuzco the llama then befriends an unsuspecting villager, who is a little freaked out at first that the llama is talking to him, and they then have to make their way back to the palace to try and change Kuzco back.

Main character traits: Selfish, obnoxious, whiny

Lesson taught: To be selfless when it comes to being a leader and to understand everyone’s situation and to not just think about yourself.

3."The Princess and the Frog" (2009)

Plot: A young waitress spends her entire life working and saving money to buy a building for her own restaurant, only to be told by the bankers that a little woman like herself could never do such a thing (yeah, bye). She accidently kisses a frog (ew) and turns into a frog herself and they set off on a quest to try and turn themselves back into humans.

Main character traits: Hardworking, dedicated, aspirational

Lesson taught: You can be determined and aspirational and hardworking, but sometimes you need to accept the help of others to be able to accomplish your dream.

4. "Brother Bear" (2003)

Plot: After the eldest brother of three dies in an accident with a bear, Kenai, the youngest, sets out to avenge his brother’s death and to kill the bear. Mystical spirits then transform Kenai into a bear. Confused and disoriented, Kenai meets a young bear, Koda, and they set off to find Koda’s mom and to find where the lights touch the earth so that Kenai can turn back into a human.

Main character traits: Absentminded, selfish, irresponsible

Lesson taught: Love is much more than a family bond, and being a role model for someone can mean the world.

5. "Treasure Planet" (2002)

Plot: After finding a map to a planet made completely of treasure, Jim Hawkins joins a crew of misfits in the search for treasure so he can help his mother rebuild their inn.

Main character traits: Isolated, aloof, defiant

Lesson taught: Stereotypes are not always accurate, but if you are willing to work with others and are dedicated, you can achieve so much.

6. "Hercules" (1997)

Plot: A demi-god raised by human parents in Greece is seen as an outcast because of his inhuman strength and awkward people skills. Hercules finds himself in Zeus’ temple where the god tells him that he is actually his son and to become a god again, Hercules needs to prove himself as a hero.

Main character traits: Awkward, considerate, strong willed

Lesson taught: Being a hero is determined by strength, but by compassion and the courage to sacrifice something of your own for someone else.

7. "Hunchback of Notre Dame" (1996)

Plot: A deformed baby is raised by an evil priest who hides him from the world. Quasimodo longs to be in the outside world but is humiliated once he finally goes outside. After falling in love with a gypsy, his heart is broken once she falls in love with another.

Main character traits: Timid, curious, compassionate

Lesson taught: Being different is not a bad thing, but you must embrace your differences.

8. "The Rescuers" (1977)

Plot: During a United Nations meeting (hosted by the International Mouse Organization), a confident Hungarian mouse and a timid janitor mouse pair up to save a little girl from her evil captor in the Louisiana bayou.

Main character traits: Kind, adventurous, determined

Lesson taught: To not be afraid to do what is right, even if that means to be a little more adventurous and a little more courageous.

9. "Zootopia" (2016)

Plot: A determined bunny rabbit sets off to become a police officer in one of the largest cities in the country, Zooptopia, against all odds. Becoming the first bunny police officer ever, Judy has to overcome obstacles and makes an unlikely friend to stop the mysterious incidences in the city.

Main character traits: Spunky, energetic, determined

Lesson taught: Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something; you shouldn't always believe everything someone says, make your own decisions on who to trust and trust your gut when you think something may be wrong.

10. "Big Hero 6" (2014)

Plot: After the death of his brother, 14-year-old Hiro falls into a spell of depression. But after connecting with his brother's robot, Baymax, the two team up with friends to stop an evil masked man from taking over the world.

Main character traits: Intelligent, clever, caring

Lesson taught: Your friends are always there for you no matter what, and opening your heart to them can benefit you emotionally.