10 Things To Do This Summer | The Odyssey Online

10 Things To Do This Summer

Because planning your summer after long days in class can be hard

28
10 Things To Do This Summer
techieprince.files.wordpress.com

The deadline for finals is fast approaching for some and already here and gone for others. With summer on the horizon, it’s a big question as to how to spend the few weeks of freedom students get. So, what are you going to do? For some people, they’ll be working. (Like me.) For others, they’ll be getting ahead for school. (Me again.) But even those who are really busy will have a day or two that they’ll have free for some leisure activity. So, again, I ask, --what are you planning on doing? If you’re not sure, or are looking for some suggestions, look no further. I have a few ideas that might spark your interest for the upcoming sunny season.

1. Take a nap.

Let’s be honest: after 18 weeks of nonstop school, you’re exhausted. You need some time to recharge those batteries and get your feet back under you, and that’s OK. Take a load off! Sleep late in the morning, take an afternoon catnap, or take a nap that turns into a long and needed sleep. No matter how you go about it, sleep like there’s no deadlines coming at you.

2. Learn to cook something new.

Cooking is therapeutic in many ways. It’s calming, it’s delicious, and it’s a skill you need to know for life. There are lots of recipes out there on the internet and in cookbooks, so there’s nothing stopping you from finding something that sounds delicious. Learn how to make a cheesecake by hand, how to properly cook a steak, or how to perfectly bake ratatouille. Find what sounds good to you and run with it!

3. Go on a hike.

Hikes are amazing. They get you out in the open doors, they let you breathe in some good and wholesome air, and they allow you to get lots of exercise. What’s better than that? No matter where you live, there are usually hiking trails nearby that can range from beginners to experienced hikers, so you can find a trail that works for you. Take a friend or go by yourself. Either way, get out there and enjoy nature.

4. Go on a road trip.

Road trips are the classic vacation trip to take. You get to go and see new places, enjoy new things, and bond with those who go with you. You get an opportunity to grow as a person and experience things that go outside of your comfort zone. It’s a trip that will never get old, and it’s something everyone should do once.

5. See a movie.

This is the summer of movies. There’s "Finding Dory," "Suicide Squad," "Captain America: Civil War," "Independence Day: Resurgence," and more. It’s a relaxing activity that’s fun and can be enjoyed in groups or by yourself. As the song says: "Let’s go to the movies!"

6. Have game night with friends.

With all of the new games hitting the market, you can usually find a game that will fit perfectly with you and your friend’s personalities. It can be a card game, a board game, a game of wits, a game of sarcasm, a game of luck, and so on. Make some homemade guacamole and salsa, invite your closest friends, and spend the night laughing and bonding.

7. Pet every dog you see.

This was my New Year’s resolution, and it’s been the best one I’ve made yet. Petting a dog is so lovely and brings a smile to anyone’s face, so why wouldn’t you try to achieve this goal? A few rules, though: always ask the owner if you can pet their dog; make sure you’re gentle so as not to hurt the canine; and if the dog is wearing a vest, be sure to look but don’t touch. Those dogs are service dogs and cannot be distracted by pets and attention from others.

8. Try something that scares you.

This can be anything, really. Everyone’s comfort level is different, so be sure to not overextend yourself if you go with this suggestion. Some ideas include: skydiving, bungee jumping, learning to drive a manual car, learning a new instrument, and entering a contest that caters to your skills.

9. Go dancing.

This is one of the best suggestions I have. There are lots of ballroom’s around that want to teach you how to dance. Once you find one, get a partner and go learn! Or find a ballroom that teaches individual dancing if that’s what you’re in to. Get familiar with how to dance and then go out and practice your moves with friends or with a lover. It’s a great form of exercise, and you’ll love every minute of it.

10. See the Milky Way.

From most cities, you can look up at the night sky and see stars dot the sky. What you can’t see, though, is the Milky Way. To do that, you need to go somewhere dark, away from the light polluted city. Once you’re out in nature, you can look up and see stars you never knew existed. It’s really an amazing experience to have, and it’s one I will always recommend for others to go try.

Hopefully, some of these suggestions tickle your fancy. No matter what, try to go out and have a great summer. Make memories that will last a lifetime.