10 Things Your College Professors Do That Your High School Teachers Didn't | The Odyssey Online

10 Things Your College Professors Do That Your High School Teachers Didn't

Please don't raise your hand to go to the bathroom.

1464

Going from high school to college is like taking off the training wheels and riding on your own for the first time. No longer are you bound by the endless rules that went along with being in high school. Going to college means entering a new atmosphere where you are considered an adult. One of the biggest changes from high school to college are the professors. Here are just a few of the great things that your college professors do that your high school teachers didn't.

1. Cancel Class

In high school, teachers would never cancel a class. If the teacher couldn't make it to school one day, students were still expected to and a substitute would ensure the class would go on.

2. Use Swear Words

In high school, teachers would never think to throw around F bombs or other curse words. Teachers knew they could receive serious consequences if a student or parent ever complained to the administration. In college, professors know that students are mature and old enough to handle some "bad" words.

3. Invite You To Their Home

Teachers in high school never welcomed their students over for dinner, because it was looked at as inappropriate. College Professors interact with students on a more equal level and its not a rare occurrence for a professor to invite students over for a home cooked meal.

4. Recognize That College Students Party

College professors will joke around with students about alcohol and going out on weekdays because they know many students do it. High school teachers never acknowledge that their students may go out on the weekends because it was never appropriate to acknowledge underage drinking.

5. Tell You About Their Personal Lives

In high school, teachers don't share their personal life with students. It was always surprising to see your teacher outside of school and learn that they had a family, because they never mentioned them in school. In college, professors talk about themselves all the time and on the first day of class you will usually get their entire back story.

6. Bring You Dinner

Its a rare occurrence for a high school teacher to go out of their way and bring their entire class dinner for no reason. In college, especially for night classes, professors may surprise their students with pizza or other food just because they want to.

7. End Class Early

In college, when a professor ends a lecture early, it usually means class is over no matter how much time is left. High school teachers never end class early because there's no where for their students to go and there usually is a rule about kids wandering around the hall way between bells.

8. Treat You Like An Adult

College professors will never treat their students like teenagers, but as adults. In high school, students have to ask to use the restroom and can get away with missing class every week. In college, professors give their students the freedom to make their own choices and face the consequences.

9. Sets Aside Time To Help You

College professors want their students to succeed, so they offer hours to come for extra help. Even if students don't make an appointment, professors have office hours where they are on campus and ready to assist their students. In high school, students would have to ask their teachers to stay after school in advance and it was never a guarantee the teacher would be able to.

10. Give You Great Career Advice

High school teachers mostly teach core subjects like English and basic math, so there is not much career orientated discussion. Most college professors have field experience in the subject they are teaching. Because college gives students classes that pertain to their major, their professors are equipped with the capability to give their students knowledgable advice about the career they want.