10 Things You'll Miss About Moscow, Idaho

As much as you think you hate the Dirty Scow, you actually love it.

1872
Jane Loughney Photography

There will come a time in our college careers when we will reach the finish line, the inevitable end, "graduate," if you will. And although we struggle through four years (or maybe five if you're in that victory lap), waiting for this moment of pure freedom -- no homework, no 8 a.m. classes, no finals -- we almost immediately regret ever wanting to leave. The real world? No thanks.

There's something about the quaint town of Moscow, Idaho that specifically makes this sentimental realization all the more traumatic for all you post-grads out there. It might be because we live in a tight-knit college town and call everything in the city "ours" because, well, it feels like it is. Moscow is a city that becomes home beyond the college sense.

From freshman year to beyond, Moscow will always have a couple of places and hold a couple of memories that we'll keep close to our heart long after we leave the Palouse. Here's a list of things you'll miss when you leave (or should appreciate while you're still here).

--

10. The Palouse

The rolling hills of the Palouse look beautiful from all angles and in every season. From the avid outdoorsman, to the driver passing a glance while down the hill to Lewiston, the view of the Palouse is distinguishable for us and feels like home. And that sunset over the fields ain't too bad either. Whether you're driving to Lewiston or CDA, you can find yourself lost in these rolling hills pretty much anywhere outside campus.

9. The Seasons

Summer, fall, winter, or spring, they're all equally awesome in their own respective light. Just look at the Admin in winter -- it might be one of the coolest sights we have on campus. The clear summer skies and the leaves on the trees in the fall are a pretty close tie though, I must admit. Regardless, Moscow sees the highs and lows of all the seasons, and even when our heated sidewalks don't do their job as fully as we wish, we're still lucky to see everything Northern Idaho has to offer in terms of changing seasons.

8. The UI Rec

Once you graduate, you're going to have to start paying a monthly gym membership and your new gym probably won't have a super huge rock wall or as many diverse machines as the UI Rec does. You can even look into renting tents and outdoor gear for camping trips and other recreational purposes at the Rec. This gym is so stacked with unique things, even if you don't attend regularly, you'll have wish you did when you had the chance.

7. The Arboretum

We don't have one arb, but TWO. If you haven't been, these two spots on campus have great views and are a relaxing place to walk around, bike, do homework, jog, read, etc. Above is a picture of the 63 acre arboretum behind the President's house on the UI campus, home to plants of the geographical groupings of Asian, European, Eastern, and Western North America. In the fall, all the leaves change over in color and you're left in a forest of orange and yellow watercolors.

6. Patty's Kitchen

The best Mexican food in Moscow, hands down. And the best/worst part is waiting for it to open again every spring -- that's when you know when warmer weather and summer are on its way. Their famous Beergaritas are a college favorite, and who doesn't love sitting outside on this beautiful patio in between classes? The coolest part is that "Patty's Kitchen supports Greek life," and proclaims it by having this phrase printed on the employee's shirts. Have you signed your name on the wall in The Patty Dome?

5. The UI campus

Sure, the campus is obviously school-related which might make you think you hate it right now, but the UI campus is full of great architecture, history, and memories. The fact that it only takes 15 minutes to walk across campus still floors me. There are lots of buildings and nooks and crannies that most students won't ever venture to. Did you know there's a building on campus that has a tree growing in the middle of it? Did you also know we were founded in 1889, a year before Idaho officially became a state in 1890? With all the remodels and new buildings, it's refreshing to see the spectrum of history throughout campus.

4. Vandal Football

Win or lose, we... still have a blast during Vandal Football games! We're unique to have an indoor stadium so we don't have to suffer through rain and snow to cheer on our guys. Tailgating is in our blood, rain or shine, and we love the marching band's half time show like no other. We sing our fight song proud and we cheer on Joe Vandal through every push-up. Homecoming and Dad's Weekend are two for the books, made complete with our football games being the main source. I-D-A-H-O, IDAHO IDAHO GO GO GO.

3. The bar scene

There's plenty of options for whatever kind of social drinker you might be. From the casual sipper to the sports fanatic, Moscow has a diverse bar scene that appeals to all of us.

The Garden Lounge - A more relaxed social experience, there are large, plush booths for big get together's and table service so you don't have to hang out on the bar all night. There are pool tables in the lower level and plenty of people there to chat with throughout your hangout.

CJ's - Down for karaoke? Me either, but it's there if you want it! Swing dancing upstairs on Wednesday nights and music videos playing on the dance floor of the first level, there's an upbeat feeling radiating from this bar most nights. And the fraternity/sorority karaoke wars are pretty entertaining.

Mingles - Mostly full of locals, this place takes the cake for most pool tables in a Moscow bar. Their shooters are fun and the bartenders have a witty sense of humor. This is a fun place to hang out at for while, especially on a bar hop.

The Plant - If we had a labeled country bar in Moscow, this would be it. The Plantation has swing dancing, beer pong, pool, and a unique set up. Country music and some '80s rock is normally playing, and it's always a good vibe atmosphere. Have you tried their specialty, The Ladder?

The Corner Club - Ohh, the Club. No bar list would be complete without it. You've got the famous nail and 32 oz. tubs of beer to help make this bar not only locally famous, but also recently claimed the title of "The Best Historic Bar" in the nation in The Big Tap: Historic Bars Tournament 2015. Thursday through Saturday and after every football game, you can find most of the Vandal population here, and we're damn proud of it. These walls have some memories, there's no question about it.

2. Moscow Bagel Shop

It's only fitting that Bagel Shop comes right after the bar scene, right? We all have a million punch cards in our wallets, but has anyone actually filled one? Bagel Shop is the best snack/meal during any time of the day and is unique to UI students. I don't think I've ever met someone who lives in Moscow that hasn't had their bagels. Bagel Shop is a staple in the Moscow community and is definitely something worth missing.

1. The people

We can talk about the places and the things that make Moscow a memorable place, but at the end of the day, nothing will beat having your best friends around you all day, every day. Being able to meet up with or run into friends at Starbucks or in the Commons is something we easily take for granted during our time in Moscow. Wherever you live, on campus, off campus, residence halls, Greek housing, apartments -- there's something about living in this city that keeps you grounded here and missing it the second you leave. Sure it's small and doesn't have much other than a Walmart and a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but I know I wouldn't trade the people I've met for anything more. The people are what make this place special.

--

So there you have it. Of course, this is only a list of seven. I could easily think of a hundred more things I'll miss when I graduate in a year. Until then, I'll be enjoying the last of my college time in Moscow, and I hope you all will be doing the same. See ya in the Dirty Scow, Vandals.