11 Things Everybody Should Know About The Caddying Lifestyle | The Odyssey Online

11 Things Everybody Should Know About The Caddying Lifestyle

The things that separate caddying from other summer jobs.

2876

Today's society has a countless number of opinions for caddies as well as the lifestyle they live. A lot of people feel that caddies are overpaid and do nothing but carry golf clubs. In reality, this is not the case, as there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes of a caddying position. Here are 11 things that everybody should know about the caddying lifestyle:

1. Weather

A caddie must always be aware of the weather. There really isn’t a set schedule for caddies, however, the 10-day weather forecast can give them a general idea of what days they will be working. Knowing the weather also enables a caddie to dress accordingly.

2. Wildlife

As a caddie, you must be prepared for all types of wildlife encounters, from pesky geese to dangerous coyotes and snakes. Most of the time, a golf course will be known for having some sort of wildlife, which can give a caddie an idea of what to expect while on the course.

3. Insect Bites/Stings

Something that is seemingly inevitable for a caddie is suffering some sort of insect bite or sting. Sometimes a caddie can end up in the proximity of some sort of insect, and because a caddie tends to approach the golf ball before the golfer, they are the ones to get bit and stung. There are even some cases where a bug will land on the caddie as a golfer prepares to swing, and because the caddie must be quiet and still, they get bit/stung as the golfer swings.

4. FORE!

It is important for a caddie to always be aware of their surroundings. This is because pretty much everywhere you stand leaves you open to stray golf balls. If a caddie is not aware of where the golf shots are going, not only in the group they are caddying for but the groups in front and behind them as well, there is a good chance that they will get hit with a ball at some point.

5. We walk 1,000 miles

Something a lot of people don’t realize is the amount of walking a caddie does. From walking to the parking lot in order to carry the bag of an incoming member to walking throughout the course on a loop, a caddie is constantly on their feet. Some courses stand out as an easier walk than others but either way, caddying is tough on your feet as the average caddie walks about six miles every day.

6. Water is your friend

A caddie must remember to stay hydrated while out on the course. If a caddie isn’t properly hydrated then chances are they won’t perform as well as if they were properly hydrated, which can hurt the caddie's reputation in the long run. A good rule of thumb is if you’re sweating, re-hydrate.

7. Sunblock is also your friend

Of all the things that a caddie can’t avoid, the sun is the most unavoidable. Even on a cloudy day, a caddie can suffer from sunburns. This is why it is important for a caddie to stock up on sunscreen at the beginning of the season, as caddies are subjected to the sun's harmful rays for 4+ hours every day they work.

8. Wear comfortable shoes that are cheap

As stated before, caddies do a lot of walking. One would assume that the best shoe for a caddie to wear is a golf shoe just like the golfers they are caddying for. This isn’t the case, as golf shoes tend to cause caddies a lot of grief. The best shoe for a caddie to wear is a running shoe that has good traction. With that being said, they should not be the most expensive shoe, as shoes can easily get ruined on a muddy day.

9. Have deep pockets

The most annoying thing about being a caddie is dropping something out of your pocket into a sand bunker. The sand will not only scratch surfaces but it will also get stuck in every possible corner. If a caddie wants to protect their valuable possessions, such as their cell phone or wallet, they should consider the depth of the pockets of the pants they purchase to caddie in.

10. Eat a big breakfast

One of the most helpful things a caddie can do for themselves is eating a big breakfast. Considering that you are getting ready to carry one, possibly two golf bags that weigh approximately 30 pounds each, you’re going to want to have a breakfast that can supply you with the energy you will need to perform to the best of your abilities. The importance of a good breakfast is often overlooked and should be advocated in all caddie programs.

11. Early bird gets the worm

One of the most grueling parts of being a caddie is the early morning wake up time. In order to be a successful caddie, you must be willing to show up early and help the caddie master set up for the day. The earlier you show up only increases your chance of being in good standing with your caddie master. Failure to show up bright and early may result in a slow caddie season.